Turning my clad into silver! What do you all do with your clad?

DiggingThePNW

Forum Supporter
So today I went to a coin shop for the first time to ask about a way to do a wall mount display of coins I have found so far. They gave me a few recommendations that are a little pricey but if I can’t find any other option then may pull the trigger.
Man was that place a mind f#^k not only is it just overwhelming it made me more of a coin shooter I believe either great older coins or clad.

Also made me think about hitting local beaches and buying my first sand scoop. The best part was meeting this gentleman buying 30k in silver bars and 10oz coins. Blew my mind. He also got multiple ounces of gold it was just crazy. I have seen cash on a high level before but damn was impressed. The reason I bring up beaches is this gentleman gave me and a buddy permission to hit his land and get us other areas as long as we show them what we get. I also I invited him in return to try one of my machines while out there. So tomorrow we are hitting the strips first then heading to this gentleman’s cabin on the shores of whidbey island at low tide. I will be ordering a ckg scoop as he has other San Juan island land. This is now 2 massive permissions for me within one week. I will now forever not be scared to ask or bring up this hobby in any conversation anymore.

Ok but the thread... see this is something I never really considered I have seen metal detecting nyc recommend this so maybe I had a slight leaning to do this. So far this year every time I hit whatever the oz spot price is for silver I will buy one oz coin of silver. As of this morning I was at 54.12 so bought my first one
87AB3F68-13DD-4BDB-9288-3B0963C292BA.jpeg
F6A2BC00-F4BF-4507-BC57-CF28B721C73D.jpeg

Paid 29.50 so like 2 over spot roughly. But still my first bought coin. All while buying with the clad I found. I intend to do this here on out.

What do you all do with you clad?

Oh and as for tomorrow drone is coming with. And eventually I am gonna get a GoPro 9 or whatever is the most current.

Last edited:
So today I went to a coin shop for the first time to ask about a way to do a wall mount display of coins I have found so far. They gave me a few recommendations that are a little pricey but if I can’t find any other option then may pull the trigger.
Man was that place a mind f#^k not only is it just overwhelming it made me more of a coin shooter I believe either great older coins or clad.

Also made me think about hitting local beaches and buying my first sand scoop. The best part was meeting this gentleman buying 30k in silver bars and 10oz coins. Blew my mind. He also got multiple ounces of gold it was just crazy. I have seen cash on a high level before but damn was impressed. The reason I bring up beaches is this gentleman gave me and a buddy permission to hit his land and get us other areas as long as we show them what we get. I also I invited him in return to try one of my machines while out there. So tomorrow we are hitting the strips first then heading to this gentleman’s cabin on the shores of whidbey island at low tide. I will be ordering a ckg scoop as he has other San Juan island land. This is now 2 massive permissions for me within one week. I will now forever not be scared to ask or bring up this hobby in any conversation anymore.

Ok but the thread... see this is something I never really considered I have seen metal detecting nyc recommend this so maybe I had a slight leaning to do this. So far this year every time I hit whatever the oz spot price is for silver I will buy one oz coin of silver. As of this morning I was at 54.12 so bought my first one
View attachment 485705
View attachment 485706

Paid 29.50 so like 2 over spot roughly. But still my first bought coin. All while buying with the clad I found. I intend to do this hear on out.

What do you all do with you clad?

Oh and as for tomorrow drone is coming with. And eventually I am gonna get a GoPro 9 or whatever is the most current.

When my lesche was stolen, I used my clad to pay for that. And my first detector, shovel, and generic PP also is too.

Never thought of using it to buy AG. I also may want to record my hunts. :yes:

Josh

When my lesche was stolen, I used my clad to pay for that. And my first detector, shovel, and generic PP also is too.

Never thought of using it to buy AG. I also may want to record my hunts. :yes:

Josh

I think you should josh. I want to document and track what I am finding. I intend to also log my locations found to each object via personal gps. Once I am gone I want them to end up wherever they truly belong. Or thrown away lol. I recommend investing you are young enough and have the intelligence to acquire extreme financial security if started early enough.

I think you should josh. I want to document and track what I am finding. I intend to also log my locations found to each object via personal gps. Once I am gone I want them to end up wherever they truly belong. Or thrown away lol. I recommend investing you are young enough and have the intelligence to acquire extreme financial security if started early enough.

I do invest... but not in Ag, stocks. Caught on early. ;)

Recording... I might try that, actually.

