Garrett GTI 2500

gwadam1

Anyone have any experience with the GTI 2500? What type of targets is it best used for? Is the graphic display accurate? Any problems with audio or difficult to see targets? Please, actual experiences only.

It's been around since 2000, really nothing much has been changed except a few add'l coils. Solid performer, graphic display does work on US coins with the Imaging coil. Very deep in all metal mode, average depth in disc mode. Bad points--heavy, on mine the pinpoint button would occasionally stick. Its overpriced, main selling point these days is that it can be used with the Multiplier for industrial purposes. The AT Pro was to be the replacement. If you can find one cheap, try one.

The Ace 250 replaced the 2500 a long time ago:

It's easy to see where they got the idea for the 250. The 2500 has all of its features plus a lot more. My 2500 is an older model that talks to you. It may be heavy but it balances out and I never notice the weight. I have newer detectors but the 2500 is my favorite. My last hunt with it I found this silver/14k ring.
S&G 2.JPG

It's easy to see where they got the idea for the 250. The 2500 has all of its features plus a lot more. My 2500 is an older model that talks to you. It may be heavy but it balances out and I never notice the weight. I have newer detectors but the 2500 is my favorite. My last hunt with it I found this silver/14k ring.
View attachment 431067

That's what I had the older model back in 2003 after owning the GTi1500 and found lots with the 1500. I really enjoyed the Gti2500 when I had it while living in NY. The only reason I sold it was the fact I moved to Kennesaw, Ga and it just couldn't handle the red clay dirt. That answered my question why no one was using a Garrett there back then and no dealers were handling the Garrett line except Hobby Town.

Check out the 2001 Garrett Catalog https://static.secure.website/wscfus/6268851/uploads/GT2001catalog.pdf

The GTI 2500 is a great machine. The imaging feature, when used properly allows you to leave a lot of large junk targets in the ground. The true all metal mode is DEEP, especially when using the 12.5 imaging coil. There are only 2 coils which will allow imaging.....8.5" coil and 12.5" coil. There are other coils available, but they won't image.

The GTI 2500 is the only metal detector currently in the Garrett line which will work with the Treasure Eye, a double coil setup which will allow you to find targets in feet, rather then inches. It will not be useful for coin sized objects, but has been successfully used for relics and caches.

It features a surface blanking feature, whereas you can eliminate all the surface targets and only focus on the deeper coin sized objects. My GTI 2500 has paid for itself in both coins and silver. It may be an old design, but it is still used by many, and still being purchased by many.

It is nicely balanced, and the battery pack can be hooked to your belt should you want to lighten it more. Below is a link to it's features and a pick of the treasure eye.

They don't come up for sale very often, and still maintain their value. The first run on GTI 2500 had an audio (female) voice giving you the depth, size and probable target. I didn't use it very often, as it was too chatty! There's reasons why I go detecting.:laughing:

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_gti2500_key_features_en.aspx

Attachments

• 1611800_eagleeye_searchcoil_sm.jpg
    1611800_eagleeye_searchcoil_sm.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 579
That's what I had the older model back in 2003 after owning the GTi1500 and found lots with the 1500. I really enjoyed the Gti2500 when I had it while living in NY. The only reason I sold it was the fact I moved to Kennesaw, Ga and it just couldn't handle the red clay dirt. That answered my question why no one was using a Garrett there back then and no dealers were handling the Garrett line except Hobby Town.

Check out the 2001 Garrett Catalog https://static.secure.website/wscfus/6268851/uploads/GT2001catalog.pdf

Thanks for that catalog link. That issue brings back a lot of memories.

Below is how I used to keep those batteries warm on cold winter days.

Attachments

• warmtwo2.jpg
    warmtwo2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 631
I've seen them go on sale every once in a while on eBay. Never pulled the trigger though since I don't have that much spare change for another detector :laughing:. Would be interesting to learn more about it.

Is it me or are there a disproportionately large number of them used on the history reality shows for some reason? Always wondered why or is it just coincidence.

Is it me or are there a disproportionately large number of them used on the history reality shows for some reason? Always wondered why or is it just coincidence.

Sometimes they use this model on the reality shows because it works with the double coil equipment that searches deeper for large items.

That makes sense. You'd think they'd use something more modern and lighter when they're running a conventional coil though. Maybe they're just used to them. Must be a pretty good machine still. I've played with my grandson's GTI 1500 and it seems to work just fine.

It's been around since 2000, really nothing much has been changed except a few add'l coils. Solid performer, graphic display does work on US coins with the Imaging coil. Very deep in all metal mode, average depth in disc mode. Bad points--heavy, on mine the pinpoint button would occasionally stick. Its overpriced, main selling point these days is that it can be used with the Multiplier for industrial purposes. The AT Pro was to be the replacement. If you can find one cheap, try one.

Thank you Sven. Will give one a try. Do you prefer the Pro over the Max?

Thank you everyone for your input and insights. I have been very interested in the machine as my hearing is not very good so tones can be a problem for me. The graphics being accurate are what I am most interested in. Are there any other detectors that have accurate graphic displays that don't rely so much on sound?

The GTI 2500 is a great machine. The imaging feature, when used properly allows you to leave a lot of large junk targets in the ground. The true all metal mode is DEEP, especially when using the 12.5 imaging coil. There are only 2 coils which will allow imaging.....8.5" coil and 12.5" coil. There are other coils available, but they won't image.

The GTI 2500 is the only metal detector currently in the Garrett line which will work with the Treasure Eye, a double coil setup which will allow you to find targets in feet, rather then inches. It will not be useful for coin sized objects, but has been successfully used for relics and caches.

It features a surface blanking feature, whereas you can eliminate all the surface targets and only focus on the deeper coin sized objects. My GTI 2500 has paid for itself in both coins and silver. It may be an old design, but it is still used by many, and still being purchased by many.

It is nicely balanced, and the battery pack can be hooked to your belt should you want to lighten it more. Below is a link to it's features and a pick of the treasure eye.

They don't come up for sale very often, and still maintain their value. The first run on GTI 2500 had an audio (female) voice giving you the depth, size and probable target. I didn't use it very often, as it was too chatty! There's reasons why I go detecting.:laughing:

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_gti2500_key_features_en.aspx

John do you still have that detector ? Also, did you ever use the Treasure Eye ? If so, what did you find with it ?

I still have the GTI 2500 and plan to use it during the next few weeks. I have never used that 2 box attachment. I just don't have the inclination to dig 3 foot holes. Now there are definitely places where there is old buried treasure of sorts, where it would really be an asset, however, using the imaging feature is what I like to use it for.

And......have a Merry Christmas for you and your loved ones.

Attachments

• global_warming.gif
    global_warming.gif
    113.8 KB · Views: 502
I have been very interested in the machine as my hearing is not very good so tones can be a problem for me.

many people don't like the Ace 250 because of the tone. On the 2500 the tone is adjustable as well as the volume control. It has everything the Ace 250 has plus a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom