New York: New Westchester, Hudson Valley Club

Terry Soloman

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
New Westchester County, New York MD Club

The number of people calling me about metal detecting here in the Hudson Valley has grown so much that I think it is time to start a club. For the record, I don’t like hobby clubs for several reasons. The number ONE reason is know-it-all; I’m-smarter-than-you; My-equipment/technique-is-better-than-yours; blowhards. As a metal detectorist since 1977, I have experienced all aspects of the blowhard persona, and if you are one of these insecure, attention-needing freaks - do not expect to be welcomed into the fold.

Our new club will probably be unlike any other. You will move up the ranks of seniority by HELPING other members, and finding locations the club can hunt together. In fact, the price of full admission into our club will be hosting a club hunt at a location you found and have permission to hunt. No dues, no club officers, no “required” meetings.

My vision is a social network of like-minded hobbyists who actually enjoy meeting other people, swinging their machines, and growing/sharing their knowledge and experience base. As we get our membership together, we can explore bringing on local sponsors and equipment dealers to help us put together public relations and education projects that will benefit the club, local charities, and our various Hudson Valley communities.

The club will be based in White Plains, New York, the Westchester County seat, and will meet informally once a month to welcome new members, share finds, discuss new projects and hunts, and to recognize current members for their contributions to the club and fellow members. Our first meeting will be a get-to-know each other affair, at The Porter House in downtown White Plains (on Mamaroneck Ave).

If you are interested in attending please send an email with “Westchester MD Club” in the subject line to me at: [email protected] by Monday, April 30, 2012.

On May 1st, I’ll send everyone that emailed me the day and time to meet at The Porter House for our first meeting where I will kick things off by providing the location and day of our first club hunt! I am looking forward to meeting you. - Terry

Not to hijack your thread Terry but got me thinking......... In the almost 30 years of detecting I have done up here in St. Lawrence County New York I have only seen one other person out detecting and only seen him one time. I do know two people personally that has a detector but only one of them uses their detector & he uses it seldom. I am fortunate that my wife loves to detect as much as I do but it would be neat if there were others to detect with and really cool if there was a detecting club, I have never but would love to go to a club meeting or a seeded hunt (another thing I have never been to). The folks in Hudson Valley are fortunate to have you doing what you are doing for them.

Not to hijack your thread Terry but got me thinking......... In the almost 30 years of detecting I have done up here in St. Lawrence County New York I have only seen one other person out detecting and only seen him one time. I do know two people personally that has a detector but only one of them uses their detector & he uses it seldom. I am fortunate that my wife loves to detect as much as I do but it would be neat if there were others to detect with and really cool if there was a detecting club, I have never but would love to go to a club meeting or a seeded hunt (another thing I have never been to). The folks in Hudson Valley are fortunate to have you doing what you are doing for them.

Cool post Ski, and thank you! Look for a PM.. :cool:

Well done Terry! :goodidea: I've sent my email, and am prepared to run the obstacle course, jump thru fire, and fight a bear to get in! ...question? Are you supplying the bear or do I have to rent one from the Bronx Zoo? Let me know. :good:

Good luck with your club Terry.
Sounds like a of of fun for the folks who detect up by you.
If I was closer I would participate.

Thank you everyone! So far 11-folks have sent me an email. Again, if you are in the White Plains, New York area, and want to network with fellow area metal detectors once a month at the local pub, Email me by April 30th!

Lol!

Well done Terry! :goodidea: I've sent my email, and am prepared to run the obstacle course, jump thru fire, and fight a bear to get in! ...question? Are you supplying the bear or do I have to rent one from the Bronx Zoo? Let me know. :good:

I'm going to throw you in the trunk and take you out to Long Island. When I open the trunk, you'll be looking up at LIBear and Joe4077.. If you make it back to Westchester, you're in! :laughing:

Terry, this isn't one of those fight clubs that your are always talking about starting...is it? How are you going to explain the bruising to Kate?:laughing:

Very cool Terry. I wish we could get something going on like that down here. Good job, and good luck...

Porterhouse tonight

Are we still on for tonight? Who is going? What are we bringing? Are they allowing us to detect the grounds?:laughing:

Hope you guys and gals have a great first meeting wish I was not working so I could take a ride up. Hopefully next time.

Wow!!!!

What an incredible turnout! From Fishkill to the Bronx, and everywhere in between! Just a fantastic first get-together. We overwhelmed the wait staff a little, but next time I'll make sure they are ready for 30 or so! Wednesday June 20, 2012 at 630pm at the Porterhouse in White Plains - Be There!

Back
Top Bottom