Ringing in the new year! Ct civil war button

sorry to hear about your stuffy head.loverboy is as good as ball n chained now :lol: offer to buy his DFX :lol:
another good man bites the dust!
Frank i'm kidding if you read this.

Thanks Dave the stuffy head I can take but my chest feels like it got hit by a Train. Went to the Walk in Ctr yesterday took 3.5 hrs to get out of there. When I left the line was out the door!

New job starts on Wed so at some point we'll all meet up again.

HH!!

Those are some mighty nice finds and under some pretty challenging conditions. Glad to see you made it out there, Dave! I've been pretty much sidelined by a sinus infection, as well these last few weeks (I know the feeling, Roger :(). Otherwise I'd be trying my luck too.

Dave, Back to Ya

Dave,

The Ammonia will surely take the green corrosion off the button and that's the main reason I use it. Like I said, just be careful and brush it gently. These Connecticut buttons were gold guilted and very often the green corrosion covers the gold guilt. I've dug many a green covered button that after a good soaking in Ammonia, it came out with 95% gold guilt.

I don't suggest using Ammonia on anything but brass and copper.

If you do use this process, clean the outside of the button first; then clean out the dirt from the inside. Just be super careful because when 2-piece or 3-piece (Staff Buttons) get broken, they end up with dirt inside them. If dirt can get in then so can water. Water and Winter is the killer of military buttons. If the button is excavated within the freeze line of the soil, then the moisture freezes and expands in the button causing cracking and further deterioration.

Although I can only see a picture, I believe that the button would benefit from some additional TLC.

I've been really tied up at work this year and have not relic hunted. Now that deer season ended last weekend, I don't have to worry about getting shot. So, i'm getting ready to make my mark and find some civil war relics.

After seeing your button, I just became energized with the "force." Mighty powerful old boy, but don't have to explain that to you now do I?

Warmly,

John

Dave,

The Ammonia will surely take the green corrosion off the button and that's the main reason I use it. Like I said, just be careful and brush it gently. These Connecticut buttons were gold guilted and very often the green corrosion covers the gold guilt. I've dug many a green covered button that after a good soaking in Ammonia, it came out with 95% gold guilt.

I don't suggest using Ammonia on anything but brass and copper.

If you do use this process, clean the outside of the button first; then clean out the dirt from the inside. Just be super careful because when 2-piece or 3-piece (Staff Buttons) get broken, they end up with dirt inside them. If dirt can get in then so can water. Water and Winter is the killer of military buttons. If the button is excavated within the freeze line of the soil, then the moisture freezes and expands in the button causing cracking and further deterioration.

Although I can only see a picture, I believe that the button would benefit from some additional TLC.

I've been really tied up at work this year and have not relic hunted. Now that deer season ended last weekend, I don't have to worry about getting shot. So, i'm getting ready to make my mark and find some civil war relics.

After seeing your button, I just became energized with the "force." Mighty powerful old boy, but don't have to explain that to you now do I?

Warmly,

John
John,
thanks so much for the tips.i will try it within the next few days and snap a pic or 2. wishing you much sucess in your upcoming hunts!
Dave

Another great hunt Dave............amazing!! ;) I want you to think about doing a waterhunt with us soon.....would like to have 5-6 guys there so I can video it! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom