Be careful what you post. You might end up on TV!!

Chipk

Elite Member
Last week I was allowed to hunt the grounds of a private school. The primary purpose was to clean the grounds because razor blades and other sharp objects were found there. So far, I've been there two days and plan on doing a third.

During the hunts I found a few goodies including a brass doorknob, teacher's bell and an old lock. I also found a beautiful makeup compact lid from 1910 and an aluminum toy truck from the 30s.

I am on a neighborhood web site and I posted pictures of these finds there. Didn't think anything of it.

Last night I received a message from a friend advising me that I had been on the 6:00pm news. Puzzled I called her and she described the pictures they showed and they were pictures of these items I had posted. I went on the station's website and a short blurb with my pictures and my name flashed.

I was appalled!!

Nobody contacted me. I didn't give permission. I didn't even know about it. As stated in FULL METAL JACKET, I didn't even get a reach around.

It was shown again on the late night news.

This morning I called the station and spoke with the news desk. They said if it's on social networks, it's fair game and they can publish it. I feel violated.

Now understand, part of me feels honored. But mostly I'm not only upset they didn't contact me but it was also a crappy story. No real story, just basically " This guy found this!"

I told them I could have given them much better stories if they had checked with me. Now we're actually discussing a story on all the sharp, nasty dangerous !!!! we find in the ground. That might have some real value.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 346
Congrats on helping them clean the grounds as well as some neat finds !!!!

That story they are considering doing will help put detectorists in a good light as people who can remove trash from areas as well as hunt for stuff !

What was the name / call letters of the TV station ? Maybe they might have the story archived on their web site.

Great job cleaning the grounds of the sharp and dangerous objects. I guess this is a good lesson for all of us regarding posting of finds etc. Whether or not it was on social media, I think it would have been courteous of them to notify you the story was going to be running.

That story they are considering doing will help put detectorists in a good light as people who can remove trash from areas as well as hunt for stuff !

EXACTLY why I wrote this article

DO METAL DETECTING ENTHUSIASTS DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD?

http://detecting365.com/metal-detecting-enthusiasts-harm-good/

Many forum members sent their trash finds to be featured in the article for that exact reason, to show that we remove sharp objects and make places safer and BETTER

DO METAL DETECTING ENTHUSIASTS DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD?

My biggest fear would be the place getting overrun by other detectorists! I guess in the case of school cleanup that could be a good thing. I'd be irked too.

On another note I once found razor blades and a live .40 round in a pre-school play area. WTH?

The cure for this type of particular "journalistic piracy" let's call it, is to set all of your social media accounts to private, making them view-able only by the people you choose to allow to see your info. It's easy to do and keeps snoopy unauthorized persons out of your beeswax. :yes:

My biggest fear would be the place getting overrun by other detectorists! I guess in the case of school cleanup that could be a good thing. I'd be irked too.
On another note I once found razor blades and a live .40 round in a pre-school play area. WTH?

That initially crossed my mind also, but then I thought since it is a "private" school that it wouldn't be open to the general public and that prior permission would likely be needed.

The cure for this type of particular "journalistic piracy" let's call it, is to set all of your social media accounts to private, making them view-able only by the people you choose to allow to see your info. It's easy to do and keeps snoopy unauthorized persons out of your beeswax. :yes:

I only very occasionally get on Facebook and have an account to occasionally check on what relatives and friends in other states have been up to, and I do have my account set so that only people in my friends list can see my page and not the general public. It is also good to do to keep scammers away.

I have not posted any finds for a year or so.. Getting too crazy out there and not like the good old days with no worries..

I hate social media and jack my wifes a$$ all the time for putting my finds on her fagbook account. leave my private life private. if you post it, everyone has the right to see it. another reason my biz doesn't have an account.

Back
Top Bottom