Paying For Permission

Sounds like a maybe? :laughing:

You sound like some of my past girlfriends wanting to marry me.

Offering money may be an option when you have an owner wanting your finds. I can see it being a fair deal for a land owner for detecting permission or for hunting and fishing permission but there has to be a very promising chance of success when there's millions of places to detect for free.

I wouldn’t ever do that . I’ve relayed in past posts why , in my opinion, it’s an awful idea. If someone tells me that I say thanks and leave.

A much, much better approach than to agree to the terms and then lie, by hiding good finds in a secret pocket, showing only junk...

There are actually members of this forum who gleefully and openly promote such behavior....

You point it out and YOUR posts get deleted, and you get scolded, not the ones advocating lying and cheating.

True story.

I don't see that the offer of cash would affect the response of the property owner. They have more than likely made up their mind before you get halfway through the routine. With that said, I wouldn't offer pay to play unless I was sure the Ark of the Covenant was buried there!

I would never offer cash. Because now we're getting into legal contract territory.

Think about it. What's the purpose of paying the person to hunt their property? It's to give them something of value in return for your ability to hunt (and presumably keep what you find). In other words, to create an agreement of some kind, whether legal agreement or a gentleman's agreement.

What if you find something they want, even after you paid them the fee? You gonna give it back to them? If so, then why did you pay the fee?

You gonna keep it? Really? You're gonna go to war over something you found during the course of your hobby? You say yes. Then in that case, be prepared for the landowner to argue that you didn't offer them a fair price for permission to hunt, you too advantage of them, you knew what was there the whole time and you low-balled them, etc.

The only time I can see paying a fee to hunt as working out is if you agree to hand over all your finds and give them all back to the landowner if they want it. But in that case, I don't think most people would agree to go metal detecting on other people's property, especially after paying to do it.

You don't get paid by the trash collector so they can have the privilege of taking your trash away.

I would never offer cash. Because now we're getting into legal contract territory.

Think about it. What's the purpose of paying the person to hunt their property? It's to give them something of value in return for your ability to hunt (and presumably keep what you find). In other words, to create an agreement of some kind, whether legal agreement or a gentleman's agreement.

What if you find something they want, even after you paid them the fee? You gonna give it back to them? If so, then why did you pay the fee?

You gonna keep it? Really? You're gonna go to war over something you found during the course of your hobby? You say yes. Then in that case, be prepared for the landowner to argue that you didn't offer them a fair price for permission to hunt, you too advantage of them, you knew what was there the whole time and you low-balled them, etc.

The only time I can see paying a fee to hunt as working out is if you agree to hand over all your finds and give them all back to the landowner if they want it. But in that case, I don't think most people would agree to go metal detecting on other people's property, especially after paying to do it.

You don't get paid by the trash collector so they can have the privilege of taking your trash away.

All good questions.

Easily handled though.

Agree to whatever the property owner says, knowing full well you will show them only junk and put the good stuff in your secret pocket!!!!.

Just kidding. I don't advocate lying and stealing.

However, some on this forum have no problem with it.

I wouldn’t pay. There’s enough places to hunt without having to pay. Just my 2 cents.

All good questions.

Easily handled though.

Agree to whatever the property owner says, knowing full well you will show them only junk and put the good stuff in your secret pocket!!!!.

Just kidding. I don't advocate lying and stealing.

However, some on this forum have no problem with it.

That's a real shame...:no:

Back
Top Bottom