• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Disc is not my friend

Semtav

Elite Member
I spent a full year with a racer 2 and F75 with excellent disc capabilities Hunting old homesteads.
Man were they sweet. No more trash to listen to, no nails no rusty tin, no digging bottle caps and other stupid junk. Just listen for the sweet tones and dig those coins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, did I mention I didn't find a single coin last year !!!!

So today I went to the three tone that didn't have all my perfect disc settings and 2 second later found a barber dime, then a barber quarter, then ..............
see this thread: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=298250

So tonight after it cooled off, I went back out and tried it again.

I'm done with disc. I like the sound of ten thousand nails and a little peep occasionly !!!

A Golden Deer Tie Tac
A 1916 Miles City Trinket
A 1920 Modern Health Crusader Token
A 1911 Wheat Penny and
2 Indian head pennies.

They are as hard to see in person as they are in the picture as were the others. So I can't read the dates yet

The bad news is I wasted a year hunting.
the good news, is I know where there are about 20 homesteads that have never been hunted (properly)

Attachments

• More trinkets 8-3-22.jpg
    More trinkets 8-3-22.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 454
Start pushing buttons and you defeat the strong points the machine. Good call and good luck!

Steve

Start pushing buttons and you defeat the strong points the machine. Good call and good luck!

Steve

You know its been a long time between coins when you forgot you used to use a loupe to see some of the dates, and it takes half the night to find one when you have a dozen laying around somewhere.

tried a little shadow photography
I literally cant see these with the naked eye and even a loupe is hard to see anything.

Never had coins this hard to see. They usually come out of the ground here dusty with distinct lettering like the Miles City bauble !!

1897 and 1883

Attachments

• shadow photograpy.jpg
    shadow photograpy.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 406
Racer 2

I often miss my old Racer 2.

Using that little OOR coil, in 3 tone, sensitivity 89 or >, and no discrimination turn it into a laser at a trashy site.

I often miss my old Racer 2.....

I never personally used the Racer II, but a buddy of mine had one of those. And of all the machines he tried (he tends to test any new mousetrap) : That Racer II was the one that most-caught my attention. It was a good relic machine. I dunno why he's now using the Nox, because, IMHO, that Racer II was kick-#ss. Oh well.

When I’m on a old site I want to hear the nails and other stuff. I use a f75 disc 0, pf, sen 80
I start with a thunder coil. If I find a lot of nails with it I’ll change to my stock coils. If I still think there could be good stuff there I’ll try my small coil.

Good luck keep use updated.

I'm headed home tomorrow. Gonna get in a short hunt at the fairgrounds with the neighbor. I'll try those settings there. I leave the 75 at home and the racer at work. 100+ miles apart.

Thanks for the input all !!

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Sensitive full tones on the dues 2 if you really want to hear a great jam session.

Strick

Sweet finds. Congrats. I like the Miles City tag. I prefer no disc, I want to hear everything my machine does and decide for myself. I probably dig more trash than most but I also do pretty well in the finds dept. IMO.:lol: Good luck. Mark

FYI, that is an Elk fraternity pin. Check with a good magnifier, it should have tiny ruby eyes…and could be 14Kt. !! Good hunt!

That was pretty cool to pick up on. I saw one of those like that at a flea market one time. I thought it was part of a necklace. It was in a booth that had some old Masonic stuff and things like that. Wow.....

Back
Top Bottom