• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bounty hunter jr?

L0S3R

Elite Member
My dad is getting (already got) my 3 kids a bounty hunter jr for each, they are young. 3,6 and 10. Is it a decent detector for kids? Any tips on using it so I can help them learn?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Hunter GT has a good video on his YouTube channel about that machine.

My brother and I both started off with the Bounty Hunter Jr. and have had a lot of fun with it. (Ours is the older model with the meter; I'm not sure how similar it is to the newer one.) We found it to be pretty simple to use, and easy to learn. We like keeping the eliminator dial just before the 3:00 position for "coins mode" - in which we are able to discriminate a lot of the junk and receive good, solid signals on coins. Even though I've finished growing in height, I'm short enough to use it, and I do enjoy it. :grin:

I hope that you and your children will have lots of fun and make some happy memories with their new detectors!

I always say don't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's not much of a detector but neither were the detectors I gave to my grandchildren and they loved them. On the other hand a buddy gave his 7 year old a jr and he hated it. He got a ace 250 for his bday and loves it. Depends on the kid.

Never used one myself but I'm sure it would be great for kids of that age for kicking around in totters and sports fields. At least it will give them time ot see if they get interested in the hobby or it becomes a closet queen without a large investment. They are still young, plenty of time to upgrade in future. If they stay intesested in swinging a coil instead of a game controller you could aways get the a Nox or something for when they get to the ripe old teenager years. Than again, not sure if there is a detector made that is going to compete with teenage girls at that point.

3, 6, and 10, sounds like herding cats. The 3 year old will be using it as a sword to beat his older siblings, I'd leave him at home and take the others to easy digging tot-lots or sand lots. Probably wouldn't hurt if the first couple of tot-lots have been seeded a little.

My youngest uses a toysrus detector now and loves it but it only hits surface targets... they all want my bounty hunter when I upgrade to the nox in spring... they know what it’s about already and prefer the digging part

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Back
Top Bottom