Detector testers.

ghound

Elite Member
It's really refreshing to see XP put it's new D2 into the hands of testers with no NDA's.
It shows they have real confidence in their product and for the end user it cuts through all the advertising bs and manufactured hype and straight to the only thing that really matters before you spend your hard earned cash, it's performance!
There's good and bad testers, some do it for subscribers, some for status, some are genuine etc i remember years back a tester telling me he refused a certain manufacturer's test model as he was asked to give the detector a "glowing report" he was a straight shooter for sure.
Hopefully more manufacturers will follow XP's lead and do away with NDA's in the future!

I still take it all with a grain of salt. Also finding the Legend testers to be acting odd. But that could be me. So far it looks like XP is trying to be straight with us. Probably because they have something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told by one of the testers it was only a partial NDA lift.

I still take it all with a grain of salt. Also finding the Legend testers to be acting odd. But that could be me. So far it looks like XP is trying to be straight with us. Probably because they have something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't see why Minelab never allows any testing info out on their upcoming products. Not even partially.

Not only that, they also never communicate with their client base on what should be included in their products.

I like the multiIQ tech of my Equinox, but the build quality is not good and their interaction with their customers is sub par.

Hopefully they improve but they haven't shown any signs of changing.

It's really refreshing to see XP put it's new D2 into the hands of testers with no NDA's.
It shows they have real confidence in their product and for the end user it cuts through all the advertising bs and manufactured hype and straight to the only thing that really matters before you spend your hard earned cash, it's performance!
There's good and bad testers, some do it for subscribers, some for status, some are genuine etc i remember years back a tester telling me he refused a certain manufacturer's test model as he was asked to give the detector a "glowing report" he was a straight shooter for sure.
Hopefully more manufacturers will follow XP's lead and do away with NDA's in the future!

How do you know the testers had no NDAs? Just because we're hearing more about the Deus II early on doesn't mean there weren't any NDAs.

I have worked with or for manufacturers since 1974. They have all used slightly different approaches for their 'testing' or 'product evaluation' process. Naturally, a lot of that was prior to Internet Forums or YouTube videos.

Often, a 'tester' is provided with a 'prototype or 'pre-production' device and is asked to not disclose things publicly until they are given the OK because the manufacture wants to make sure adjustments, additions or deletions in the circuitry are made to arrive at a finished product. Again, this mainly applies to 'modern times' and the use of digital circuitry designs.

Some Testers seem to be more excited about getting a free product, plus their testing might be limited to just the type of detecting they do. For example, if a 'tester' only works city parks and schools and also beach hunts, their product comments do little to help an avid Relic Hunter who devotes the bulk of their detecting time dealing with a lot of ferrous debris with densely associated nails or small shards of rusty tin.

I have also seen/read comments that kind of go overboard a tell YOU that you absolutely must have a particular product because it is "the best" and nothing can match the performance.

Well, there is no 'perfect detector, but there are some that have the features and performance #ome individuals prefer. Those folks testing or evaluating a new product should probably state THEIR own opinion, such as: "This is the best detector I have used for MY hunting sites and works best for ME".

Also, they should do some serious evaluations and report back to the manufacturer positive and negative things they notice or correction suggestions.

In the end all I want is to have a new product in my hand that was well thought out, well evaluated, and well designed so that I get the performance I want and need in a well balanced device.

Monte

I still don't see why Minelab never allows any testing info out on their upcoming products. Not even partially.

Not only that, they also never communicate with their client base on what should be included in their products.

I like the multiIQ tech of my Equinox, but the build quality is not good and their interaction with their customers is sub par.

Hopefully they improve but they haven't shown any signs of changing.

That's not quite correct. On another forum a poll was done, and on another suggestions were ask for. These supposedly were being ask for by Minelab. They were about what people would like to see in the next Minelab flagship detector.

I don't know of any ML representative that's active on the main forum's, but NASA Tom did say they do monitor the feedback folks leave online, and sure Tom himself works with ML so he will defo be digesting all the info.

That's not quite correct. On another forum a poll was done, and on another suggestions were ask for. These supposedly were being ask for by Minelab. They were about what people would like to see in the next Minelab flagship detector.

At the moment I'm not seeing any weakness in the D2 (maybe price) and the testers are giving it a good shake down, maybe this will ge the closest yet to the "best in every class" detector"

I have worked with or for manufacturers since 1974. They have all used slightly different approaches for their 'testing' or 'product evaluation' process. Naturally, a lot of that was prior to Internet Forums or YouTube videos.

Often, a 'tester' is provided with a 'prototype or 'pre-production' device and is asked to not disclose things publicly until they are given the OK because the manufacture wants to make sure adjustments, additions or deletions in the circuitry are made to arrive at a finished product. Again, this mainly applies to 'modern times' and the use of digital circuitry designs.

