Thank you Tom in CA👍

metaladdict

Elite Member
Found this token at the little beach in SF, also Felix pennies and a spoon and one 1935 Wheatie.
A pretty empty place really.😁
It says good for one drink on other side. Any info would be cool?

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_180735335.jpg
    IMG_20200919_180735335.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
That says "R. H. Reeder" right ? If so, I don't see anything about that token in any of the guides. And without a city, it would be a "maverick" . A lot of mavericks have been identified with cities and date-ranges. But I'm not seeing that one come up anywhere.

Did you get pix of the beach ? If so, post them (or email or text them to me), and I can tell you if the sand was "up" or "down". If you only got a single wheatie, then odds are, the sand was "up". I've been there before and gotten a dozen wheaties, random buffalos, 3 to 5-ish silver, etc... at a pop. Then other times, the sand is up, and it's just a few felix pennies. It's a gamble on timing.

That says "R. H. Reeder" right ? If so, I don't see anything about that token in any of the guides. And without a city, it would be a "maverick" . A lot of mavericks have been identified with cities and date-ranges. But I'm not seeing that one come up anywhere.

Did you get pix of the beach ? If so, post them (or email or text them to me), and I can tell you if the sand was "up" or "down". If you only got a single wheatie, then odds are, the sand was "up". I've been there before and gotten a dozen wheaties, random buffalos, 3 to 5-ish silver, etc... at a pop. Then other times, the sand is up, and it's just a few felix pennies. It's a gamble on timing.
My phone s camera is iffy, the sand is definitely up.I was digging down a foot and it was sand at the stairs and walls.

nice find - quick check of 1900 census shows Richard H. Reeder, hotelkeeper, born in 1860, located in sixth township, Tuolumne County. Possible?

Maverick? Does this mean valuable Tom???

Maverick? Does this mean valuable Tom???

In token collecting jargon, "maverick" means it doesn't have a city-of-origin. For the place-of-business. Most tokens will say a city name, for the saloon or store or bar or whatever. But if it only has the propietor's name (but no city name), then it's called a "maverick".

Many mavericks have been attributed (and so-too, proprietor, date-range, etc...). So THEN their value is ascertained by the collector community.

About the only way a new maverick can have value, is if you did the research, and pinned it of-a-certainty on a certain small burg , of which this is the only token known-from-that-city/burg. Then it becomes a One-token-town type of thing.

If I'm wrong about this token-value thing, then someone chime in and let us all know. I'm just quoting , as I've heard it, from long-time buyer/sellers of this fraternity.

Back
Top Bottom