• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dime trifecta along with a Barber spill!

Schweddy

Elite Member
Happy spring, everyone! I had a beauty of a nice little hunt today and thought I'd share. I recently received permission to hunt an old farmstead in a nearby town. I made the call this morning to make it official. The owner could not have been more welcoming.
The site was on an 1865 map, so hopes were high, but as usual - tempered. As is almost always the case, I found that much of the yard had been filled over the years. BUT I found a sweet spot around a very large and old maple tree. 150 years if it was a day.
The best dig was a pocket spill that contained the 1894s Barber quarter, 1901o Barber dime and the 1899 V nickel. First of all, I haven't found a Barber quarter in over 2 years. Secondly, this spill was almost certainly lost before 1920, which makes it my oldest by far.
Thanks for viewing and good luck everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 401
Wow! Congrats on the spill and other finds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh. And please let my repeated mistakes be a lesson to all. The patina on very old nickels and pennies(LC's and 2 centers too) is a fickle mistress. It is nearly always best to just leave it alone. Compare this pic with the previous one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 336
Congratulations on the fantastic hunt. That's a lot of old and newer silver. Obviously it turned out to be a great site. As for the condition of the non silver, most of us have been there. They start out rough and go down hill from there. But the silver sure makes up for it.:yes:

Oh. And please let my repeated mistakes be a lesson to all. The patina on very old nickels and pennies(LC's and 2 centers too) is a fickle mistress. It is nearly always best to just leave it alone. Compare this pic with the previous one.

Did you use vinegar? Congratulations on the finds!

Wtg

What a great hunt. That must of been a lot of fun digging up those goodies. You don't find Barber spills very often, that's for sure. Congratulations of a find day.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom