A Few Civil War Relics

Waterhead

Hey Peeps!

I've had a lot going on over the last year so I was not able to get much digging in. Well this morning I took off from work and was determined to relic hunt a small CSA camp in Southampton Co., VA.

Heavymetalnut had me all worked up after he found that CT. CW button. I just had to go relic hunt, no excuses.

Anyhow, my digital camera's battery is dead so I had to shoot this low quality photo of my finds with a cell phone; sorry about the picture.

Included in the photo are two cannon ball fragments, a railroad spike which was used to build the huts (small residential camp quarters), an old square camp nail (not sure why I kept it), an iron buckle, a cannon friction primer, a fired .58 caliber Enfield, a fired .58 caliber 3-ring bullet and three dropped .69 caliber round balls.

I recon the temperature was about 45 degrees today and I still pulled a tick off my pants.

It doesn't look like much in the way of finds but I'm thankful for every civil war or colonial relic I dig. I'm not dogging you coin or jewelry hunters but the fact of the matter is folks loose that stuff every day. Civil War and colonial relics are dwindling away and are never replaced.

Thanks for looking and good luck everyone.

Attachments

• digs.jpg
    digs.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 781
Im with ya on that..I just need some place near Gettysburg or South Mountain to hunt. Not easy up here to find places that have not already been picked over or claims staked by friends or relations on private land near battlefields or camps.

You're right on that........

They are not being replaced, and their getting more rare every year. I enjoy every one I dig.
John

Great relics. Most of the stuff we find up my way are finds from mustering camps and drills. no action up this way. However, living on lake erie, i'm only about 20 miles from where the niagara and lawrence were built. has to be some great stuff up there.

Im with ya on that..I just need some place near Gettysburg or South Mountain to hunt. Not easy up here to find places that have not already been picked over or claims staked by friends or relations on private land near battlefields or camps.

Some years back I was hunting KOA campground near Gettysburg, battlefield security guard saw me , thought he was gonna arrest me...didn't know areas in outskirts were protected???...Curt:grin:

Back
Top Bottom