Wear and tear on Deus 2..

basstrackerman

Elite Member
I have a pair of deus 2 detectors and I beach hunt. I do wash off the one i use beach hunting after every use. But I'm seeing wear on the lower rod non rubber washer side. The coil ear is also wearing. All I can figure is the sand gets in there and acts as a grinder while being used. I bought an Anderson carbon fiber rod to use to see if that helps ...the Anderson complete shaft weighs 2oz more than the stock complete shaft. The Anderson is super long, I am 6'4" and always use a tall man rod but the Anderson I use it on the 3rd notch with like 4 or 5 more notches to ad length. Grip is super comfy, on par with original Deus shaft grip. I do like that the remote sits in a better location than stock. Meaning it's flush mount instead of back towards your arm. And you can turn the mount to face you while detecting which is great. The arm cuff is aluminum and very heavy duty. Same with grip. But cover with a softer handle. We will see over next few weeks how it does on the beaches. Oh and zero flex . You can see in the pictures the where on the lower shaft you can just imagine what the inside of the coil ear looks like and I may go ahead and take a picture of that and post it as well. Let me know what you guys think thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-090725_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-090725_Photos.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_20220622-090721_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-090721_Photos.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot_20220622-090754_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-090754_Photos.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_20220622-090736_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-090736_Photos.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_20220622-090731_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-090731_Photos.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Here is another pic of the lower shaft and you can see there is still sand in them little ports this is after it was washed. I had to take a pick to get in there to remove the sand because it was stuck. So this is a real problem for Beach hunters just check out your equipment really good after the beach. And I'm sure the more experienced Beach hunters already know this and I've done it for years I just haven't done it regularly for years so. But it's impossible to keep sand out of there due to the fact there's no rubber washer so hopefully the Anderson shaft is the ticket we will see. I went ahead and took a picture of the coil the left side coil here has no wear at all where the rubber washer is . But you can see the side without the rubber washer it's just going to get worse with time. I can feel a groove so imagine hunting with it on a beach for about a year year and a half you will probably break off your coil ear and I doubt that would be covered under a warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-093912_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-093912_Photos.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_20220622-094638_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-094638_Photos.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 233
Yeah some of us true up the coil frequently on the ground to be sure the coil is flat in alignment with the ground. I do it about every 5 minutes. If you look across at another beach hunters coil and see the tip way up in the air it drives you nuts seeing it but you don't tend to say anything. I know the idea of the design is to keep from cracking the coil ears. Real thick washers compress and keep side tension on the ears. This info is for a newby as i am sure you know this info. My beaches have some real abrasive sand as i am sure yours does as well. I need to try an anderson rod myself. Thanks for posting!

Yeah I keep mine pretty tight also or at least try to you can see by the indentions on the inside hole of the coil where that little fitting to hold the coil true squeezes in there. It only takes the coil to move about 1/8 of an inch maybe a quarter of an inch to grind it back and forth. Hopefully this new shaft will help or use the simplex lower shaft on the Deus rod that also works

All I can figure is the sand gets in there and acts as a grinder while being used. I bought an Anderson carbon fiber rod to use to see if that helps ...the Anderson complete shaft weighs 2oz more than the stock complete shaft. The Anderson is super long, I am 6'4" and always use a tall man rod but the Anderson I use it on the 3rd notch with like 4 or 5 more notches to ad length.

This proper shaft thing Bill has been a huge problem, as I am the same height. I talked with Steve [Steve's Detector Rods] and he had a custom rod end made up where you use a rubber washer on both sides. He is making two shaft set-ups for me so I will be able to test it soon.
I opted not to go for the Anderson shaft because of the twist lock device and holes in the shaft to allow water and sand in. The twist locking device it very hard to keep operating in salt beach environments.
The only drawback is I need to custom mount the pod off my my own custom hand grip [which I make]
I am actually running today to get the metal piece I need and should have the proto type picture next week.

My question to you Bill is: I see in your pictures that you have the flip locking device? Is this new? Did you request this? I still see the twist locking device in all of their advertisements.
Thanks

All I can figure is the sand gets in there and acts as a grinder while being used. I bought an Anderson carbon fiber rod to use to see if that helps ...the Anderson complete shaft weighs 2oz more than the stock complete shaft. The Anderson is super long, I am 6'4" and always use a tall man rod but the Anderson I use it on the 3rd notch with like 4 or 5 more notches to ad length.

