Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 06-20-2022, 11:51 AM

Default Recovered wedding ring question

Whenever finding a ring with a date engraving, I will go to great lengths to research marriage records in the state where I found it. BUT !!
I don't not proceed to check other states in the U.S. because of the huge amount of time it takes just for a single state. I would like to know to what extent do you do to research lost rings that you find.

And what methods do you use as far as data bases that can assist you in this effort? is there any kind of a national registry that jewelers use?

Old 06-20-2022, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kamogawa View post
Whenever finding a ring with a date engraving, I will go to great lengths to research marriage records in the state where I found it. BUT !!
I don't not proceed to check other states in the U.S. because of the huge amount of time it takes just for a single state. I would like to know to what extent do you do to research lost rings that you find.

And what methods do you use as far as data bases that can assist you in this effort? is there any kind of a national registry that jewelers use?

If you have people who vacation in your state how would you find an owner unless it was engraved with a full name... I had that in a school ring I returned... I don't go out of my way to return stuff...

Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers: 1112

Old 06-20-2022, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
If you have people who vacation in your state how would you find an owner unless it was engraved with a full name... I had that in a school ring I returned... I don't go out of my way to return stuff...
In the case of newer rings with wedding dates and initials, I was never been able to track the owner down.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

I was successful in one class ring return where her name was etched in the ring,one where there was never a find and one currently posted on the school's alumni page where it will be for a year. If no hits then I'll put it in the pile.

:: 279 wheats,8 IH ,178 silver,28 gold :: 2022 $105.87 :: 9 wheats,3 silvers,0 gold :: Personal best finds 1827 Italian States Lire, 1866 Shield nickel, 1887 Seated dime.