Magnet fishing

Here's a tip--don't get a magnet that is stronger than what you can pull! If it gets stuck on something that won't come up, like a car, for example, you want to be able to pull it off. If it is too strong, you'll end up having to dive for it, and try to pry or slide it off whatever it is stuck to.

Tip #2, make sure your rope is strong enough to pull the full strength of the magnet,

and Tip #3, tie the end of the rope to yourself, so you don't lose it.

Here's a tip--don't get a magnet that is stronger than what you can pull! If it gets stuck on something that won't come up, like a car, for example, you want to be able to pull it off. If it is too strong, you'll end up having to dive for it, and try to pry or slide it off whatever it is stuck to.

Tip #2, make sure your rope is strong enough to pull the full strength of the magnet,

i agree with all of that! also, if i can add a little bit: wear gloves as you'll likely catch some nice sharp fishhooks and although i've never "caught" anything really heavy, i've had my share of snags between large rocks! more than once i thought i'd be losing my magnet, so.... it doesn't hurt to know the area where you'll be fishing. docks are great places, but areas with numerous large rocks can be a real pain and no gain.
but it's great fun! as with detecting, you never know what you might find! :D
oh, and my setup is a 150lb magnet and 50 ft of 3/8 nylon rope. there's lots of great vids on youtube pertaining to this form of detecting.

Pete

One video I saw, a guy cut a plastic bottle in half, (think plastic pop bottle) and then threaded the rope through the neck of the top then tied it to the magnet. This made a snag-resistant "shell" in front of the magnet, making the whole thing slide through things better without snagging.

One video I saw, a guy cut a plastic bottle in half, (think plastic pop bottle) and then threaded the rope through the neck of the top then tied it to the magnet. This made a snag-resistant "shell" in front of the magnet, making the whole thing slide through things better without snagging.

I've seen Aquachigger do that and he also explained it on one of his videos

This seems like it could be fun! I'm thinking about getting a setup now haha...From your experience, (I know these magnets are pretty powerful), how close do you have to get to a metallic target to pick it up? Just wondering how crucial the diameter of the magnet is.

magnet

You can but magnets that are cone shaped, so no need to cut the plastic bottle thingy. Look for Brute magnet.

Paul B

I am watching some of the videos and is this something you just walk along the water and pop the magnet into the water?

there's various ways of doing it:
you can stand on shore and toss it out and drag it back in repeatedly or find a dock/wharf and just drop it straight down and "jig" it up and down on the bottom. even with small objects, you can sometimes feel the vibration through your rope when something gets attached. larger items will add weight which you will certainly feel it! docks are also great areas for giving it the old heave-ho. ;)

on a side note, one area where i've tossed the magnet is a common trout fishing spot, stocked lake, etc. one thing i've encountered there..... besides retrieving tons of hooks.... is the abundance of fishing line in the water! literally miles of the stuff! i'd be slowly pulling the magnet back in and how many times did it "feel" like i had something stuck to it when in fact it just turned out to be more fishing line caught on it. :mad:
on the bright side, i've never caught any pulltabs, haha! :laughing:

as with metal detecting, the busier the area, the more likely you'll catch some stuff. if you go to a lake in the middle of no where, chances of getting anything are slim but go to a busy dock and it's more likely people have lost/dropped/thrown things. ;)

Pete

I still can't find this magnet on the site, Aqua has it listed as a mms gy8? I found the magnet, this guy makes good videos, aquadigger,

I might just get a magnet and place it on the end of a stick and walk along the river bank, might be easier than using the detector.

By the way, do you know what he does with all the metal he finds?

Last edited:
Man finds $17K gold coin stuck to ferrous metal pulled from riverbed with a magnet.

Oldest find- 1958 wheat penny.

I see that our friends over at the "T" place have a dedicated forum for the magnet fishing. It would be nice if we could generate enough interest here for the same. It is a very fast growing hobby that fits well with our MD way of life.

Back
Top Bottom