• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Found Stone Chimney and '51 Nash in the Woods During Friday Hike (PIC HEAVY!)

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Wanted to get out hiking for fun before the wild Indiana vegitation got too thick so I headed to the nearby (Federal) Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore park in nearby Beverly Shores, Indiana. This area I was at was plotted with grid roads in the early 1930s for the newly-formed town of Beverly Shores. Some houses were built on these roads but, in this part anyway, not many were. In the 1970s the area was taken over by the new Federal park and most everything not in the core of the town (called "the Island") was razed. These roads traverse mostly wetlands and thorns and are very hard to hike.

I hiked these roads a bunch of times but never saw what I saw today: an old stone chimney, remnants of a small house, metal junk all over and nearby, the carcass of a 1951 "bathtub" Nash car. It is probable the house and car were abandoned around the late 60s to early 70s. The chimney looks to be of 1930s era vintage. I thought all of you would like to see what I found today. The first pic is one of the modern-day hiking trails that lead to the old grid roads.

Remember, this is Federal Land so no MDing or scavenging allowed, just seeing and enjoying. :yes:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 489
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 468
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 482
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 474
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 467
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 473
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 432
  • ha.jpg
    ha.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 462
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 450
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 451
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 466
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 437
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 465
Cool pictures. I'm in the camp that would probably find a few of those old Nash parts making their way home with me.

Thanks all for your comments.

That Nash is quite cashed. The grille is very pitted and about the only part on the car remotely worth saving.

The area is now totally surrounded by smelly snake-infested messy muddy swamp. It was VERY hard to get to, which is probably why NPS is just letting the area be. They are making the whole area into wetlands. I don't know if I'll ever return there or not.

Back
Top Bottom