• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

caches! Do they exist?

The fur traders buried their goods all the time. I even heard of some guys building a camp fire over their stash back in the day. Then a guy drowns in the rapids, becomes a pile of bear dung, etc.

They exist. An old dairy-man told of the silver coins he seperated out and hid while he was on his death bed. The family then found it. 20 years worth of silver coins from his milk deliveries in gallon jugs in a stone wall.

You're right on. I've seen one myself in the cellar of a house from the 1800s. The stash would be safe from fire in between stones in the walls but close at hand and detection.

Of course they exist. In the 1940's dad had a trash route, a milk route and several cows, chickens and pigs. He also owned 7 acres of prime Missouri land with, he said a lead mine, my brother said a gold mine. Dad liked the ladies and his beer, mom didn't! So, dad had Mason jars hidden around the property with enough money in them for a good night out on the town. When we left Missouri in 1951 dad went looking for all his caches but, when mom wised up, he stopped looking and we left for California. Today, his caches in silver dollars is probably still buried somewhere on that property in Joplin, Missouri....under a shopping mall or parking lot:crying:

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

They exist, most of the large ones are myths, legends, or wishful thinking but many do exist. A lot of people did not trust banks and buried their money, other's may be linked to outlaws who were killed before they could dig it up. Captain Kidd buried some money to secure his release, however the bribe did not work and he was killed, many legends exist about the treasure but the truth is that it was found not long after his death by the Governor. In England they are always finding Roman and Middle Age caches. In the states they seem more rare (however we have a much shorter history of coinage and cash) but just recently the cache of gold coins was found. One case I know of is the Newton gang, the last surviving brother admitted on TV that they got drunk and buried a suit case of cash and forgot where they had buried it the next day, so chances are it still exist along some highway in Texas. So they do exist but you should be skeptical of most stories.

They exist, most of the large ones are myths, legends, or wishful thinking but many do exist. A lot of people did not trust banks and buried their money,.......

I'd imagine the most common cache in the USA could be from the people that didn't trust the banks and from the people just planting money for fun.

Looking back, did any of you ever bury money as a kid just for fun?

I'd imagine the most common cache in the USA could be from the people that didn't trust the banks and from the people just planting money for fun.

Looking back, did any of you ever bury money as a kid just for fun?

I know I did. Those treasure legends and magazines I read as a kid initially provoked my interest in the hobby.

I still dig the overload and iron signals in places with relative history. If you want to find it, you must start by digging and not cherry picking.

Last edited:
What constitutes a cashe, quantity, rarity of the hoard, does a cashe have to be coins, gold or silver or gems.

This is my take on cashes....
Buried in the ground....

I'll limit my area to the New England and East Coast seeings it was the first to be populated.
EVERY town has cashes buried, colonial, post colonial, late 1830s depression caused a lot of cashes to be buried. Lets not forget the Civil War and depression of the 20s era and any time though out our history that someone decided to bury their stash. In the late 1700s and early 1800s when it was common to bury your stash because of the lack of banks, in the ground it went. Interestingly, the late 1700s and early 1800s the black plague and other diseases swept through the US. and the world. Every family was effected, children, adults, no discrimination. It wasn't uncommon for a family to loose both parents to the plague and there goes the secret to the location of SOME cashes, not all.

I guess a cashe could be anything from a handful of coins to the great hoard of the Harmony Society found in PA. to the recent gold cashe that was found in the Calf. gold mining district.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it :yes: and I believe that I'm pretty accurate on my assessment.

I haven't found a cahes myself but I don't count it out...
I live in the area that was Vermont's first settled area, southeastern Vt. along the Conn. River I live about 6 miles from the river and 50 yards out my front door is the site of the second sawmill to be established in Vt. "1761"

I live in an area that could easily produce a cashe and I'll be damned if I ever broadcast that I found one.:cool:

Caches Do they really exist

My first cousin bought an old farmhouse near Lancaster Pa. When they were moving in they found 3 old crocks with animal fat in them. There were signs of mice eathing the fat, so his wife told him to dump the crocks on their burn pile out back. When he dumped the crocks they were full of mostly silver with a few gold coins from around 1900.

Back
Top Bottom