Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Athletic Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
I told them I found it in the lake, the phone would not power up obviously, so I could not retrieve any numbers or data to track down the owner.. I also told them to feel free to send it back to the owner if they felt the need or could..

<*)))>{
Not pointing the finger here, just trying to work through it. It seems most of these sites have the same process. I've emailed a couple, told them I found the phone on the beach, and it's obviously abandoned. I found it, I own it. But that's not how they see it.

R5

Old 09-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ra1der5 View post
Not pointing the finger here, just trying to work through it. It seems most of these sites have the same process. I've emailed a couple, told them I found the phone on the beach, and it's obviously abandoned. I found it, I own it. But that's not how they see it.

R5
I hear ya man, never felt pointed at...

I guess all I can do is see what ones make it through... The ones that don't get through, well, they have all the super high tech, hooked up with the FBI, space age owner tracking...They can send em home...

If the police show up I'll be glad to show them how they are found...

<*)))>{

Old 09-13-2014, 02:35 AM

Last week i retrieved a Samsung S4 for a lady which had been lost while falling from a horse in a ditch. The S4 had a whole night of laying in the water. Told her too take it apart wash it off and lay it in rice. Few days later got a call that it was still working fine. Salt and time would wear a lot more, but still could be usable items in them!

Old 09-13-2014, 03:07 AM
Elite Member

Or if you are actually feeling somewhat ambitious about getting the most money and not having to worry about someone telling you the phone has been reported stolen so they get to keep it for free, eBay. Take a couple pictures of it, make sure you are clear that it was found in a lake, and you'll get at least as much as these cash4gold type places easy.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Elite Member

Never know... they may retrieve info off some.

D. Meeker

Old 09-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Paper View post
Or if you are actually feeling somewhat ambitious about getting the most money and not having to worry about someone telling you the phone has been reported stolen so they get to keep it for free, eBay. Take a couple pictures of it, make sure you are clear that it was found in a lake, and you'll get at least as much as these cash4gold type places easy.
Good point, I need to have to learn how to use fee bay one of these days...

<*)))>{

Old 07-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Smile Funny Story

Crazy story relating to this I thought you all would enjoy. I own <<UNAUTHORIZED LINK REMOVED>> we purchase all sorts of electronics and when someone sent us a lost device, we told them we cannot confirm it is not stolen so we can't purchase it.

In response, the customer told us that they found it diving and they have video footage of it being found at the bottom of the ocean. Here's the vid if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_DUkJ3Bs8U

My team got a kick out of it.

Last edited by SeabeeRon; 07-19-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation mmmmm

That's why i through the one not working in the trash, land fill is a better RIP place rather than returning it to the water . Knock on your door is coming Return the working phone's to the owner and get a reward, trash the phone's not working

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Elite Member

they have to worth something like maybe the, screens if not damaged can be used to fix another phone?

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 07-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
So I found a couple smart phones this season.. After asking around it looks like this is the place to do it...

https://www.gazelle.com/

I looked up the two phones, damaged and not working, $50 & $35, the IPhone was the $50...

Filled out the application, chose the "send a free box and label" option, a few days later I found two boxes in my mail box.. Stuck the phones in the boxes and stuck the label on, two minutes later they were ready to send in...

Then I got this...

"Your box has been delivered!

Your box has arrived at Gazelle. Next, we'll unpack the box and prepare your item for inspection. Look out for our email updates along the way.

If you have any questions, please visit our help center.

Thanks,
The Gazelle Team "

Then this...

"Good news! Everything checked out.
We've tested your Apple iPhone 5 16GB (Sprint) (SR46846973899) and everything checked out. The condition was just as you described.

Your payment will be sent in 3 to 5 days. We'll send you a confirmation email once your payment is on its way.

Thanks,
The Gazelle Team"

Looks like I'm 3-5 days away from $85, in all for both phones, it took about 15 minutes of work on my end!!

I will update this once I get my money as well. I just thought I would share this with you guys, seems pretty easy. I'm looking forward to more phones in my scoop at this point!!

<*)))>{
Thanks for sharing! I just tried it and seems legit

"Gold is good in its place, but living, brave, patriotic men are better than gold" Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

Hmmm. I found a iPhone X that will not turn on even though it probably only was in the fresh water for less than 24 hours. I had it in rice for 2 weeks. I check and it was reported lost for good and replaced already. I wanted to sell it for parts as it was fresh water damage and still good. Not a scratch on it. I will look into this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3lt5YN59j_6NrzpC9yg0g

Old 07-21-2019, 05:30 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by WildDigger View post
Hmmm. I found a iPhone X that will not turn on even though it probably only was in the fresh water for less than 24 hours. I had it in rice for 2 weeks. I check and it was reported lost for good and replaced already. I wanted to sell it for parts as it was fresh water damage and still good. Not a scratch on it. I will look into this.
Looking at some potentially big cash for that 1. Have you tried charging it? It is possible to take it to the iphone shop and have them open it. Maybe a new battery is needed... those phones are worth some big bucks.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Found 4 cell phones in Gulf this year. One found in 3 ft water was in a "LifeProof" case and was waterproof. Was surprised after I threw it on the ground that it woke up. Was able to return to owner via carrier. Other 3 were shot but heard they might be worth something. After reading this thread, decided to just throw 2 away and give Apple to Grand Nieces and Nephews to take apart and discover what is inside an iPhone.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View post
Found 4 cell phones in Gulf this year. One found in 3 ft water was in a "LifeProof" case and was waterproof. Was surprised after I threw it on the ground that it woke up. Was able to return to owner via carrier. Other 3 were shot but heard they might be worth something. After reading this thread, decided to just throw 2 away and give Apple to Grand Nieces and Nephews to take apart and discover what is inside an iPhone.
Good post. Curious what the result of the re-united phone was ? The one you traced through a carrier. Was there any tip or reward that came your way ? Not that that steers our efforts, but ..... just curious.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

Default What i found out !

The I phone i found in the wet was still on, it had a emergency # on the front screen, phone lost CALL # , it was locked, but would let you call that number, i had called from that phone early AM to the owner, NO answer, i turned the phone off to conserve power, that afternoon i powered it up , talked to the owner, he new the GPS location , but was unable to figure out what house i was at, he pulled in my neighbor's drive way , so the GPS lost locator is not dead on, i held the phone until he got his wallet out , 1st i had to explain were i found it , 6 inches in the wet sand , with a block location , using a metal detector , and the time i found it , he was happy to hand me a reward, cheaper than buying a new phone, if it wasn't for me, that phone would have been in the Ocean ON the next high tide , Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Tags
money in the bank??