1754 Farm permission UPDATED

stetam

Elite Member
Got permission to detect a 1754 farm and I had high hopes. Been there three times so far and really nothing to speak of. Clad, loads of headstamps and 1950's garbage in the yard. It seems it had a lot of fill at some time. Last two times out I focused on the cut and turned cornfield. I was expecting to get some flat buttons and maybe some colonial copper but nada. This morning walked the area that used to contain an apple orchard. First target dug was a 35 Buffalo then nothing but headstamps and trash for the next hour. Finally got a nice high signal and dug a Merc and 5 minutes later dug another Merc and a dateless Buffalo. Also a flattened round ball, my first minie ball, a wheatie that was shot with a .22, a copper lily pin, a copper ring and other expected artifacts. Still waiting on the colonial stuff.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Keep at it. There's got to be something around there. Time to get the old maps and look for buildings.

Steve, congrats on the pair of of mercs and getting the permission! The ground looks nice an level and not too bumpy hopefully it will have some more of the good stuff in the area of where you founds those dimes and buffs. John

I hunted a 1700's farm house, with high hopes. Oldest thing we found was like a 1915 wheatie. But, it didnt have the acreage I see in your photo and it was only for a few hours. I would not give up hope at all. Theres so much land there, you have plenty of chance of stumbling across something, even if it has been pounded by others. If that is the case and you continue to have difficulty finding really old finds, then look at all the "most likely" spots - and skip them! Because others have probably had that same thought and hunted them already. Try a session or two by being counterintuitive and hunt the spots that DON'T first come to mind. Hunt some spots no one else has because they seem low to medium probability and see what comes up. Good luck!

Being in PA and that old I'm wondering if it is or was Amish. If so, they didn't lose buttons, and weren't very likely to be carrying coins. Just a thought....

Congrats on the Mercs, Buffs and all the rest Steve. The place sounds promising. Won't be long you'll be finding coppers and Spanish silvers. Good luck. Mark

Keep at it. There's got to be something around there. Time to get the old maps and look for buildings.

You know it Erik

Steve, congrats on the pair of of mercs and getting the permission! The ground looks nice an level and not too bumpy hopefully it will have some more of the good stuff in the area of where you founds those dimes and buffs. John

Thanks John. Got to hit it over and over.

I hunted a 1700's farm house, with high hopes. Oldest thing we found was like a 1915 wheatie. But, it didnt have the acreage I see in your photo and it was only for a few hours. I would not give up hope at all. Theres so much land there, you have plenty of chance of stumbling across something, even if it has been pounded by others. If that is the case and you continue to have difficulty finding really old finds, then look at all the "most likely" spots - and skip them! Because others have probably had that same thought and hunted them already. Try a session or two by being counterintuitive and hunt the spots that DON'T first come to mind. Hunt some spots no one else has because they seem low to medium probability and see what comes up. Good luck!

Good advice. Thanks!

Being in PA and that old I'm wondering if it is or was Amish. If so, they didn't lose buttons, and weren't very likely to be carrying coins. Just a thought....

Amish had/have buttons, just not zippers. And they had money, probably more than normal folks.

Congrats on the Mercs, Buffs and all the rest Steve. The place sounds promising. Won't be long you'll be finding coppers and Spanish silvers. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark. Went back this morning and was rewarded a KG II.:) The property owner told me his dad had said one time he buried a can of money under one of the smokehouse trees. Now most of the trees are gone and it was probably paper money. But it sure sounds like a quest for me!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
You know it Erik

Thanks John. Got to hit it over and over.

Good advice. Thanks!

Amish had/have buttons, just not zippers. And they had money, probably more than normal folks.

Thanks Mark. See below for my morning find. :)

Steve

Nice work!

If you find any Large cents or colonial coppers there : We don't want to know about it. Thank you ! :laughing: :sissyfight:

Congrats on the KGII! Try the field edges close to the house. 99% of all my permissions on older farms have had extensive filling around the old farmhouse. This regardless of the current owners saying no fill has been put there. Usually it was done before them being born. My theory most of this filling was done post WWII with the appearance of hydraulics and front end loaders on tractors making it easy to get material from the field to put around the farmhouse. Keep poking around there. I'm sure more old stuff will pop up.

Nice finds. The "A" looks similar to Civil War hat letters, lets see the back.

Back
Top Bottom