Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 06-16-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Looking for a Sand Scoop

Hi, folks! I'm looking for a recommendation for a Sand Scoop to use in dry and wet sand. I'd prefer Stainless Steel with a 32"-34" handle. I'm not adverse to spending money, but I don't want a 2nd mortgage to pay for Sand Scoop. I saw what looks like a nice one at Beach Sand Scoop dot Com called the Miami. Looked very sturdy which appeals to me. Thanks in advance.

b/r

RB

Old 06-16-2020, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

Stealth 720i Hybrid has worked well for me.

Cliff

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Supporter

I bought mine used and it has served me well. I just checked out Amazon and there are the CooB and CKG scoops that look pretty reasonable. Be sure to check to see which ones have handles and which ones are scoops only. Good luck and happy hunting!

Old 06-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Donít buy cheap and to small or you will be sorry
I agree with the Stealth stainless steel

Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 PM

I ordered the Xtreme scoop, but then covid hit and all my plans fell apart. That said, it is built like a tank. Some complain itís a rip-off of other designs, but BASF has been doing that forever. If/when I get to use it, I have no doubt it will be up to the task. They even have a titanium model, but I canít envision myself in an airplane any time soon, if ever again.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

I'm not sure what brand my scoop is. I didn't buy it from the manufacturer. I've been really impressed with it so far! Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know what model it is.
Attached Images

IH: 23, Buff/V/Shield: 38, Gold: 7

Old 06-16-2020, 11:52 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I've made my decision -- Extreme Scoops "Sand Shredder V2". It's made in USA, 316 S.S., LASER cut, Carbon-Fiber handles, sturdy construction and it gets good reviews on the InterWeb. This was not the cheapest option. Truthfully, none of the top of the line choices were inexpensive. I believe in buying once, crying once. Pretty sure this will outlast me. If, I change my mind, I'll revise my thread. But, at this point, this is my decision.

b/r

RB

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Elite Member

This is what I have and absolutely love it. It's the titanium one but identical otherwise.

Originally Posted by RocketBoy View post
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I've made my decision -- Extreme Scoops "Sand Shredder V2". It's made in USA, 316 S.S., LASER cut, Carbon-Fiber handles, sturdy construction and it gets good reviews on the InterWeb. This was not the cheapest option. Truthfully, none of the top of the line choices were inexpensive. I believe in buying once, crying once. Pretty sure this will outlast me. If, I change my mind, I'll revise my thread. But, at this point, this is my decision.

b/r

RB

Old 06-17-2020, 08:09 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
I'm not sure what brand my scoop is. I didn't buy it from the manufacturer. I've been really impressed with it so far! Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know what model it is.
Looks like a stealth to me, I'm still on the fence on which scoop to purchase. Not sure I want to drop 2-300 clams on a scoop I'll only use a handful of times a year. But I dont want to buy cheap and regret it either, like my past 2 scoops (deteknix scoopal). So I'll wait it out until a nice used one shows up and try to go that route. Keep us posted on your extreme scoop!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1738 Half Reale☆

Old 06-17-2020, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Looks like a stealth to me, I'm still on the fence on which scoop to purchase. Not sure I want to drop 2-300 clams on a scoop I'll only use a handful of times a year. But I dont want to buy cheap and regret it either, like my past 2 scoops (deteknix scoopal). So I'll wait it out until a nice used one shows up and try to go that route. Keep us posted on your extreme scoop!
Just remember, if it comes up used there is a reason. Unless that reason is getting out of the hobby maybe it didn't work so well. Buying quality equipment is usually a good investment.

Cliff

Old 06-17-2020, 10:34 AM

I always justify (rationalize) these types of expenditures by telling myself I don't smoke or drink anymore. LOL! "Buy once, cry once." is more appropriate. As a young man I'd end up buying two or more of something because it was cheaper, only to end up buying the quality item anyway. Also, there's a certain unquantifiable feeling of pride in owning a good tool. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

RB

Last edited by RocketBoy; 06-19-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:33 PM

stealth....extreme......stavr

Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 PM

It's a done deal! I had to wait for it to get out of welding before I could buy it. No kidding. I originally went to the website and as I tried to check out, I got the message 'out of stock'. I had spoken to John the night before, but didn't commit because I was waiting for a check to arrive. The check arrived in the mail, so I figured I'd go ahead and order it. When I spoke to John, he told me he'd have one ready tonight. He called and we sealed the deal. Every Sand Scoop they make is sold immediately after completion. From Xtreme Scoops viewpoint, it's a good problem to have. I guess what I'm saying is, contact Steve if you run into the same issue I did. He's a great guy to deal with.

b/r

RB

Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 PM

The Xtreme Sand Shredder V2 arrived this morning. The welding looks clean with full penetration. Overall finish could have been a little better, but not bad. The V2 design inludes the finer mesh in the rear of the scoop and the standard hexagonal openings on the rest of the scoop. It arrived with the 46" Carbon-Fiber (C-F) shaft and the MOTUS T-Grip handle. The C-F handle has an interesting texture over its entire length, it should provide additional purchase when the shaft is wet. This is my first Sand Scoop, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. But overall, I'm pleased. It's a little heavy, but certainly managible. Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

b/r

RB

Last edited by RocketBoy; 06-22-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 PM

I got a package in the mail today. Thinking it was some neck gaiters I'd ordered, imagine my surprise when I opened the package and it was an Extreme Scoops 'Finds' pouch and anothet MOTUS T-Handle! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I emailed John immediately and thanked him.

b/r

RB