Old rare? Token

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Went out early to the old grade school to make a few passes and beat the heat. Only found clad this time, but it was a nice morning to be out. On the way home I stopped by the Peace Dollar field for a quick 40 minute hunt before it got too hot. I got a deep zincoln signal, and decided to dig since Ive started to dig the iffy signals there. About 8" down, I found this rectangular object with writing on it. Thinking it might be a plate for some small mechanical device, I put it in my pocket and kept going. On my way home, and at an unusually long traffic light, I pulled it out and rubbed it a bit, and saw that it said "Good for 12.5 cents in trade"

101_5055.jpg

101_5049.jpg

I looked for it in the Token Catalog, and could only find a 5 cent token for the Helland and Nelson Arcade and Bar. Thanks for looking and HH!

Half a quarter?!? What an odd amount. Sounds like a similar structure to the Spanish real system. Fantastic save :-)

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

That's a very cool token find. Congrats!

Thank you

Neat token!

Thanks

Very cool!
I have never seen one for 12.5 cents before

It is odd mat. Im hoping its territorial.

Half a quarter?!? What an odd amount. Sounds like a similar structure to the Spanish real system. Fantastic save :-)

Oldest coin- 1958 wheat penny.

Thanks, it is odd.

Very nice!! Looks like the token is from McCabe, Montana.

Thanks. I saw the 5 cent token online. Not sure if it was found at McCabe, or if the bar was there. Not much of a town there. I need to do more research.

That's an awesome find, congrats

Thank you

That would be 1 bit. See below:
In the United States, the bit is equal to one eighth of a dollar or 12 1⁄2 cents. ... With the adoption of the decimal U.S. currency in 1794, there was no longer a U.S. coin worth 1⁄8 of a dollar but "two bits" remained in the language with the meaning of one quarter dollar, "four bits" half dollar, etc.

Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_(money)

Super cool token, wow!

Thank you

In the United States, the bit is equal to one eighth of a dollar or 12 1⁄2 cents. ... With the adoption of the decimal U.S. currency in 1794, there was no longer a U.S. coin worth 1⁄8 of a dollar but "two bits" remained in the language with the meaning of one quarter dollar, "four bits" half dollar, etc.

Wikipedia

Thanks for posting that

Wow, too cool!!!!

Thank you

One Bit???
Very cool!

Thanks

Great looking token congrats!!

Thanks

Probably needed two to buy a beer

...or one to buy two beers? :grin:

That is an awesome OLD token! That thing has got to be territorial or just after.

Thanks. Id love to find out. Ill go down to the museum sometime and see what I can find out. Could be the only one left??? :yes:

Wikipedia

So it would be good for half of a shave and a haircut?

Back
Top Bottom