This proper shaft thing Bill has been a huge problem, as I am the same height. I talked with Steve [Steve's Detector Rods] and he had a custom rod end made up where you use a rubber washer on both sides. He is making two shaft set-ups for me so I will be able to test it soon.
I opted not to go for the Anderson shaft because of the twist lock device and holes in the shaft to allow water and sand in. The twist locking device it very hard to keep operating in salt beach environments.
The only drawback is I need to custom mount the pod off my my own custom hand grip [which I make]
I am actually running today to get the metal piece I need and should have the proto type picture next week.

My question to you Bill is: I see in your pictures that you have the flip locking device? Is this new? Did you request this? I still see the twist locking device in all of their advertisements.
Thanks
Well the cam lock I bought off of Steve because his shafts aren't available yet I know he's working on them and once they're ready I will buy one of his. But the lock that's on the Anderson is even worse than the twist lock LOL it doesn't even twist it's just a glued piece of plastic on the end of the upper shaft with a hole in the side and a little plastic bolt that threads into pinch the lower shaft once you get it set so that's all that is the rest of the shaft feels really well built even the part where you slide in your remote fitting I changed that a little bit cuz it also had a plastic threaded bolt and I just used a stainless screw and I don't think it'll ever go anywhere. But yeah you'll get sand and stuff in it but at least the whole shaft is open top to bottom except for the lower the lower is sealed at the bottom but you can just pull it apart and rinse it out inside and out which is what I do with a deus anyway.

I saw a video last night from Gigmaster where he had modified a Carbon Fiber Simplex lower shaft to work with the Deus. Not sure if it would wear any better than the OEM but might be worth a look. That straight shaft setup you have there looks pretty nice!

I saw a video last night from Gigmaster where he had modified a Carbon Fiber Simplex lower shaft to work with the Deus. Not sure if it would wear any better than the OEM but might be worth a look. That straight shaft setup you have there looks pretty nice!

A couple of details about that.

For a tall person this still would not work. You would have to buy the Deus rod extension plus the CF simplex lower rod.

With the Deus rod configuration it also has more water drag than an aftermarket CF rod.

Plus, with the CF Simplex rod you have a mounting problem to the Deus coil which I am not too sure how kosher this will turn out.

Things to consider.

A couple of details about that.

For a tall person this still would not work. You would have to buy the Deus rod extension plus the CF simplex lower rod.

With the Deus rod configuration it also has more water drag than an aftermarket CF rod.

Plus, with the CF Simplex rod you have a mounting problem to the Deus coil which I am not too sure how kosher this will turn out.

Things to consider.

Exactly this was my thought I've used the simplex lower on a Deus and it took a little bit to get it right but you still didn't feel confident enough with it to not wear something out like that. I guess if you wanted to do the simplex lower you could always buy that modification that's 3D printed that centers where the mounting lower rod is on the coil that way you could use the original hardware for the coil on the centering mount and then Mount the simplex lower to that by drilling it out and using a larger bolt I think the modifications would be easier and you wouldn't damage original XP coil or shaft.

Thanks

Here are some pics of the grip that is on the Anderson shaft it's really strong it's made out of really good aluminum with a grip slid down over it plus the top the way you mount your remote you can pivot it a little bit and each direction so you can actually pivot it towards you so you can see it easier which I like very much. Also here's what the lock mechanism looks like for the lower shaft

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-150236_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150236_Photos.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_20220623-150206_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150206_Photos.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_20220623-150304_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150304_Photos.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20220623-150252_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-150252_Photos.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 165
Here are some pics of the grip that is on the Anderson shaft it's really strong it's made out of really good aluminum with a grip slid down over it plus the top the way you mount your remote you can pivot it a little bit and each direction so you can actually pivot it towards you so you can see it easier which I like very much. Also here's what the lock mechanism looks like for the lower shaft

Yes, wish I could just buy the grip, though I would like a hand stop washer below the pod. That grip is where the added cost is for the Anderson shaft.

My Steve's set-up will be just as solid.

Yes, wish I could just buy the grip, though I would like a hand stop washer below the pod. That grip is where the added cost is for the Anderson shaft.

My Steve's set-up will be just as solid.

It actually has the hand stop kind of built into it if you look at the overhang. But it also unbolts and you can put a hand stop washer in there if you wanted to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-212611_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-212611_Samsung Internet.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom