Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 06-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Supporter

Default Minlab Profind 35 vs Garrett Carrot

My son and I where out hunting and for some reason we compared trying to locate a target still in the hole. I was using my Minelab Profind35 and he was using his Garrett Carrot.

His carrot sounded off on the target and mine did not.

I chalked it up to maybe my low batteries. Although some has said low batteries on the Profind 35. But I was not so sure. So I did a bench test comparing Profind 35 with lower batteries and full batteries and then comparing the Profind35 with the Carrot both using full batteries.

As you can see from this chart the Carrot won. But that does not cause me to want to switch back to a Carrot because I like the Profind35's plus and minus keys to instantly increase or decrease sensitivity instead of the Carrot's system of cycling completely through the cycle each time to bump up or down one notch of sensitivity. Also I like the profind's abilitiy to signal ferrous and non-ferrous by a steady tone for ferrous and pulsating tone for iron.

So in my opinion not an earth shaking difference, but a difference in depth just the same.

It is more important to me to be able to quickly decrease the pinpointer's sensitivity quickly to narrow in on the target in the hole or sidewall.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Supporter

I always just detune the Carrot by placing it closer to the target, then doing a quick off/on. Lets you zero right in on it. Also helps eliminate falsing in hot ground if you hold the pinpointer to the dirt before turning it on.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 PM

I am an unabashed ML fanboy but when i did a side by side with the Carrot, I sold the ML. Fine PPer and you wont go wrong with it, but the Carrot was better imo.
(and i decrease sens like Rattlehead does- quite often when i am digging small holes in nice lawns)

1 members found this post helpful.