If you were in this hobby just for the money?

Where would move to and hunt if you only wanted to earn a living by metal detecting?...
I would choose Oahu or Maui because there are a lot of beaches and tourists. Another reason for those places is that I would be homeless and the weather is mild enough in the winter so I wouldn't freeze to death outdoors. And I could detect year round.

From what I've seen on YouTube, most rings are found underwater at popular swimming places. I'd need fins, a mask, a floating air compressor, and a good underwater detector.

Some will refuse a bag of fresh food from a fast food place and will only accept money, when living back in Baltimore walking down the street I had a man ask for money for food saying he was hungry, I offered to take him to a restaurant across the street and buy him some food and he refused, only wanted money.

Happened to me last year. Was at the drive thru at Wendys, guy claiming to be a homeless vet walked up to my car in the drive thru lane asking for $5 to get a pizza from Little Caesars across the street. (if he wanted pizza, why begging outside Wendys??) Well I offered to get him any meal he wanted from Wendys, all he needed to do is tell me what he wanted before I ordered and I would give it to him after picking up. He refused saying Wendys would only give him 1 meal when an entire pizza would give him 3. Oh well guess he wasn't that hungry and I really doubt he was a vet either. No food or cash from me.

Amazing they can often make more with a cardboard sign then some people make working a job :?:

I remember seeing a news story once where someone with a cardboard sign at an intersection after being done for the day was video taped walking a little ways off to where his BMW car was parked :lol: (I think it was a BMW)

Some will refuse a bag of fresh food from a fast food place and will only accept money, when living back in Baltimore walking down the street I had a man ask for money for food saying he was hungry, I offered to take him to a restaurant across the street and buy him some food and he refused, only wanted money.

I know there are some sincere people who are really in need and feel they have no other way to survive, but it is sad how many un-needy scam artists will take advantage of people.

Anyhow, this post reminded me of this funny pic of a detectorist with a cardboard sign with an honest message "Need Cash for Detector Batteries" :laughing:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2971482#post2971482

(it is just a funny edit pic :lol:)

There's plenty of those scam artists around nowadays, you see them everywhere. A lot of them are dressed in nice new looking clothing and don't look the least bit like they are homeless but they're out there trying to take advantage of people's generosity. Sure, some of them are for real but who's who? The one you offered a meal to but only wanted money most likely would have spent it on scratch-off tickets or liquor.

Happened to me last year. Was at the drive thru at Wendys, guy claiming to be a homeless vet walked up to my car in the drive thru lane asking for $5 to get a pizza from Little Caesars across the street. (if he wanted pizza, why begging outside Wendys??) Well I offered to get him any meal he wanted from Wendys, all he needed to do is tell me what he wanted before I ordered and I would give it to him after picking up. He refused saying Wendys would only give him 1 meal when an entire pizza would give him 3. Oh well guess he wasn't that hungry and I really doubt he was a vet either. No food or cash from me.

There's plenty of those scam artists around nowadays, you see them everywhere. A lot of them are dressed in nice new looking clothing and don't look the least bit like they are homeless but they're out there trying to take advantage of people's generosity. Sure, some of them are for real but who's who? The one you offered a meal to but only wanted money most likely would have spent it on scratch-off tickets or liquor.

Yep, I'm not rich but I don't mind helping out someone in genuine need, but when they refuse a fresh meal it shows they very likely want money for non-essential stuff, and I don't want to support anyone's habit whether it's for drugs, booze, or even cigarettes, that would not be doing them a favor but just enable them to continue in their habit.

(I'm thankful for getting off my 3 pack a day cigarette habit back in the mid 1970's when it was 40 cents a pack, could you imagine what that would cost me per month now ? :shock: not to mention being bad for your health)

Yep, I'm not rich but I don't mind helping out someone in genuine need, but when they refuse a fresh meal it shows they very likely want money for non-essential stuff, and I don't want to support anyone's habit whether it's for drugs, booze, or even cigarettes, that would not be doing them a favor but just enable them to continue in their habit.

(I'm thankful for getting off my 3 pack a day cigarette habit back in the mid 1970's when it was 40 cents a pack, could you imagine what that would cost me per month now ? :shock: not to mention being bad for your health)

Gary...when I was a kid my parents, between the two of them, smoked FIVE packs a day......my father smoked three and my mother smoked two. They both died young from heart attacks. When my father passed away he already had the first stage of emphysema. His doctor told him to quit but he didn't listen. Five packs a day now would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $45 a day. I'm glad I never picked up that habit. Congrats to you for quitting.

Unless it was a prolific beach with higher end clientele, I’d be hard pressed to earn a living detecting the beaches of SoCal. The most I usually come away with, on any given day, is several dollars, a couple of toy cars and the normal aluminum tabs and can slaw.
Once in a great while I’ll get lucky but nowhere near what I’d need to make a living. In fact by the time I add up my cost of gas, I’m in the hole. SoCal beaches are pounded by so many it’s almost ridiculous. Probably would be better off panning for gold during the part of the year that’s mild.

