What a decent hunt looks like... Another Elementary School!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Saturday, I got out to detect (only time on Memorial Day Weekend), and hit an elementary school at the edge of a nearby town. It's a bit of a drive out there, and I've only ever been there once, in the winter, and discovered the ground was a frozen tundra, due to being in the shade most of the day (a warm spell had thawed most of the city).

When I got there, I figured I was in for some lousy hunting, as over half the field had recently been reconstructed with a new astro-turf play area, and all new sod. But the back half had been left alone, so that's where I went. Glad I did!

Decent hunting, as I was finding quarters a few inches deep, and I decided on upping my sensitivity to get a full 8" of depth. Glad I did. I ended up finding several silver rings about half-way into the hunt, both in penny ranges, and then managed a 42-43 signal that sounded like deep trash. But the thing was, it was the FIRST 42-43 signal that I'd hit that day that was deeper than surface, so... out it comes, just to see what it was. Glad I took the time to dig it, because after several Lesche scoops of dirt out of that hole, I looked over and saw a glint of gold! St. Christopher's medal. Figured it was 10K, cleaned it up and put it in my pouch. Later, I weighed and scratch tested. Definitely 14K, but only weighs .86 grams. But gold is gold, and $30 is $30!

About 20 minutes after that, I pulled a Silver St. Christopher's medal out of the same section of field. I don't find many of those here, and to find one each of silver and gold was a treat. The silver one has a name and date on the back, of 1998. Either it's a birthdate, or confirmation date. The medal was only about 2-3" down, which means... if the dirt was roughly the same, that Gold medal was really old. Could be, since the school was built in the 1970s.

I tried to find the name online, but the only match I could get was a person who was incarcerated, and the firstname/lastname from the medal was a firstname/middlename for the prisoner. Ah well.. I gave it a go.

This is gold #9 for the year. Not bad since it's only May! I usually pull at least one a month through the summer. I shouldn't have any problem reaching my greater-than-1-per-month average.

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 64401895954__5B0A3170-540F-41B5-92C0-FACF8CB082FD.jpg
    64401895954__5B0A3170-540F-41B5-92C0-FACF8CB082FD.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0765 (1).jpg
    IMG_0765 (1).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 634
Nice hunt!

I love metal detecting at schoolyards - they just keep on giving.

Yep. I'll go back in 3 years, and find a whole bunch more. :)

My favorites are the schools that have "popcorn Fridays" or something like that. I can tell, because there are quarters EVERYWHERE. :cool3:

Decent? Man, I would call that a "Flipping awesome hunt" by my standards. People in my area know... they glue their rings with super glue. :mad: :lol:

Josh

Decent? Man, I would call that a "Flipping awesome hunt" by my standards. People in my area know... they glue their rings with super glue. :mad: :lol:

Josh

I've never found an area that didn't have rings. When I travel, I take my detector with me, and it doesn't seem to matter where I go. I find them.

But here's the thing. A LOT of those rings are in the penny range. I know a whole bunch of detectorists that simply bypass anything that has a VDI of a penny, even though there are ways to subtly tell the difference between a penny and "not a penny" on many machines. I've detected with other hobbiests who will tell me they don't find rings, and I'll go right behind them and pick them up out of the penny range.

You might try that. Hope it helps!

Skippy

But here's the thing. A LOT of those rings are in the penny range. I know a whole bunch of detectorists that simply bypass anything that has a VDI of a penny, even though there are ways to subtly tell the difference between a penny and "not a penny" on many machines. I've detected with other hobbiests who will tell me they don't find rings, and I'll go right behind them and pick them up out of the penny range.

You might try that. Hope it helps!

Skippy

Zincoln penny range OR copper penny range? Inquiring minds want to know.:?:

Zincoln penny range OR copper penny range? Inquiring minds want to know.:?:

Both. Penny range for me, depending on the soil conditions ranges from 67-80.

Typically, I find the most rings in the VDI range of whatever the actual penny range is for THAT field. For example, if Zinc pennies are ringing up 69-71, and copper is 78-79, I'll find most rings within those two points, because they're "skipped" by other detectorists. Over the last 5 years, I've found at least a half-dozen golds in those two ranges, too.

The thing is, with the AT Max, while I dig a decent amount of pennies, I'm still skipping WAY more. I can tell some pennies are absolutely pennies, those I typically skip. As a result a LOT of my pennies are pretty corroded, bent, or have other anomalies that make them ring differently that a typical zinc or copper penny would. It's why they come out of the ground. Causes doubt.

As a general rule, though, rings sound differently anyway. They're more solid and don't have that high-tone chirp that pennies do.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom