I stand corrected

Foragist

Forum Supporter
My detecting morning turned into a detecting day; with little of value to show for it. Rain, lightning, heavier rain, multiple locations, and then humidity. I was still enjoying the hunt, but eventually assumed it was going nowhere. Less than a dollar in clad is embarrassing, but I wasn't really looking for clad. I wanted to find an oldie! Couldn't even muster a wheat cent today. I was getting close to the truck, and ever so close to quitting, when I heard it. Nox says silver! Sounded like a quarter. I was thinking "this better not be a thick chunk of some scrap metal! If this isn't silver, I'm going to cry!" At first I saw the smooth edge of a silver, round disc. No reeding, I was thinking "Oh no! not a stupid washer!". No, it was not! Standing Liberty quarter!! Turns out, the edge was just badly worn, and the front and back are pretty slick too. It has been a few years since I dug my first SLQ, and now I have a second one! This makes silver coin #24 FTY. Very happy ending to a pleasant hunt that I nearly gave up on. :D

Attachments

• 20200629_153529.jpg
    20200629_153529.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 20200629_153446.jpg
    20200629_153446.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 20200629_154320.jpg
    20200629_154320.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 20200629_154348.jpg
    20200629_154348.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 435
Nice one Blaise! You’re running 50 tone? That sure is a smooth one but I’m sure you’re OK with that...:yes:

Those days are tough. Perseverance brings it home!
Thanks. Yeah, I like to keep going until I dig something "good".

Great way to end a hunt like that, big Congrats on the SLQ!
Thank you. I detected for about another 3 or 4 minutes after that; just in case.

Nice SLQ, those are beautiful coins. Congrats!
Thanks. I really like the flying eagle on the back!

Another “walking back to the car” silver!!!
Yep! I have said it before: If I'm only digging one "nice find" for the day, I'd rather dig it at the end of a long hunt, than at the beginning.

Nice one Blaise! You’re running 50 tone? That sure is a smooth one but I’m sure you’re OK with that...:yes:
Yes. Park2, 50 tone. Love it when the high tones(and even nickel tones) grab my attention. :yes:
I am OK with the no date smoothy. I'm just rounding it off as a "hundred year old coin"!

Standing Liberty quarter!! Turns out, the edge was just badly worn, and the front and back are pretty slick too. It has been a few years since I dug my first SLQ, and now I have a second one! This makes silver coin #24 FTY. Very happy ending to a pleasant hunt that I nearly gave up on. :D

Congrats on the find, and a great way to end the day too!

Well instead of letting your find go into the date unknown pile I did a bit of investigating with your photo. I can say I'm 99% certain it is a 1929 SLQ. :D

I adjusted the image channels, colors in a curve, colors highlight/shadow, sharpness, etc... Anyway too much time for sure for the maximum detail. As it was a 1900s coin I already had half the numbers. With a SLQ the decade had to be a 1, 2, or 3 as they were made from 1916 to 1930. So I began to overlay worn SLQ images online with readable dates over your image. Your SLQ detail showed the top curve matching a 2 so it's a 1920s. Repeating the process for the last digit and a 9 it is. That can be seen by the inside circle of the 9 and the outer bottom curve. Likely hard to make out in the smaller image below with a few static images stacked below one another, but indeed it matches.

Here are the images from my effort scaled for the FMDF at 600 pixels max. The first shows your original image, along with the modified image with a correctly angled and scaled worn SLQ of the proper year. The 2nd image shows a close-up of the date with the overlay at 100%. Followed by 40% showing off the matching detail on your SLQ. With the last showing just the maximum detail of your SLQ and no overlay.

A fun project to see if it was possible to read a unreadable date. Yes, indeed it is at least on some coins with trial/error, experience in photo editing, a good licensed photo program, and time to kill. :waytogo: I will not however be doing this regularly for such coins on FMDF sorry to say.

