Colonial haul..again..Capped bust half dime!, copper, sword parts! *late ID, updated thread

Definitely some cool finds you never know what century yours could be till it’s out of the plug!

Well done on the finds.

Similar sword hand guard here:

here:https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/275933

I would say that's more than similar, that's spot on. It says it's been awaiting validation for 15 years. Any idea how long it takes them to move through items on there?

* If you find anything else let me know. The area was flooded with immigration in the 1600s and I've previously found items from then up to now. To include other colonial British military stuff.

I would say that's more than similar, that's spot on. It says it's been awaiting validation for 15 years. Any idea how long it takes them to move through items on there?

* If you find anything else let me know. The area was flooded with immigration in the 1600s and I've previously found items from then up to now. To include other colonial British military stuff.

Apologise for not replying straight away, the reason being was I had a meeting this morning with our local FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) on an unrelated matter.

I asked why the phrase 'awaiting validation' was present on reports on the data-base.

Seems that there are 4 levels for ID'ing items and they were over ambitious when they set up the data-base.

They assumed that there was enough staff to double check the data-base and ID's

To date, over 1.5 million items have been recorded, from prehistoric-worked flint to post-medieval dress accessories.

There are quite a number on the data-base which are level 3, level 4 is for the FLO's and museums staff viewing only.

Thanks to you I have learnt something myself.

More examples here:

https://finds.org.uk/database/search/results/q/sword+quillions/thumbnail/1

Apologise for not replying straight away, the reason being was I had a meeting this morning with our local FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) on an unrelated matter.

I asked why the phrase 'awaiting validation' was present on reports on the data-base.

Seems that there are 4 levels for ID'ing items and they were over ambitious when they set up the data-base.

They assumed that there was enough staff to double check the data-base and ID's

To date, over 1.5 million items have been recorded, from prehistoric-worked flint to post-medieval dress accessories.

There are quite a number on the data-base which are level 3, level 4 is for the FLO's and museums staff viewing only.

Thanks to you I have learnt something myself.

More examples here:

https://finds.org.uk/database/search/results/q/sword+quillions/thumbnail/1

awesome information and much appreciated. the big upside I see is that at least it is not a one off design like many other swords and their pieces, so hopefully it leads to a solid designer or date. i really appreciate it!

*****Updates for a later ID

First off thanks to one of our Brit members "Doug" for helping me with this. His link to an exact matching sword guard found in the UK helped me eventually track down another full sword that was sold with the same matching guard. The style is a "Small Sword Style English Infantry Hanger". It would have been circa 1720-1750 which matches a lot of the major movements on the property. These swords were purchased by British regimental colonels, paid for from "off reckonings" (money withheld from soldiers pay) in the first half of the 18th century. *source

180516b_1d.jpg

The site has been good to us and unfortunately I am missing my buddy as he's pulling cobs there this week. But I will return and eventually update!

Back
Top Bottom