Test Videos – Proposed Rule Change

Rudy

Admin
We have been watching and listening to both sides of the test videos saga, with regards to the quantity and usefulness of many of the metal detector test videos being posted.

One of the problems is that, to paraphrase what Forrest Gump said, "Videos are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."
Nothing is more disappointing than finding you wasted your time watching a video that did not meet your expectations whatever they are.

Trying to balance both sides, we've come up with the following proposed rule change for posting metal detecting test videos.

To post the video, the poster will need to provide the following information along with the video. If this information is not provided, or does not accurately reflect the video, the post will be deleted.

We feel that by accurately providing this information, the reader will be able to decide whether the video is worth watching or not.

Herewith is the information that will need to be provided with the video:

Purpose of video

• What is the purpose of this video?.
  • Why is it important for others to know this?
  • Test Conditions, are they realistic or contrived?

Equipment

• Detector model
  • Coil used
  • Firmware revision level (if it is related to a rev. level).
  • Pertinent Settings

Results Obtained

• Is the result unique to the equipment, or would it apply to other models?

Conclusions

• What important conclusions can be drawn from this test?

Let us know what you think of this proposal, either by your comments, or giving this post a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Would seem to make sense to have all the links posted in the posters main post. You have a post with 100,000 views and 20,000 posts and 8,000 are links from a person adding to bring a post back up for click bait nobodies going to be looking anyways. If they don't like the rules they can start their own forum and ruin their own forum IMO.

Easier to just put a youtube link at the bottom of your own page if someone wants a looksie or not. Then open your youtube channel up to comments and take your beatings there.

Forgot to add you aren't allowed on here to bump your own post selling something. But someone can bump their own post with links to keep it in the main feed three times a day with nobody commenting. Doesn't make sense either.

Last edited:
"If a member legitimately explains how the video is misleading newbies, the video post will be deleted".

:agree:

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 565
I like this proposed rule because:

1. It makes it harder to link-spam
2. It gives context to the video. There are a lot of test videos where I have no real idea what's being shown or tested until I watch the entire video. And most of the time, I regret watching the video. Or, I have to watch the video twice because the first time through, I didn't know what I was looking for or watching.

This might even be easier for the Youtube creators/testers in that they don't have to waste time narrating the video if they properly set it up with information in the video description (on YouTube) and in the post (here on this forum).

Looks good to me, only thing I might add is maybe who did the video. I will watch the test video's of the gigmaster and a few others, than some I disregard them as not being trust worthy...:sneaking:

We have been watching and listening to both sides of the test videos saga, with regards to the quantity and usefulness of many of the metal detector test videos being posted.

How about no test videos at all! I do not need someone to test a detector for me and tell what settings to use.

I did not have someone "test" my wife and tell me what settings to use before I made the decision to marry her.

If someone would like to see test videos all they have to do is go on youtube and search for them. This forum has become the middle man for these test videos. I never asked for them to be posted here. I think head to head comparisons of detectors are worthless.

I am on a detecting trip and I am hitting the "salt water" beaches of Tennessee this weekend! Do you have any tips or setting for the Deus 2 that could help me out..............:shock:

Can't hurt. Roll it out, see where it needs adjusting, adjust as needed.

I don't read the test threads, or watch the test videos. So in that respect, this makes no difference to me. It's the spillover, from the testing threads, into every other thread, that sucks, to me.

If you can curb that, why wouldn't you?

- Dave

Glad this is done

My opinion , A one machine review , not---- 1 - VS---- another , than the battles don't start- on which machine is better , or worse . The other major thing is promotion of sales , or for freebees / pushing sales of a machine, I have seen this go on for months , several long time member's hinted, they didn't like what was going on:( , I am glad Administration took action before we lost interest in Friendly , Thanks , leave the sales to the sponsors , also the manufacturer's can put out there own test video's- to promote sales with specials , me personally would like to see packages available with everything including all the coils with stems & hardware , at a discounted price tag , as years go by- members have spent a fortunes on extras , last NEW MACHINES entering into the market, and pre -order machines- all can stay on ONE FORUM -- ALL ABOUT DETECTORS--- this way the forum remains peaceful , not out of control causing Kaos :agreed::fmdfwelcome: :thumbsup: PS- Colonial 78 post has a point , administration can test the current- new rules , if futher action to resolve issues- is needed , than I could agree with him also, along with what ever the administration does to solve the problem !

Last edited:
You all know where I stand. Maybe all videos should be banned. This is a print forum. You can write about the video in question with no links. Describe it however you want. It would be easier to mod. If you say "no test videos or just 1" they will then say it's not a test video. It's a metal detecting video.......1 warning only. Send that warning with the rules. Next time it's a total BAN. Very simple , no BS.

People that want to watch videos know where to go. YouTube is owned by Google and has a very nice search feature. Remaining the "friendly" forum is important to me. The constant spiraling downward of every thread does need to stop for the longevity of the forum itself. I have gone on record with my posting stating that I never watch any testing videos. My opinion on them is irrelevant. The constant bombardment of threads is not irrelevant. The traditional ways like asking a poster to stop didn't work. So here we are. The inconvenience of new rules for all of us to deal with the actions and I'll just call it awkwardness of a few. Let the hammer fall. It will need adjusting. But in the end I have a feeling it will come down to the booting of one.

I have been going back and forth about posting on this thread but I detect a lot during winter months...

If I was to watch a test video all I need to see is depth tests from a test garden and testing targets in the dirt or sand.... its ridiculous watching video's made using Styrofoam its not realistic and some of the most obscure scenarios.. like the steel wool... for me those video's are worthless...

I don't want to see what we saw here... a member asks a question of the OPer and he replies with another video that does not fly with me... respond by typing an answer...

I would like to see a limit on the number of video's allowed per day, per week...

This forum was started to help the new member this is why Carol and Vlad started the forum...

We have spoken with them and we will do what we need to to get this right...

So basically what I am seeing is members here do not have the IQ or will power to not click a link for a video they did not want to see in the first place? I didn't realize anyone was forced to watch any videos here? My grandson is smart enough to decide whether he wants to watch something or not and he is 9.

I have clicked a lot of threads here and never has a video popped up and started playing, at least for me they have not. Videos do not automatically play as far as I know. But I could be wrong?

The problem here is people, and lack of will power or intelligence.

I am sorry for being so blunt but the truth hurts sometimes.

So basically what I am seeing is members here do not have the IQ or will power to not click a link for a video they did not want to see in the first place? I didn't realize anyone was forced to watch any videos here? My grandson is smart enough to decide whether he wants to watch something or not and he is 9.

I have clicked a lot of threads here and never has a video popped up and started playing, at least for me they have not. Videos do not automatically play as far as I know. But I could be wrong?

Attachments

• points up.jpg
    points up.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 427

Your opinion is noted... We are going to change things... Friendly Forum is not a free for all... posting as many video's that were posted is like spamming the forum... the only way they will be able to continue is follow the rules we are going to enforce... if they don't like it Friendly isn't the only forum out there.... We will have limits.... We are in communication with the owners and we will right this issue...

How about if you have a Youtube account you can't post vids in the forum?

I think this would be the best way to keep issues from coming up. It would keep members from spamming their own video links, and if someone is posting a video link that means you know they watched it and found it useful. Instead of just "I made you all mad now click my video link to see my response and to give me views."

Back
Top Bottom