Old bingo chip and clad while a crowd of kids followed me around

TriadHunter

Elite Member
Disclaimer: It probably goes without saying, but I don't recommend interacting with children like this unless you have explicit permission from the parents. The world is too evil and sick to just assume parents are ok with an adult male detecting with their little ones and showing them how to use the detecting equipment. That being said, I have two children and my 9 year-old son was with me and we stayed in plain view on the property of a pool club we all belong to, so I felt ok with the 10 kids that crowded around us while we detected a large grassy hill and some volleyball courts.

The great part was I got to show them on the ACE 400 what the signals meant and I was pulling clad out left and right, much to their amazement. The kids were helping me pinpoint which they found very exciting for some reason. They were all so excited when I said, "it's a high 80's to low 90's signal; probably a quarter" let them pinpoint it, and then pried out a quarter from the grass. They were even more excited when I gave them each their own "find." In one plug I pulled out 3 quarters, 1 nickel and a penny. They thought that was a coolest thing ever.

One of the kids insisted I dig an iron signal in the volleyball court. I told him it was going to be junk but I dug it anyway. Out popped a nasty looking shank. I pointed at all their bare feet and said, "see, this is why detecting can be a great thing!"

I probably dug about $2.50 in clad in front of them and then I hit an odd signal in the low 80's. Usually this indicates a can or can slaw, but the hit was small so I dug it. Out came a large flat coin-looking thing. Before I knew it, 5 pairs of hands were grabbing at it. I had to calm them all down and explain that I needed to see what it was. Turns out it was a Myrtle Beach Sloppy Joe's Bingo Token. Some Internet searching revealed it was a 24/7/365 restaurant in Myrtle in the 50's - 70's that eventually had Bingo and many battles with the city when the bingo was deemed for-profit. It was torn down when Ripley's Believe It Or Not went in its place.

slopjoe.jpg

Check out those old cars in the photo!

Over all it was a really fun day. I think it's so cool how drawn to this hobby kids are. It encourages them to get outside, to be responsible and to research their finds. I love our hobby!

Shown below are some photos after I gave much of the clad away.

Attachments

• IMG_20170722_204514.jpg
    IMG_20170722_204514.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_20170722_204553.jpg
    IMG_20170722_204553.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20170722_204530.jpg
    IMG_20170722_204530.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 382
Last year I found a man's lost ring for him. His daughter is a teacher at a nearby school and she sponsors an after school club for boys. She asked me if I'd talk to the boys about metal detecting.

The Sunday before my presentationI took about $20 in quarters and a bunch of foreign coins, a couple dozen of matchbox cars, some bling jewelry and a watch and buried it in some mulch beds. Then I took some detectors and pinpointers with me and after my presentation they went hunting. They had a great time and so did I.

And there were benefits. I gave all of them my business cards and I got 3 permissions from it. The teacher's father gave me permission to hunt a large tract of land he owns and I found a SECOND ring of his ( he lost his first wedding ring 30 years ago and the first ring I found was the replacement so now he has both!!). And the school has given me permission to hunt their grounds and I've found some neat things there.

This hobby is often about giving. And in return we receive!

Last year I found a man's lost ring for him. His daughter is a teacher at a nearby school and she sponsors an after school club for boys. She asked me if I'd talk to the boys about metal detecting.

The Sunday before my presentationI took about $20 in quarters and a bunch of foreign coins, a couple dozen of matchbox cars, some bling jewelry and a watch and buried it in some mulch beds. Then I took some detectors and pinpointers with me and after my presentation they went hunting. They had a great time and so did I.

And there were benefits. I gave all of them my business cards and I got 3 permissions from it. The teacher's father gave me permission to hunt a large tract of land he owns and I found a SECOND ring of his ( he lost his first wedding ring 30 years ago and the first ring I found was the replacement so now he has both!!). And the school has given me permission to hunt their grounds and I've found some neat things there.

This hobby is often about giving. And in return we receive!

What a cool story! Nugget Noggin came to my kids' school and they just loved him there. I fully support a seeded hunt like you set up. Very cool!

