Civil War Relic Digs

Waterhead

Went and did a little digging today here in Southeast Virginia for Civil War relics. What a great day, sun was shining and after digging awhile, you didn't even know old man winter was here. I was actually sweating in the mid-weight jacket I was wearing.

The .56 caliber Spencer Carbine Cartridge actually came off the shore, near a freshwater river, where the Yanks met some of CSA General Longstreet's finest. I walked the begeebies out of the area and this was all I could find. This place has been hit really hard but I always seem to find something Civil War. The Spencer Carbine was used by the US Calvary or Dismounted Calvary. These cartridges are getting harder to find.

After a short lunch break, I hit an old Confederate camp that I've been working over the last several years. In a small area, I dug the internal gear plate and the back off a soldier's pocket watch. About 25 feet away, I dug the small j-hook. I believe that it was used to hang the chain.

Also included in my finds are five (5) .69 caliber round balls, a Richmond Mfg. .44 caliber pistol bullet for the Colt Army Revolver and three (3) .58 caliber CS Minie Balls. Two of the Minies are what we call the CS Nip-Nose bullets. This is was because they were nose cast and subsequent to being taken from the molds after manufacturing, the lead sprue had to be clipped from the nose. The third bullet is a CS Plug Base Minie. Last but not least is a plain low-dome button and holding honorable mention is really pretty brass rowell from a CS Spur.

I shot some nice digital photos of the finds but for the 1st time, when I try to load the pictures, it fails upload. So I had to shoot a pic with he old cell phone.

Hope you enjoy.

John
"Waterhead"

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 786
Use windows picture manager (Office 2003 and up) to 'compress' your digital photos or select a lower resolution setting on your camera. Sweet CW relics btw. That's an awesome hunt! I love finding old lead.

Great finds! Im jealous of you guys in Virginia... In Georgia, there are great finds to be found but not nearly the amount as in Virginia. Congrats!

Yep!

Heaveymetalnut,

Yep, it is the rowell to a spur. It's unusual because almost every CS & US manufactured spur was made with an iron rowell. That's why when you dig a spur, 75% of the time, the rowells are rusted away.

On a rare occassion, someone will dig a CS spur with a brass or copper rowell. I think every one dug is actually a field repair made from a coin or something similar. I have a spur that I bought from a friend and the rowell is made from a large cent.

The one I dug today appears to be hand-crafted. I have one that's almost exactly like it and I swear I forgot where I dug it?????????

Wow Waterhead,

Im from Lynchburg, I also went hunting at a place i did some research on and came up with nothing there:( I did find 21 modern pennies though:lol: I need to hook up with you! Great finds!

Neat relics.. what is the object that looks like a key? RickO

That looks like a coat/cloak/great coat hook to me. These were used up around the collar on some of the heavier winter garments. I have also seen some early fraternal frock coats that had a similar hook sewn to the seam on the right side of the jacket to help hold up the sword belt. Who knows really, but cool none the less! Great finds. I love digging CW relics!

Back
Top Bottom