NYC Metal Detecting Permit

BennyV

Hello All,

I recently applied for a permit and had it back with around a 3 week turnaround time. I must say I’m kind of impressed with the turnaround time. I should be ready to hit the ground running come Spring.

-Benny

Hello All,

I recently applied for a permit and had it back with around a 3 week turnaround time. I must say I’m kind of impressed with the turnaround time. I should be ready to hit the ground running come Spring.

-Benny

I'm glad for you.

Good luck.

What rules are specified?

Now, be prepared for negative feedback from some questioning the need for your permit.....

....questioning the need for your permit.....

The ones who'll question the need for the permit probably aren't aware that in NYC permits are required.

No one is disputing the reality of "locations where permits are required". They are questioning the ORIGIN of such-rules. So-as-to head-off the birth of future such "permits" elsewhere. Which are invariably riddled with silly restrictions, blah blah.

And also, the MERE MENTION of "permits" (for, yes, cities which truly did dream them up years or decades ago), simply sends skittish or newbie folks scurrying to do what ? Drumroll : Start inquiring everywhere they go. As to whether or not there's a permit required. Thus starting the vicious circle :mad:

And let's be honest : Our eyes wax romantic at the thought of "permits", eh ? As if you can simply flash that puppy in front of anyone, and they'll slink away in shame for ever having questioned you, eh ? What's not to love about "permits", eh ? So whenever I see "permits" mentioned (yes, for places that, yes, truly have them), I roll my eyes knowing that 100 newbies will read that, and rush out to their city halls "seeking clarifications", thus : Presto, a new law or "no" is born :(

No one is disputing the reality of "locations where permits are required". They are questioning the ORIGIN of such-rules. So-as-to head-off the birth of future such "permits" elsewhere. Which are invariably riddled with silly restrictions, blah blah.

And also, the MERE MENTION of "permits" (for, yes, cities which truly did dream them up years or decades ago), simply sends skittish or newbie folks scurrying to do what ? Drumroll : Start inquiring everywhere they go. As to whether or not there's a permit required. Thus starting the vicious circle :mad:

And let's be honest : Our eyes wax romantic at the thought of "permits", eh ? As if you can simply flash that puppy in front of anyone, and they'll slink away in shame for ever having questioned you, eh ? What's not to love about "permits", eh ? So whenever I see "permits" mentioned (yes, for places that, yes, truly have them), I roll my eyes knowing that 100 newbies will read that, and rush out to their city halls "seeking clarifications", thus : Presto, a new law or "no" is born :(

Well put . Just the skeptic in me but I don’t see any permit applications in my future ; especially since I’ve been in hobby without them for 10 years. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

... I get it now......took me a minute .... I found the problem.

Hippy, don't you know what the difference is between us md'rs, and those people who burn and smash cop cars with impunity, steal with impunity, sleep on the streets, dogs pooping in the park, etc... ? Simple: They didn't go in decades ago asking:

"Hi, can I sleep on the streets ?"

"Hi, can I bash police cars ?"

"Hi, can I let my dog poop in the park and not pick it up ?"

etc....

If they had done so, then THEY TOO could have received "no's" and/or 'permits' riddled with restrictions. And then THEY TOO could have started forums lamenting their lack-of-freedoms. Thus : Shame on them for not asking . Tsk tsk.

Versus us md'rs who somehow feel we need express sanctions. And so we go showing up at bureaucratic offices, and flooding their emails asking "Can I ?" questions.

I know the "can I" , "could I" and my favorite whiny "Pleeeease"

Then someone comes up with the permit that's bad enough. What makes me go "Huh?" are the mdrs who grovel for it.

I got a permit for Hamilton County parks (same day service BTW) a few years ago. Was still harrassed by the LEO's and saw other mdrs with no permit and no cares in the same places. NEVER AGAIN.
I'm all for some rules but give me a break.
I hunt schools, parks, beaches, ballfields, city property, county property (except metroparks they have no mdrs in plain American english), and any place my hard earned tax dollars pay for.

The only reason I got it was the overwhelming presence of park police all over the local parks I frequent. Saw them hassling a guy who didn’t have one. I’d rather take the guess work out of it. Costs $0. Just a stamp.

For what it’s worth I think the mayor is garbage and the city is on the precipice of becoming a landfill.

Unless you live on the streets then the idiot mayor lets you do whatever you want.
And he's definitely an idiot.

Hippy, don't you know what the difference is between us md'rs, and those people who burn and smash cop cars with impunity, steal with impunity, sleep on the streets, dogs pooping in the park, etc... ? Simple: They didn't go in decades ago asking:

"Hi, can I sleep on the streets ?"

"Hi, can I bash police cars ?"

"Hi, can I let my dog poop in the park and not pick it up ?"

etc....

If they had done so, then THEY TOO could have received "no's" and/or 'permits' riddled with restrictions. And then THEY TOO could have started forums lamenting their lack-of-freedoms. Thus : Shame on them for not asking . Tsk tsk.

Versus us md'rs who somehow feel we need express sanctions. And so we go showing up at bureaucratic offices, and flooding their emails asking "Can I ?" questions.
Tom...this is where you're wrong.....if the questions you mentioned were asked the answer would be a resounding YES !
Can I sleep on the streets? Of course, her's a roadmap to tell you the best locations to sleep at.
Can I bash police cars? Of course, here's your complimentary baseball bat.
Can I not pick up the dog poop? Of course you don't have to, there's so much around no one will notice and it's not all DOG poop either.

