Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 02-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Default Are these real?

I just found this ring this morning, it does have a 925 on inside band. It was wrapped with tape. I am assuming that was done to make it fit a kids finger and that would lead me to believe that they can not be real rocks. What is best way to determine if these are CZ or real diamonds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. You can always take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and they can test the stones very quickly.

www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Old 02-07-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Are these real?

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. You can always take it to a jeweler or pawn shop and they can test the stones very quickly.

My wife mentioned that as well. No one would buy that amount of carat for a silver band. Usually white/gold I believe. Let alone tape it up so it fits correctly haha.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Elite Member

Either way it is a very nice looking ring.

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2021/(3) silver coins (0) silver jewelry (2) gold jewelry (3)IHP (4) tokens

Old 02-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
Either way it is a very nice looking ring.
I agree, silver is always good !!!

www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SmirkAtTheMerc View post
.... Most of the time people don't put real diamonds in silver....
Originally Posted by aeds151 View post
.... No one would buy that amount of carat for a silver band.....
Originally Posted by pescadore View post
I would doubt seriously that the stones are diamonds because the ring is silver instead of gold. ....
^^ ditto ^^

However, I once heard someone claim that the rule-of-thumb (that no one mount valuable diamonds in silver) was not true of yesteryear centuries. Ie.: that perhaps in the 1700 or 1800s they might have, in fact, done so. Yet I have NEVER seen an example of this. Also, the mere fact that yours is stamped 925 means it fairly modern anyhow. Oh well, look at the bright side : You found silver

Old 02-07-2021, 02:36 PM
Elite Member

Like others have said, I seriously doubt that the stones are diamonds. In the future you could get yourself a diamond test kit so that if you find any jewelry with stones you could test it yourself.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
^^ ditto ^^

However, I once heard someone claim that the rule-of-thumb (that no one mount valuable diamonds in silver) was not true of yesteryear centuries. Ie.: that perhaps in the 1700 or 1800s they might have, in fact, done so. Yet I have NEVER seen an example of this. Also, the mere fact that yours is stamped 925 means it fairly modern anyhow. Oh well, look at the bright side : You found silver

Hey Tom, let me fix that for you.
Here is a real-life example of real diamonds in silver. I wear it on my right hand, except when detecting (it tends to catch on my nitrile gloves).

It's got .80 carats of stones in it. I built the ring myself with diamonds I found detecting.

The settings are rock solid, and I even had it checked out by a jeweler after I did the work. I've worn it daily for 2 years now. The jeweler said it used to be common to have silver hold diamonds, but people want to call it "white gold" and have rhodium plating these days. What's funny about my ring is that I had it rhodium plated, too. So, basically, the outside is the same as "white gold" but the innards is 925, instead of 14 or 10K.

Also, while not common, I wouldn't say diamonds in silver are super rare. I've found no less than a half-dozen silver rings with real diamonds (usually VERY small). One of them just last week (2nd pic). +Lots of silver pendants with diamonds in them (at least a dozen over the last 5 years).

Skippy

Cheers!
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
Here is a real-life example of real diamonds in silver. ....
Thanx Skippy. Yes, diamond CHIPS, sure, I suppose. But I guess I was referring to any diamonds of actual size & value. Eg.: 1/4 or 1/3 carat & up, like solitaires . I don't ever recall seeing sizable diamonds put in anything less than gold or plat. Have you ?

Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Thanx Skippy. Yes, diamond CHIPS, sure, I suppose. But I guess I was referring to any diamonds of actual size & value. Eg.: 1/4 or 1/3 carat & up, like solitaires . I don't ever recall seeing sizable diamonds put in anything less than gold or plat. Have you ?
Tom is correct here. Now here's another crazy fact. I have plenty of titanium and tungsten rings with real diamonds ( small chips). And I also have a few 10k and 14k gold rings with big fake cz's. 1 of which I posted about 5 months ago that was a 1 carat heart breaker.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
Here is a real-life example of real diamonds in silver. I wear it on my right hand, except when detecting (it tends to catch on my nitrile gloves).

It's got .80 carats of stones in it. I built the ring myself with diamonds I found detecting.

The settings are rock solid, and I even had it checked out by a jeweler after I did the work. I've worn it daily for 2 years now. The jeweler said it used to be common to have silver hold diamonds, but people want to call it "white gold" and have rhodium plating these days. What's funny about my ring is that I had it rhodium plated, too. So, basically, the outside is the same as "white gold" but the innards is 925, instead of 14 or 10K.

Also, while not common, I wouldn't say diamonds in silver are super rare. I've found no less than a half-dozen silver rings with real diamonds (usually VERY small). One of them just last week (2nd pic). +Lots of silver pendants with diamonds in them (at least a dozen over the last 5 years).

Skippy

Cheers!

I just found one this week too! I agree with Skippy. Mine was just a promise ring with 1/16th size pebble,but real! My great aunt who died a few years back put tape on hers as her hand shrunk. You wouldn't go through all that if it was fake etc. I haven't listened to a lot of conventional wisdom since I started. I believe what's in front of me and research vs old wives tales. Jewelers are now convincing men that tungsten is timeless and valuable too lol That being said,get a tester.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:47 PM

I found one this summer that was silver, but the diamond was CZ. Most of the time people don't put real diamonds in silver because silvers weaker than some metals and the diamonds can get out.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:41 PM

Default Are these real?

Thanks gents. Does anyone use the diamond tester that sells on amazon for $15? Has a series of lights on it. I need to order a loupe and if its worth it to check a find every now and then, I might order with my loupe. Also, any recommendations on Loupes? Last thing, so what do i do with this silver ring? I do not want to hoard this type of jewelry.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by aeds151 View post
Thanks gents. Does anyone use the diamond tester that sells on amazon for $15? Has a series of lights on it. I need to order a loupe and if its worth it to check a find every now and then, I might order with my loupe. Also, any recommendations on Loupes? Last thing, so what do i do with this silver ring? I do not want to hoard this type of jewelry.

Yep the Diamond Tester II is plenty accurate. Just follow the instructions for warm-up and settings for diamond sizing.

Cheers,

Skippy

Old 05-30-2021, 02:13 PM

To help you out with your last question... send it to me and I will “dispose” of it properly. 😄

Old 06-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Supporter

glass or cz... about a buck in melt but $40 new in the store

Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2021 at 08:34 AM.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:08 PM
Elite Member

The former President of our club was apparently not above stretching the truth. Once he claimed he found a ‘43 S wheat penny and it had an auction reserve of $1.3 M. Turned out to be a ‘48 s and the 8 had been shaved to show a 3.

But the best was when he said he found a titanium ring with diamonds and a pawn dealer gave him $800 for it. ?????????? I’ve found you can take a platinum ring with 2 carat diamonds to a pawn dealer and they might offer $300. Maybe .

But not a titanium ring.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Supporter

Take it by Arkansas Trading and Loan, Josh will check it out for you. Also, it's still a silver ring and it ranks above costume jewelry to me. Keep it and if you end up with too many silver rings I'll take them off your hands....

Old 02-07-2021, 10:25 PM
Elite Member

Looks nice. I've found those heartstoppers before only to see 925 in the band lol. Congrats anyway! Next time they will be real!

Old 02-10-2021, 08:03 PM

I'm sure they're real. Might be real glass, but definitely real.