River bed

snickers104

Has anyone hunted a dry river bed? I'm in SW Kansas and the river bed has been dry for quite a few years....thinking this would be a decent place to hunt.
I will probably start where downstream would have been from the Cimarron Crossing on the Arkansas. Any thoughts?

Has anyone hunted a dry river bed? I'm in SW Kansas and the river bed has been dry for quite a few years....thinking this would be a decent place to hunt.
I will probably start where downstream would have been from the Cimarron Crossing on the Arkansas. Any thoughts?

Why not? Never tried it, but sounds worth a shot. What are you waiting for?

HH & GL.

I hunt a running river or two from time to time, one of which is downstream from a dam, so the level fluctuates a bit. I’m mainly after swimmer drops, not sure if your looking for that or relics, but either way I’d look for good swimming hole spots and hit those, maybe you’ll find a gold nugget too :D. Good luck, happy hunting, and let us know what you find!

Yes, hunt it. Do your research, old crossings at trails etc. I didn't used to have much faith in hunting creek beds till about a month ago. We were hunting an island in a river. Not finding much. As the tide receded, it exposed lots of cobbles, baseball size roughly. We decided to hunt the freshly exposed stones. In minutes we were on wheats, then, a barber, a merc an SLQ and two Rosies. Those stones trap items and keep them from washing away. It also appears that the running water washes away most of the lighter metal, beer cans, pull tabs etc. Yea, we're going back.

Yes, hunt it. Do your research, old crossings at trails etc. I didn't used to have much faith in hunting creek beds till about a month ago. We were hunting an island in a river. Not finding much. As the tide receded, it exposed lots of cobbles, baseball size roughly. We decided to hunt the freshly exposed stones. In minutes we were on wheats, then, a barber, a merc an SLQ and two Rosies. Those stones trap items and keep them from washing away. It also appears that the running water washes away most of the lighter metal, beer cans, pull tabs etc. Yea, we're going back.

This crossing is where the Santa Fe trail crossed headed South.

Bud, I'd be all over that place. Lots of people activity above, below and all around the crossing, both sides. If it was large enough to flood, people would have camped on one side or the other waiting for it to settle down. Get over there!

Kansas has squirrelly laws governing its waterways. Most of the rivers are treated as private property, even when they have water flowing in them. The Arkansas River is big enough that federal law applies, and you won't need permission if you stay within the banks and don't cross private land to get to it, I don't think. But on most other rivers you do need permission.

Here's what the state has to say about it:

http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Rivers-and-Streams-Access

Went and took my new AT pro...wow what a difference....found some clad and one Indian..found some fishing gear. I think the last time the river was high enough to fish in was like 30 or 40 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom