Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AceGVSU11 View post
I wish it had the same effect on my teeth!
Try soaking them in olive oil?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

A soft toothbrush and toothpaste is one of the best jewelry cleaners there is.

I've used it on gold rings and watches for years. It works great!

beephead

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by beephead View post
A soft toothbrush and toothpaste is one of the best jewelry cleaners there is.

I've used it on gold rings and watches for years. It works great!

beephead

Good idea...I sort of remember that as a possibility...

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Try Barkeeper's Friend. It is $2 at Home Depot. Works perfectly on melt-value silver and common copper.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Skwerly View post
Probably no more than fifty years in the ground did.
Very true! haha

Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Acetone would have safely removed the glue residue along with any other organic matter. Acetone is non-reactive to silver. It would not have "polished" the coin.

I don't shine mine. I used to until I found that reduced to value to basically melt. Some may say that it's just a 1923 Peace dollar and only worth melt in that condition. A few years ago I would have heartily agreed. But there are varieties of the 1923 that collectors pay around $800 for XF. Fortunately this is not that variety, but there are many that base value on the date and mintmark alone. This could prove to be a costly assumption. I acquired an XF 1878 Morgan dollar a few years back and paid the XF price (around $40). It turned out to be one of the rarest die varieties and was worth $4000 in XF. I collect these varieties and so many have had their value cut drastically by a previous owner with an urge to see a shine.

Maverick you're free to do whatever you want with your coins ... they're yours to do with as you please. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention this. Knowledge is $$$$.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SilverShooter View post
Acetone would have safely removed the glue residue along with any other organic matter. Acetone is non-reactive to silver. It would not have "polished" the coin.

I don't shine mine. I used to until I found that reduced to value to basically melt. Some may say that it's just a 1923 Peace dollar and only worth melt in that condition. A few years ago I would have heartily agreed. But there are varieties of the 1923 that collectors pay around $800 for XF. Fortunately this is not that variety, but there are many that base value on the date and mintmark alone. This could prove to be a costly assumption. I acquired an XF 1878 Morgan dollar a few years back and paid the XF price (around $40). It turned out to be one of the rarest die varieties and was worth $4000 in XF. I collect these varieties and so many have had their value cut drastically by a previous owner with an urge to see a shine.

Maverick you're free to do whatever you want with your coins ... they're yours to do with as you please. But I would be remiss if I didn't mention this. Knowledge is $$$$.
Good info... thanks.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 AM

Arm and Hammer toothpaste works great for cleaning Silver.