I know the "can I" , "could I" and my favorite whiny "Pleeeease"

Then someone comes up with the permit that's bad enough. What makes me go "Huh?" are the mdrs who grovel for it.

I got a permit for Hamilton County parks (same day service BTW) a few years ago. Was still harrassed by the LEO's and saw other mdrs with no permit and no cares in the same places. NEVER AGAIN.
I'm all for some rules but give me a break.
I hunt schools, parks, beaches, ballfields, city property, county property (except metroparks they have no mdrs in plain American english), and any place my hard earned tax dollars pay for.
I've been at this hobby for 38 years and I still don't need no "stinking permit"

Tom... the permit is free and its to hunt parks... many here in Connecticut get their permit so they can hunt these parks in NY ...its not a big deal you get it online...

https://www.nycgovparks.org/permits/metal-detector

Well put . Just the skeptic in me but I don’t see any permit applications in my future ; especially since I’ve been in hobby without them for 10 years. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Would you/do you pass up hunting areas that require a permit, then?

My problem with a permit is that mdrs have to get something that no one else has to get a permission slip for.
Do they have a jogging permit? A picnic permit? Kids on the swing set license that is laminated and pinned to a childs clothing?
Now probably somewhere someone has a permit for these things.
My next questions are.. Do you really want to get a permit?
Does permitting accomplish anything? Do you feel more law abiding? Or are you more oppressed by a tyrannical government? Do you enjoy your enslavement? Or not.

Like I said I got one permit for Hamilton County Ohio. Never again.
They have a state park permit for Indiana state parks. I don't go there.
Just curious about how many actual mdrs get a permit. Do they check?
Doesn't NYC have some regulations about turning finds in? How's that working out?
Please inform me I'm just a longhaired bearded freak from backwards Ohio.

My problem with a permit is that mdrs have to get something that no one else has to get a permission slip for.
Do they have a jogging permit? A picnic permit? Kids on the swing set license that is laminated and pinned to a childs clothing?
Now probably somewhere someone has a permit for these things.
My next questions are.. Do you really want to get a permit?
Does permitting accomplish anything? Do you feel more law abiding? Or are you more oppressed by a tyrannical government? Do you enjoy your enslavement? Or not.

Like I said I got one permit for Hamilton County Ohio. Never again.
They have a state park permit for Indiana state parks. I don't go there.
Just curious about how many actual mdrs get a permit. Do they check?
Doesn't NYC have some regulations about turning finds in? How's that working out?
Please inform me I'm just a longhaired bearded freak from backwards Ohio.

Hard to rationally dispute your position.

Guess it boils down to whether someone chooses to ignore or abide by a requirement for a permit.

Personal choice.

...its not a big deal you get it online...

And as said in my post #4 (repeating here again) : The issue is not "does it exist" or "should someone get it". The issue is : WHY does it exist in the first place ?

Hard to rationally dispute your position....

Exactly. Ok now, I think the fine print requires that you turn in all objects of over a certain value, to city hall. Curious: Do you do that ?

I'm not suggesting that someone(s) violate that. Sure, trot down to city hall with each valuable. But just thinking that if it was really true that md'rs were dutifully showing up at city hall with rare coins, rings, etc.... to be "processed", then:

I wonder how long it would take for city-personnel (who must now deal with this bureaucracy of paperwork, time, etc...) are going to think " Wait a minute, do we really want all these yahoos out there digging up our parks and flooding our desks with trinkets ?" And presto: Another "no" is born, and another "permit" system revoked entirely. The more we are on their radar to "think about" then the more that someone is likely think of "holes" and "taking" and "removing", blah blah . Why would we want that ?

Hence, as I keep saying : As lovely as permits sounds, they tend to NEVER be a good thing, in the end :(

And as said in my post #4 (repeating here again) : The issue is not "does it exist" or "should someone get it". The issue is : WHY does it exist in the first place ?

Exactly. Ok now, I think the fine print requires that you turn in all objects of over a certain value, to city hall. Curious: Do you do that ?

I'm not suggesting that someone(s) violate that. Sure, trot down to city hall with each valuable. But just thinking that if it was really true that md'rs were dutifully showing up at city hall with rare coins, rings, etc.... to be "processed", then:

I wonder how long it would take for city-personnel (who must now deal with this bureaucracy of paperwork, time, etc...) are going to think " Wait a minute, do we really want all these yahoos out there digging up our parks and flooding our desks with trinkets ?" And presto: Another "no" is born, and another "permit" system revoked entirely. The more we are on their radar to "think about" then the more that someone is likely think of "holes" and "taking" and "removing", blah blah . Why would we want that ?

Hence, as I keep saying : As lovely as permits sounds, they tend to NEVER be a good thing, in the end :(

Don't hunt in NYC, don't hunt places that require a permit. Looked into a permit to hunt local state park. Never got it. Seemed overly restrictive when compared to more damaging activities not requiring a permit.

I'll stick to my backyard, my fields and woods.

Let a friend of mine deer hunt this season on a separate 25 acre piece i own about 25 miles away. He told me he found an old cellar hole.

Don't need a permit to hunt that this spring!

What does it matter? Why don't you write a letter asking them...:lol: all I can tell you is it does exist and my friends do very well each time they hunt the NYC parks... I believe Central Park is off limits to detecting...

Back
Top Bottom