What's this plastic thingee?

peter-nyc

I have seen lots of these on the beaches of New York as long as I can remember, does anyone know where they come from and what they're used for? Its about 1 inch wide and 3/8inch tall, seems to be the same plastic as drinking straws maybe a little stronger.

Attachments

• plastic-thingee.jpg
    plastic-thingee.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 402
I think these were found also along the coast in massachusetts and were from water treatment plants as part of the process to clean 'unsanitary water', it looks like one of those...there were millions of them washed up along the mass coastline

I think these were found also along the coast in massachusetts and were from water treatment plants as part of the process to clean 'unsanitary water', it looks like one of those...there were millions of them washed up along the mass coastline

Not released deliberately I hope ? They wouldn't do much good to any marine species they got inside.

I looked up those things that spilled in Mass and they are somewhat similar but not the same. I figure it has to be come kind of spacer for packaging, but I really don't know what. They sure seem a lot fancier than foam peanuts too- Nothing I've ever seen to do with fishing gear, and I have a lot of experience with fireworks and not only are they not familiar, but none are blackened or burnt looking. I could pick up over 100 in an hours time, and I've seen them here and there for as long as I can remember. One day I'll find out...

I looked up those things that spilled in Mass and they are somewhat similar but not the same. I figure it has to be come kind of spacer for packaging, but I really don't know what. They sure seem a lot fancier than foam peanuts too- Nothing I've ever seen to do with fishing gear, and I have a lot of experience with fireworks and not only are they not familiar, but none are blackened or burnt looking. I could pick up over 100 in an hours time, and I've seen them here and there for as long as I can remember. One day I'll find out...

The ones in mass could be a difference supplier, the excuse i believe in mass was flooding and taken them out of the treatment plants and they were round i think but full of the small sections like these

I think it's a cross between a Reese's peanut butter cup and a piece of Honeycomb cereal, that's my guess and I'm sticking to it!

It looks to me like the bottom of a "push pop" with the stick pulled out, you know the kind the ice cream guy sells at the beach.

Back
Top Bottom