A Bicentennial Half And A Piece Of Sterling

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I hunted a soccer field that is no longer in use due to a new one developed right across the street from it. I spent 3 hours hunting and came up with 48
coins worth $7.45 which included a 1976 Clad Bicentennial Half Dollar right on the surface, my first half dollar of 2020. Additionally, I dug a 4.53 gram sterling silver religious medallion.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 333
I bet the half is a lost "flip coin" from the soccer games. Well done!

Thank you.....I doubt that it was used for the coin flip because the soccer field is no longer in use and the half was a fresh drop. If it had been a few inches down, then I'd say it was a pretty good bet that it was a coin flip that was dropped. Possibly there are other activities that take place on this field...cake sales, flea markets or something like that.....or even some kids playing.

Congrats on the Half and a respectable clad haul D4C. Also on the sweet St. Andrew sterling medal. He was the first apostle. I don't dig many halfs but did dig a 79 Kennedy yesterday. Suffice to say it looks nothing like yours. lol. Good luck. Mark

Nice sterling medallion and half dollar. I always get a kick out of finding a bicentennial coin. I think because I was just the right aged kid at the bicentennial for it to seem a big deal. Found another bicentennial quarter on a hunt just yesterday.

Congrats on the Half and a respectable clad haul D4C. Also on the sweet St. Andrew sterling medal. He was the first apostle. I don't dig many halfs but did dig a 79 Kennedy yesterday. Suffice to say it looks nothing like yours. lol. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark.....I don't dig many halves either, I think the most I ever got in a hunt season was 3, many times none at all. :lol:
This half was right on the surface which is good because halves really look ugly if they've been in the ground a while.
Do you happen to know what the fish on the medallion represents?

Nice sterling medallion and half dollar. I always get a kick out of finding a bicentennial coin. I think because I was just the right aged kid at the bicentennial for it to seem a big deal. Found another bicentennial quarter on a hunt just yesterday.

Thanks JH.....I've dug quite a few of the BiCentennial quarters but this is the first half. My girlfriend dug a BiCentennial Ike Dollar a few years ago.

Thanks Mark.....I don't dig many halves either, I think the most I ever got in a hunt season was 3, many times none at all. :lol:
This half was right on the surface which is good because halves really look ugly if they've been in the ground a while.
Do you happen to know what the fish on the medallion represents?

D4C, Good evening. I believe it symbolizes fishing for the souls of his fellow man. He was a fisherman when Jesus called upon him. Again that is a very nice save. My # 1 medal would be a St. Anthony as he is the patron saint of the lost and I tend to bother him with my petty prayers when searching for silver. Good luck. Mark

D4C, Good evening. I believe it symbolizes fishing for the souls of his fellow man. He was a fisherman when Jesus called upon him. Again that is a very nice save. My # 1 medal would be a St. Anthony as he is the patron saint of the lost and I tend to bother him with my petty prayers when searching for silver. Good luck. Mark
Thanks for the info Mark........

Yep, if I'm ultimately going to get to 50 cents, I'd rather do it all at once than 50 different times:laughing: Also, absolutely love when the religious stuff comes out all shiny and silver.

love the pendant and I completely love hunting untouched soccer fields. I hit the poor signals too, there is always small jewelry to find. They take it off, set it on the blanket, fling the blanket to get the dirty off, WHAM IT"S GONE. At this point it becomes MINE!!!!!!

love the pendant and I completely love hunting untouched soccer fields. I hit the poor signals too, there is always small jewelry to find. They take it off, set it on the blanket, fling the blanket to get the dirty off, WHAM IT"S GONE. At this point it becomes MINE!!!!!!

I'm with you, I've done very well at soccer fields.

Back
Top Bottom