Some Testers seem to be more excited about getting a free product, plus their testing might be limited to just the type of detecting they do. For example, if a 'tester' only works city parks and schools and also beach hunts, their product comments do little to help an avid Relic Hunter who devotes the bulk of their detecting time dealing with a lot of ferrous debris with densely associated nails or small shards of rusty tin.

I have also seen/read comments that kind of go overboard a tell YOU that you absolutely must have a particular product because it is "the best" and nothing can match the performance.

Well, there is no 'perfect detector, but there are some that have the features and performance #ome individuals prefer. Those folks testing or evaluating a new product should probably state THEIR own opinion, such as: "This is the best detector I have used for MY hunting sites and works best for ME".

Also, they should do some serious evaluations and report back to the manufacturer positive and negative things they notice or correction suggestions.

In the end all I want is to have a new product in my hand that was well thought out, well evaluated, and well designed so that I get the performance I want and need in a well balanced device.

Monte

I believe Calabash said there was no NDA's or restrictions from XP on his D2

Assuming that's true, that doesn't prove anything about NDAs.

Do you know if Calabash with the first non-XP employee to test the Deus II? I imagine he wasn't, although I admit I have no idea. But assuming he was the first outside person to review the Deus II and wasn't subject to an NDA, that doesn't prove anything either.

For example, perhaps XP requires 5,000 hours of testing a new product with internal testors (XP employees who are very likely subject to NDAs) before they send out the product to an outside tester who isn't subject to an NDA.

But N/M might have a different way of developing products where they only require 1,000 hours of testing by N/M employees before it goes to outside testers. But because N/M relies on outside testers so soon in the development process, they require these outside testers to sign an NDA.

This is all speculation, but so is the conclusion that an outside tester signing or not signing an NDA is an indictment on a metal detecting company and/or their new product.

There's testers all over the Tube with D2's, all running different types of tests etc

Do you know if Calabash with the first non-XP employee to test the Deus II? I imagine he wasn't, although I admit I have no idea. But assuming he was the first outside person to review the Deus II and wasn't subject to an NDA, that doesn't prove anything either.

For example, perhaps XP requires 5,000 hours of testing a new product with internal testors (XP employees who are very likely subject to NDAs) before they send out the product to an outside tester who isn't subject to an NDA.

But N/M might have a different way of developing products where they only require 1,000 hours of testing by N/M employees before it goes to outside testers. But because N/M relies on outside testers so soon in the development process, they require these outside testers to sign an NDA.

This is all speculation, but so is the conclusion that an outside tester signing or not signing an NDA is an indictment on a metal detecting company and/or their new product.

Guys, I couldn't for the life of me imagine a multi million dollar company putting hundreds of thousands of dollars into upgrading a machine, and then releasing it to anyone who's on YouTube without first having they're own people run it and making sure it is what it is . Whatever that deus 2 is they were aware of before calabash or any outsiders got they're hands on it. It was more than likely already tested and ready to hit the market as is..XP knows calabash makes tons of videos,and they sent him the XP deus 2 as a teaser for everyone who sees his videos.. Good marketing on XP part imo,but it had nothing to do with anything else imo

Last edited:

It is true. I'm pretty sure he declined to test another manufacturer due to NDA. XP said test away, anyway you like. And it's working. I'm seeing quite a few people that have cancelled the legend order to order the deus 2.

It is true. I'm pretty sure he declined to test another manufacturer due to NDA. XP said test away, anyway you like. And it's working. I'm seeing quite a few people that have cancelled the legend order to order the deus 2.

From what I see in Calabashs videos that's not a prototype,it's the end result.. That's the reason I think no NDA was required,they had no plans on changing anything

The Deus could be changed by an update online. I guess this would be the same for the Legend as supposedly it was finished and boxed up, I'd doubt they would reopen the boxes and update them before shipping over of a testers suggestion?

From what I see in Calabashs videos that's not a prototype,it's the end result.. That's the reason I think no NDA was required,they had no plans on changing anything

That is why I wait until it gets in the hands of users. I've noticed "tester's" tend to never have anything bad to say about any detector. That alone tells me we get a watered-down bias opinion. And why not, they wouldn't get to be tester's if they were brutally honest. I mean have you ever seen a tester give a bad opinion of any new detector? They always find nothing but good to say even if it is just to say I just love the color.

That is why I'd never make a good tester because I'd tell it as I see it. Good and bad. If the detector was !!!!. I'd say it was !!!!.

I do like the apparent trust they have in their detector to put it in the hands of people willing to be honest. It does say they believe in their product.

I suppose your right about a software change, but it's my understanding the deus 2 was already being shipped out,,so it's massed produced already too,,and on it's way to distributors.. I've seen prototypes from different companies and that deus 2 imo is a end result machine

That's what i mean, the Legend is supposed to be boxed and ready to go also.

I suppose your right about a software change, but it's my understanding the deus 2 was already being shipped out,,so it's massed produced already too,,and on it's way to distributors.. I've seen prototypes from different companies and that deus 2 imo is a end result machine

Back
Top Bottom