Detector Manufacturers of updatable detectors should Imo Allow Their Detector Models To Accommodate Multiple Software Versions Or At Least Multiple Su

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
When manufacturers design make sure platform can allow at least 2 software versions or at the very least allow what I call both newer version update (whole) and a older subset (portion of older version) to be used.

Why?

Makes testing easier if and when a newer version is designed and requires pre release testing in the field for validation. Would allow users after version!release to use different versions and gain first hand feedback of the benefits or lack thereof!of different versions or version subset(s). Case in point. Notice Minelab left old iron bias to be user selected when they released!newer version with iron bias F2 option.

So in a nutshell this allows the detector versions ( or version subset) to be compared to the themselves in the field by the user.

Xp should have done this too. They should have designed Deus imo where at least 2 complete version allowed to be uploaded to unit.

Notice the later released Ace Apex. Garrett should have allowed on it too.

Don’t know what added production cost this would cause. Hopefully not much.

I can see how this might be good for testers, but I’m not sure I can see the usefulness for the other 99.99% of detector users. For the average user, I think the ability to roll back to a previous software version, if desired, is sufficient (and desirable). I really don’t have enough knowledge about the technology to know for sure, but I assume it would add cost to accommodate the ability to allow two separate software versions to live and breathe on a unit and be instantly accessible - I personally would prefer not to pay for that. If it doesn’t add cost or complication, sure, have at it - but I would never bother to use the feature.

Of course, if it was an option, I wouldn't complain. Definitely wouldn't pay more for it. I haven't been detecting long. The only updates I have ever done are the ones on the Equinox 800. I just update, and keep on hunting. The minds at Minelab are much more experienced when it comes to programming than mine. I just trust that an update will be a good thing. Maybe I'm just naive.

I can see how this might be good for testers, but I’m not sure I can see the usefulness for the other 99.99% of detector users. For the average user, I think the ability to roll back to a previous software version, if desired, is sufficient (and desirable). I really don’t have enough knowledge about the technology to know for sure, but I assume it would add cost to accommodate the ability to allow two separate software versions to live and breathe on a unit and be instantly accessible - I personally would prefer not to pay for that. If it doesn’t add cost or complication, sure, have at it - but I would never bother to use the feature.

I'm no software engineer, but from my understanding, any added cost would be negligible. Maybe adds a few thousand (or a few hundred) bucks to the cost of...overall development of the machine.

Pre-Release testing....no...better to have two individual units for true comparisons unless it's simple stuff, like your Nox iron bias example.

I do like the idea though if it can be incorporated into the existing menu structure. Once you move into hidden key combination sequences to turn stuff on and off it soon becomes tiresome.

HH
Mike

Back
Top Bottom