Josh

You'll buy more silver with your clad than 95 percent of coin hunters find in a year
Not grouping everyone together in that sentence,but I believe it to be the truth in what I see posted,and what I pull myself,clad vs silver.
Finding silver is fun,I agree. But owning silver no matter how it comes is much more appealing to me . And if cleaning up on the clad is more beneficial and easier,hell yea

You'll buy more silver with your clad than 95 percent of coin hunters find in a year
Not grouping everyone together in that sentence,but I believe it to be the truth in what I see posted,and what I pull myself,clad vs silver.
Finding silver is fun,I agree. But owning silver no matter how it comes is much more appealing to me . And if cleaning up on the clad is more beneficial and easier,hell yea

Thanks wood. I agree 110%

In a very "round" about way (see what I did there:laughing:), my clad does go toward silver because I deposit my clad at the end of the season and buy/replace needed gear. That's one of the great things about this hobby, some of the cost associated is recaptured in the finds, depending on what your willing to part with.

Great photos of that beauty and congrats on paying for it with found clad . I love seeing silver rounds made as copies of the old classic coins . I have an awesome copy of an SLQ I bought many years ago that I treasure .

Well I also invest in the market and in crypto Josh. I have three daughters ages 3, 5 and 9 and they as well have a portfolio each and some cds and such. That is very forward thinking of you being young wish I had. I was just figuring a way to spend this clad to where it will gain money instead of cashing in to buy a beer, pay gas, get a sandwich etc. I honestly took the whole first years and coinstar it went for a gift card with bought a unicorn floaty and soom other pool toys I believe at the time. I wanted to maybe take that money and at the end of the calendar year invest in the market or something but figured I am shooting for coins so why not keep the theme. Man today I hunted 11 hours was gone 14 hrs and hit 4 locations. I will be doing a write once my hunting partner send me his pics. He hit 3 silvers a silver ring and other stuff. My wasn’t as great but still random and cool finds.

Great photos of that beauty and congrats on paying for it with found clad . I love seeing silver rounds made as copies of the old classic coins . I have an awesome copy of an SLQ I bought many years ago that I treasure .

First coin I ever bought and it isn’t exactly a coin but I want to mainly find them but this seemed like a unique and fun way to add to the hobby. I wish the slq was one. I haven’t found a silver quarter yet. Starting to piss me off.

Yeah the coin thing is still new to me.
Save up your clad, I’ve been chasing silver for over 40 years and have seen amazing price swings. Matter of fact, last year silver dropped to $12 spot per ounce, I was buying it cheap! Ten years previous it reached over $40, forty years before that it was close to $50.

Save your clad silver will be on sale for half price soon.

Just be careful there's lots of fake silver out there. This includes old-looking coins silver rounds and collectibles. They have mastered the counterfeit! Get them from a reputable dealer!!!!!

I hate digging clad, but when I do, I clean it up and throw it in the Coinstar machine. Fastest way to get rid of it.

I rely on dug silvers for the silver part of my portfolio.

I am also a stock trader, and when I have extra cash, I buy vintage American coins. I like the history, and prefer them to the modern reproductions.

I fill up Gatorade bottles with my clad. Saving up for the next detector to come out that looks interesting.

Just be careful there's lots of fake silver out there. This includes old-looking coins silver rounds and collectibles. They have mastered the counterfeit! Get them from a reputable dealer!!!!!

An acid/stone test kit and scale will go a long way to protect from counterfeit junk silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An acid/stone test kit and scale will go a long way to protect from counterfeit junk silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to take a scale or a good strong magnet into a coin shop or antique store, but I do not think they will allow you to do an acid test in the store. Just my thoughts. I'm kind of uneasy on purchasing things from flea markets and online.

i put the clad in a container and when i get it cleaned up enough to turn in i put it in my 15 yr old granddaughters account. what few silver coins go in flips and in an album for her.

a local jeweler friend bought a bunch of silver one time and the price fell for a long time, now he is recouping his money so be careful. silver and gold always worth something, where the dollar may tank.

I've been converting my clad into silver and gold for many years. Some folks don't like digging clad but I'll take all I can get. The dimes in the pics are the silver coins I bought with my clad finds a few years ago (two years worth). Last summer when silver hit $30 per ounce and gold was at roughly $2000 I sold it all.

Attachments

• IMGP0614.jpg
    IMGP0614.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMGP0684.jpg
    IMGP0684.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 222
Back
Top Bottom