Help ID this cartridge case!

gseuser

Elite Member
Hey everyone I found this a few days ago and I measured a bunch of stuff. I have no idea if this even is a cartridge case but im 90% sure it is. I would love to know what kind!

Attachments

• IMG_5522.JPG
    IMG_5522.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_5519.JPG
    IMG_5519.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 421
2x on lipstick tube. I don't see a spot for a primer, and I don't remember any centerfire that worked like a rimfire. I'm not an expert on ammunition, so I could be wrong (it's been known to happen).

-- Tom

I don't think it is a lipstick case. If you look towards the base you see that little ring. It's on that 45-70 casing too.

It is all copper. However, when I looked up the dimensions I don't think it is a 52-70.

Double check the measurements you looked up. There were several different lengths for the Sharps 52-70 and some of it depended on when the 50-70's were re-conditioned/modified. I've seen 3 or 4 lengths for the same round, so it's all a Google guess right now.

The copper casings were used initially and brass came later.

2x on lipstick tube. I don't see a spot for a primer, and I don't remember any centerfire that worked like a rimfire. I'm not an expert on ammunition, so I could be wrong (it's been known to happen).

-- Tom

It is a black powder casing. Here is an end view of the casing pictured above. See no primer. Casings I found from the 1880's had primers.
picture.php

This is interesting.
I did some searches on Sharps 52-70 and found info on the origins of cartridges.

There were some very early ones that were center fire and not primer. The priming charge was inside the case.
Also found info about various length cartridges for early Sharps rifles, mainly one converted from using paper cartridge to using metal cartridge. Some were just over 1 1/2 inch long.

In all the pictures of very early cartridges none had that ring just above the rim/head. Guessing maybe this ring was created upon firing the cartridge were it took the shape of the chamber.

Still unsure but has good possibility of being a very early cartridge.

I sent the pics to a friend of mine that's spent most of his life researching and studying Civil War artifacts. His opinion is that this is a Benet internally primed case, which the US Army/Cavalry used in the 1870s. Many liked it were recovered at little bighorn. Here are a couple of pages from one of his reference books. The diagram depicts a Benet type primed cartridge. The cartridges were in a fairly significant transition at the time and many existing weapons were modified to keep up with technology. There were also a number of various lengths. The crimps on the bottom of the case are to secure the internal primer and not from firing. However, the copper casings were soft and difficult to remove from singly shot breach loaders. Later they used brass that better stood up to the pressures and made it easier to extract and the crimps went away on later rounds.

...so I am told.

album.php

album.php

benet_primed.gif

Attachments

• 20180813_213030.jpg
    20180813_213030.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 20180813_213048.jpg
    20180813_213048.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 299
What a great mystery solved! Dang! none of us woulda known anything about this obscure 'internal primer' style cartridge if you had not have found one!
Good Job Team Friendly! Props to RBachman for the extra point effort!!:bowdown:

Wow, that is a very old casing.
Good detective work finding info on this obscure case.

I did read about the internal primer but didn't see any drawings. That cut away drawing is exactly what we needed and explains the crimp ring near the base.

Great historical find.

Back
Top Bottom