Attachments

• Foragist-1929-SLQ1.jpg
    Foragist-1929-SLQ1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 370
  • Foragist-1929-SLQ2.jpg
    Foragist-1929-SLQ2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 367
Way to snatch that SLQ on your walk back to your vehicle! Sometimes hunts do go that way - my last one I struck out with modern coins and wheaties until the last 10 minutes when I snagged a couple of silvers.

Fortune smiles on the bold.

I often find myself praying, or begging, for "just on good target" on my long walk back on a defeated day.

...sometimes it pays off.

Better late than never! Nice find!
Yes Sir! Thank you.
Absolutely- great find on a tough day!
Thank you. Yes it was!
Congrats on the find, and a great way to end the day too!
Well instead of letting your find go into the date unknown pile I did a bit of investigating with your photo. I can say I'm 99% certain it is a 1929 SLQ. :D

I adjusted the image channels, colors in a curve, colors highlight/shadow, sharpness, etc... Anyway too much time for sure for the maximum detail. As it was a 1900s coin I already had half the numbers. With a SLQ the decade had to be a 1, 2, or 3 as they were made from 1916 to 1930. So I began to overlay worn SLQ images online with readable dates over your image. Your SLQ detail showed the top curve matching a 2 so it's a 1920s. Repeating the process for the last digit and a 9 it is. That can be seen by the inside circle of the 9 and the outer bottom curve. Likely hard to make out in the smaller image below with a few static images stacked below one another, but indeed it matches.

Here are the images from my effort scaled for the FMDF at 600 pixels max. The first shows your original image, along with the modified image with a correctly angled and scaled worn SLQ of the proper year. The 2nd image shows a close-up of the date with the overlay at 100%. Followed by 40% showing off the matching detail on your SLQ. With the last showing just the maximum detail of your SLQ and no overlay.

A fun project to see if it was possible to read a unreadable date. Yes, indeed it is at least on some coins with trial/error, experience in photo editing, a good licensed photo program, and time to kill. :waytogo: I will not however be doing this regularly for such coins on FMDF sorry to say.
OK...Wow! I had to read this a couple times, and look hard at your color-enhanced photos. The slice at the bottom looks so nondescript until I train my eyes with the upper slices showing the "fading" overlay images. Following them with my eyes, I can actually see enough of the 29 in the bottom slice to agree with your assessment! Not 100% certain, but convincing enough for me! Very well done! Thank you Thank you!!
Yep! Adding a little here and there...thanks!
Way to snatch that SLQ on your walk back to your vehicle! Sometimes hunts do go that way - my last one I struck out with modern coins and wheaties until the last 10 minutes when I snagged a couple of silvers.
Exploring unknown locations didn't work. Hunting one hammered flat location didn't work. Hunting another hammered flat location almost didn't work...until it did! Thanks.
Fortune smiles on the bold.

I often find myself praying, or begging, for "just on good target" on my long walk back on a defeated day.

...sometimes it pays off.
Amen to that! Sounds very familiar.

Last edited:
OK...Wow! I had to read this a couple times, and look hard at your color-enhanced photos. The slice at the bottom looks so nondescript until I train my eyes with the upper slices showing the "fading" overlay images. Following them with my eyes, I can actually see enough of the 29 in the bottom slice to agree with your assessment! Not 100% certain, but convincing enough for me! Very well done! Thank you Thank you!!

Well great, I'm glad the overlay images did help as intended! With the limited files and sizes allowed on FMDF that was the best I could come up with at the moment. Your welcome, happy to have helped. :D

8 years and i still have not found a SLQ. I would love to find one even if it was worn slick. Congratulations.

Slick but beautiful. No other way to say anything bad about pulling a Stander. Congrats Blaise, Trapper
Funny how that works. To me, the best looking coins are (1st)nearest to mint, or (2nd)severely worn. 3rd is anything in-between. Thanks Trapper.

8 years and i still have not found a SLQ. I would love to find one even if it was worn slick. Congratulations.
I would love to read about it, George! Go get you one! TY & HH

Back
Top Bottom