What is this?!

*Cali Girl*

Elite Member
Any idea as to what this may be?! Found it in the middle of a soccer field about 8in deep. It's pretty heavy and came up as a nickel/pull tab on my machine.

If you really Love your cat you will get him on an iron free diet right away. Now go wash them hands.:laughing:

Actually I have no idea, it would have been in the first trashcan I passed!

Hey now... With the amount if time it took to dig it up I at least had to find out what it was before tossing it :D
OK I'll try harder!

What happened in Michigan for years is a foundry or factory of some kind would pack up and leave. The town would bulldoze the area and put 6 inches of topsoil over the mess and call it a park.

All of the slag and gobs of melted mystery metal are still there and are well in range of our detectors.

What you have there looks like a gob of pig iron slag. They poured molten iron into sand molds and all of the molds are connected by channels.

Once the "pigs" cooled they would knock the stems of iron off that were left in the channels.

They also took the leftover sand and used it other places AKA fill dirt. Some odd stuff ends up in odd places by using fill dirt.

Looks like an old metal stake to secure something. That's why there is wire running through it.....:grin: (Nice cat)

Not sure, i'd probably toss it, but if it's an old area it might be worth holding onto until you receive a positive ID. Some items that look like trash are actually pretty valuable especially when it comes to relic hunting military items. It appears to be iron, a lot of times large rusted iron will register higher on the meter.

Try cleaning it better than reposting a new photo. I'm going with an iron leaveitrite, as in "leave it right" in the fist trash can you find.

Oh it has a name....

I know what its called but its really racist... no seriously. They are called (racial term for African folks)heads. There is a quarry near me that pulls them up all the time. They really need a better name, but it comes from a time when that was a common term. The guy that told me about them is dark skinned himself, which makes it seem worse. They are basically just Iron balls, most often formed by soil movements and, in your case, discarded Smelting material.

You have the left overs of smelting metal. There are a few veins that drain the top most layer of material off a smelting pot. Mostly zinc, tin, and other additives to the real prize, Copper. When the "scrap can" is full, it is hit with a hammer and out comes a cylinder of mixed metal.

I don't. throw anything away. I recycle all of it. Scrap metal goes in to it's on five gal. buckets and I sell a hundred dollars or more pull tabs ,cans, aluminium, copper, brass, lead,The only stuff I Chuck is glass and paper.

Back
Top Bottom