Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 06-30-2020, 07:13 AM

Default 1727 house

Iíve just been contacted to detect a house built in 1727 with 2 acre lot. She said every time she digs she finds something old. She asked if Iíd be interested. Umm, No I donít want to detect every metal detectors dream house. Are you kidding me??? Original owner was a brigadier general in the revolutionary war. I really hope she wasnít messing with me and she gets back to me. Iím so excited. Honestly even if she wants to keep everything I donít care. This will be so much fun. I hope it stops raining here soon. I might have to wait until next week. Iíll be sure to keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM

Wow dream trip indeed! Canít wait to see what you find.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Newblue View post
Iíve just been contacted to detect a house built in 1727 with 2 acre lot. She said every time she digs she finds something old. She asked if Iíd be interested. Umm, No I donít want to detect every metal detectors dream house. Are you kidding me??? Original owner was a brigadier general in the revolutionary war. I really hope she wasnít messing with me and she gets back to me. Iím so excited. Honestly even if she wants to keep everything I donít care. This will be so much fun. I hope it stops raining here soon. I might have to wait until next week. Iíll be sure to keep you guys posted. Wish me luck.
Wow...that's awesome. Ya need any help, I can be on my way in about 5 minutes!!
Seriously, best of luck.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Whoa! Talk about an extraordinary location! Imagine the history that place has seen... just to visit it would be neat, but to metal detect there, too? A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $1.43
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM

Thanks everybody. It will be a blast but Iím getting a little nervous. She messaged me last night, through a neighborhood forum website, after I was sleeping. I messaged her back as soon as I saw it this morning with my contact information. I know I need to give her time, she is probably working, but Iím very excited and anxious to talk to her. I really hope she isnít playing with me. I know the house exists and I know she is the owner but it sounds too good to be true. Iíd hate for somebody to talk her out of it before she talks to me. Ugh! Iím going crazy! Iíll let you all know if and when I hear from her again.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:40 PM
Elite Member

Fingers crossed here for you NewBlue. Hope you get the go-ahead and uncover some history and other neat stuff there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Supporter

If it was meant to be...Ö.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:13 PM

Don't be a pest or you'll lose the chance to detect a monster yard

Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Copet View post
Don't be a pest or you'll lose the chance to detect a monster yard
I wonít pester her. Iíll at least give it a few days and then check back in with her. Itís hard sitting with so much excitement but it will be worth the wait if it comes to be. Itís been raining pretty good for the last few days so maybe she figures on waiting until the weather clears.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:53 PM

I wonít pester her. Iíll at least give it a few days and then check back in with her. Itís hard sitting with so much excitement but it will be worth the wait if it comes to be. Itís been raining pretty good for the last few days so maybe she figures on waiting until the weather clears.
Wishing you the best of luck brother! Be sure to post your findings 👀

Old 06-30-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Copet View post
Wishing you the best of luck brother! Be sure to post your findings 👀
Iím a sister not a brother, but you wouldnít necessarily know that so Iíll let it slide

Old 07-01-2020, 05:54 AM
Elite Member

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 AM

She got back to me. If the weather holds up Iíll be going on Sunday. Stay tuned...

Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM

Looking forward to what you might find Newblue. Just be prepared for the owner to be just as curious as you. Is there an understanding as to who gets to keep what? Take plenty of pics, you will at least get to keep those. Good luck ! If no one has detected that site in the past, you won't need any luck. There will be goodies for sure.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff H View post
Looking forward to what you might find Newblue. Just be prepared for the owner to be just as curious as you. Is there an understanding as to who gets to keep what? Take plenty of pics, you will at least get to keep those. Good luck ! If no one has detected that site in the past, you won't need any luck. There will be goodies for sure.
She contacted me so I know she is just as curious. She also said she looks forward to watching me do this so I wonít be surprised if she hovers over me. I havenít asked if I can keep things and I really donít care so much. Iím just intrigued by what could possibly be there. I will probably ask if I can keep at least one or two items. And I will definitely take pics.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

Good luck out there! You never know what you might find in a yard that old, keep us posted!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1738 Half Reale☆

Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 AM

Iím a sister not a brother, but you wouldnít necessarily know that so Iíll let it slide
Awesome and thank you for letting that slide 🙃

Old 07-01-2020, 11:37 AM

Let her bring up the finds issue first then go from there. She may be fine with her having the pictures and letting you keep the finds. Best thing though think is to just wait and see what you find. Likely some soils have been moved around or the ground filled some in over 250 years.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Since you are excited good for you. Personally Iíve only once done a place where I had an owner as you described. After that experience I vowed I wouldnít ever have stipulations placed upon my detecting ; takes all the fun out of it for me. If the owner is going to keep the finds let them buy a detector and find them on their own. Not worth it for me.

1 members found this post helpful.