Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2020, 04:22 PM
MKW's Avatar
MKW MKW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 62
Default I did it...

and it wasn't all that bad. I have been eyeballing this lot near my house that sits on a corner and has HUGE old Live Oak trees and telling myself that if I ever see anyone there that I will make myself ask for permission to detect it. Well, today I ride by and there's a guy mowing the grass, so I stop and actually had the nerve to ask him. He said yes, so I have my first permission from somebody that I didn't already know. Maybe the next permission will be easier to ask for.
Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 06-10-2020, 05:07 PM
El Cheapo El Cheapo is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 122
Default

First one is the hardest - good hunting!
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 06-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12,019
Default

We expect to see some gold coin show & tells now. Get busy !
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 06-11-2020, 02:11 PM
MKW's Avatar
MKW MKW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 62
Default

Well, the new permission site isn't that exciting, but there are lots of targets to dig. The stuff is just not all that old, but it is old enough that it may produce some silver because, today, I found Lincolns from 1961 and 1965 and a Wheat from 1945.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 06-11-2020, 06:12 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by MKW View post
Well, the new permission site isn't that exciting, but there are lots of targets to dig. The stuff is just not all that old, but it is old enough that it may produce some silver because, today, I found Lincolns from 1961 and 1965 and a Wheat from 1945.

Congrats!

Keep at it!

If you ever encounter a permission where the topic of splitting finds comes up, and you agree to it, please show some honesty and integrity and stick by the deal you willingly made...

Beware, there are forum members here who will encourage you to lie, cheat and steal, and report you to the admins when you call them on it....

Good luck, happy hunting and now that you've broken the ice, asking for permission should be easier.

__________________
Simplex/AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 06-11-2020, 07:59 PM
MKW's Avatar
MKW MKW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Congrats!

Keep at it!

If you ever encounter a permission where the topic of splitting finds comes up, and you agree to it, please show some honesty and integrity and stick by the deal you willingly made...

Beware, there are forum members here who will encourage you to lie, cheat and steal, and report you to the admins when you call them on it....

Good luck, happy hunting and now that you've broken the ice, asking for permission should be easier.
Thanks. I will not sacrifice my integrity for some coins, relics, and can slaw. If I make a deal, any deal, I will honor it, always.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 06-11-2020, 11:02 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,768
Smile

Way to go, securing your first permission from a stranger! You're right, where there are wheat pennies, there may be silver; and the wheat cent itself is a good find.

Last summer, my brother Wolf-Dog & I also acquired our first permission (that is, first from someone we hadn't previously known). We've detected there only once so far, and have yet to uncover anything great, but you never know!

P.S. Regarding your avatar: thank you for your service!

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $1.43
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 06-13-2020, 12:58 AM
Donut Donut is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Coloma, SW Michigan, Equinox 800
Posts: 170
Default

I did the same thing today here in Michigan.
Old registered centennial home. All buildings still in good condition and out house is still there and hand hued logs in barn and bark still on them. Found out they had a special separate building to sell milk with special delivery threw drive way for horse and buggy so they didnít have to turn around and itís big and never been detected. Family owned and it goes back to mid 1800ís. It will take years to detect because there are so many good looking spots. Iím excited to say the least.
Doug

__________________
Coloma, SW Michigan
Equinox 800

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 06-13-2020, 07:08 AM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by MKW View post
Thanks. I will not sacrifice my integrity for some coins, relics, and can slaw. If I make a deal, any deal, I will honor it, always.
Glad to hear that!

Honesty and integrity are unimportant to too many today.

People with your attitude can help repair the damage caused by the liars, cheaters and thieves who also share the hobby.

Hope the permission gives up some great finds!

__________________
Simplex/AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 06-14-2020, 07:42 AM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,964
Default

Originally Posted by MKW View post
Thanks. I will not sacrifice my integrity for some coins, relics, and can slaw. If I make a deal, any deal, I will honor it, always.
I always make a fair deal with my permissions. Anything personal from their family the permission keeps. Anything over $100 value we split when I sell it or if they choose to buy me out of my half. I show them everything I dig.

For me it is a hobby and the hunt is the important part. My attitude is that without the permission there would be no hunt and they could always make a deal with another detectorists. Being fair with a permission has gotten me other neighbors or friends.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 PM
Bill_Ace_350's Avatar
Bill_Ace_350 Bill_Ace_350 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,220
Default

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
I always make a fair deal with my permissions. Anything personal from their family the permission keeps. Anything over $100 value we split when I sell it or if they choose to buy me out of my half. I show them everything I dig.

For me it is a hobby and the hunt is the important part. My attitude is that without the permission there would be no hunt and they could always make a deal with another detectorists. Being fair with a permission has gotten me other neighbors or friends.
I agree 100%.

I show everything also, not just junk.

Enjoy the exhilaration of a cool find. Those moments are permanently etched into my memory, just like every buck I've ever shot.

If they get a find I really like due to an agreement, but I always have the memory and can always take a picture.

__________________
Simplex/AT Pro/Equinox 600/ACE 350/1864 Nova Scotia One Cent Piece/1864 Indian Head, 1906 Indian Head/9 Wheat/Silver Coins: 1/Silver or Gold Jewelry: 2

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.