Gary...when I was a kid my parents, between the two of them, smoked FIVE packs a day......my father smoked three and my mother smoked two. They both died young from heart attacks. When my father passed away he already had the first stage of emphysema. His doctor told him to quit but he didn't listen. Five packs a day now would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $45 a day. I'm glad I never picked up that habit. Congrats to you for quitting.

Thanks, and to give credit where it is due, thank God as I prayed for help and was able to quit cold turkey the same day as the craving completely left me and I had no urge to smoke again, and with 3 packs a day, that was a miracle !

When I stopped I was in my mid 20's, I'm 66 now and as far as my doctor is concerned it is if I never smoked since I stopped so young.

Sorry to hear about your parents, remember when we were kids was before they had to put medical warnings on the packs of cigarettes, but even back then if anyone really thought about it common sense would tell you it's not good for you, after all if people have to get treated for smoke inhalation if they are exposed to smoke from a fire, then why should deliberately inhaling smoke from cigarettes be any safer ?

$45 a day ? :shock: nowadays it seems like people might need to work a second job just to pay for cigarettes if they smoked much !

So people have 2 good reasons to stop, most of all for their health, but also to save a lot of money !

Unless it was a prolific beach with higher end clientele, I’d be hard pressed to earn a living detecting the beaches of SoCal. The most I usually come away with, on any given day, is several dollars, a couple of toy cars and the normal aluminum tabs and can slaw.
Once in a great while I’ll get lucky but nowhere near what I’d need to make a living. In fact by the time I add up my cost of gas, I’m in the hole. SoCal beaches are pounded by so many it’s almost ridiculous. Probably would be better off panning for gold during the part of the year that’s mild.
Don't know how long you been at it Beachhunter , but the late 70s through the mid 90s were INSANE epic times to hunt So.Cal beaches. That was with detectors that are nowhere near as good as they have today.

Southern India. Place is going to be caked in garbage. Smelly. Full of bacteria and other goodies... But have you ever seen those fat ladies swimming with all the 22-24k gold on?
I would have gone already but chickened out for the same reason I wont hit Australia.
The wildlife.:laughing:
Not sure what I wold do if I swing my headlamp and see a cobra standing up looking at me.

Southern India. Place is going to be caked in garbage. Smelly. Full of bacteria and other goodies... But have you ever seen those fat ladies swimming with all the 22-24k gold on?
I would have gone already but chickened out for the same reason I wont hit Australia.
The wildlife.:laughing:
Not sure what I wold do if I swing my headlamp and see a cobra standing up looking at me.

You will never see a cobra in Australia unless you're in a zoo...

:lol:

$45 for 5 packs? That's cheap compared to Australia. Here they cost $25-$50 per pack, which is around $125-$250 for five (that's $85-$170 in US dollars).

It gets a bit cheaper (but not by much) if you roll them yourself. I don't smoke and never intend on starting. Horrible for your health and expensive too.

$45 for 5 packs? That's cheap compared to Australia. Here they cost $25-$50 per pack, which is around $125-$250 for five (that's $85-$170 in US dollars).

It gets a bit cheaper (but not by much) if you roll them yourself. I don't smoke and never intend on starting. Horrible for your health and expensive too.
At the price you quoted for cigarettes in Australia, it makes me wonder how anyone can afford the price for even ONE pack per day.

Work is something I have to do. A hobby is something I choose to do. While some spend a lifetime trying to combine the two? for me? "Never the twain shall meet" applies here.

I’d take a few trips to the water fountains of Vegas every year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing they can often make more with a cardboard sign then some people make working a job :?:

I was working at a mall when we noticed a guy on the corner holding a sign that said "WILL WORK FOR FOOD'. He happened to come in for a break and we got to talking to him. He said he made an average of about $300 a day and even more on week-ends when his girl friend was there with her kids. He said he never showed up when offered jobs. At the end of the day we saw him pack up and walk across the street to a local liquor store.

this is disconcerting, however there is an element of truth to it in that SOME to a LOT of people today could care two shi*ts less about you and your feelings.they just want to fu*k you...thankfully,not everyone is like that. god's grace.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I was working at a mall when we noticed a guy on the corner holding a sign that said "WILL WORK FOR FOOD'. He happened to come in for a break and we got to talking to him. He said he made an average of about $300 a day and even more on week-ends when his girl friend was there with her kids. He said he never showed up when offered jobs. At the end of the day we saw him pack up and walk across the street to a local liquor store.

$300 a day ? :shock: maybe he figured the "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" sign would make people more willing to just give him money ?

It's sad that such con artists take advantage of generous people who think they are helping someone really in need only to have their hard earned money used to buy booze instead, those con artists also hurt people who are really in need because it makes many people leery about helping someone not knowing if they are legit or not, that is why I would offer to buy food, if they are really in need they will gladly accept food.

I think it was last year my wife was going back to her car in a Walmart parking lot and a lady asked for money to buy food for her kids, my wife had her go inside Walmart with her and my wife bought her some groceries and the lady was genuinely thankful as she was sincerely in need.

Back
Top Bottom