Disclaimer: It probably goes without saying, but I don't recommend interacting with children like this unless you have explicit permission from the parents. The world is too evil and sick to just assume parents are ok with an adult male detecting with their little ones and showing them how to use the detecting equipment. That being said, I have two children and my 9 year-old son was with me and we stayed in plain view on the property of a pool club we all belong to, so I felt ok with the 10 kids that crowded around us while we detected a large grassy hill and some volleyball courts.

The great part was I got to show them on the ACE 400 what the signals meant and I was pulling clad out left and right, much to their amazement. The kids were helping me pinpoint which they found very exciting for some reason. They were all so excited when I said, "it's a high 80's to low 90's signal; probably a quarter" let them pinpoint it, and then pried out a quarter from the grass. They were even more excited when I gave them each their own "find." In one plug I pulled out 3 quarters, 1 nickel and a penny. They thought that was a coolest thing ever.

One of the kids insisted I dig an iron signal in the volleyball court. I told him it was going to be junk but I dug it anyway. Out popped a nasty looking shank. I pointed at all their bare feet and said, "see, this is why detecting can be a great thing!"

I probably dug about $2.50 in clad in front of them and then I hit an odd signal in the low 80's. Usually this indicates a can or can slaw, but the hit was small so I dug it. Out came a large flat coin-looking thing. Before I knew it, 5 pairs of hands were grabbing at it. I had to calm them all down and explain that I needed to see what it was. Turns out it was a Myrtle Beach Sloppy Joe's Bingo Token. Some Internet searching revealed it was a 24/7/365 restaurant in Myrtle in the 50's - 70's that eventually had Bingo and many battles with the city when the bingo was deemed for-profit. It was torn down when Ripley's Believe It Or Not went in its place.

slopjoe.jpg

Check out those old cars in the photo!

Over all it was a really fun day. I think it's so cool how drawn to this hobby kids are. It encourages them to get outside, to be responsible and to research their finds. I love our hobby!

Shown below are some photos after I gave much of the clad away.

I think it's great that you got to show some kids the hobby, the benefits and the fun it can be. I agree that talking to kids on your own may set off the bells and whistles to some parents, and that's unfortunate but it is the world we live in now. That you had your own son with you made the difference I bet. My kids haven't been out with me yet because they're a little too young but I will bring them with me at some point and have had fun showing them the hobby in our yard. Good for you for taking your own time out of your detecting to show a group of kids how to have fun and do it correctly too.

Cool story Triad!

I went to a local park a couple of months ago with my wife and 3 kids. I took my detector of course and before long there were 9 kids following me around...my wife counted them!

My kids haven't been out with me yet because they're a little too young but I will bring them with me at some point and have had fun showing them the hobby in our yard. Good for you for taking your own time out of your detecting to show a group of kids how to have fun and do it correctly too.

Good plan! You'll figure this out, but I noticed with young kids that the pinpointer and initial "grab" of the coin/relic is the most exciting part for them. I got grouchy a few times with my own kids due to their lack of patience after getting them swinging detectors and then I thought, "what am I being such a grouch for? This stuff has been in the dirt for ____ years; it's probably not going anywhere!" LOL!

Cool story Triad!

I went to a local park a couple of months ago with my wife and 3 kids. I took my detector of course and before long there were 9 kids following me around...my wife counted them!

Isn't it crazy? I cannot believe how kids are so drawn to what I'm doing when detecting. They are just fascinated by it. In fact, I find that most people (child or adult) in public areas are staring at me because they're wondering if I found anything, not because they don't like me around. It always helps my cause, it seems, to have a big white trash bag hanging out of my rear pocket. I have a hard time, as a person, just striking up conversation with random people and I have found, like a dog, a detector is a great ice breaker.

Anyway, enough of my theories! HH!

This is all great stuff. A lot of people ask me all the time if I found something , or, what am I looking for? After I explain my particular situation at hand, They are all fascinated and follow me a bit. Friendly conversations really go a long way and I have always been asked how to get started. "I have always wanted a metal detector", "what is a good one to get", "my husband has talked about detecting" and all the like conversations. Being friends with the community you are in means a lot towards acceptance of our hobby....

Back
Top Bottom