gold chain design/age?

007tallguy

Elite Member
this isn't a "dug" find, but was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with gold chain designs and determine an approximate age/date?
this chain passed the acid test for 14K (several times). i do know it's fairly old, but not sure exactly how old and sadly the only family members who might have known it's origins are long gone.
here are several close-up of the links and the clasp.
thanks for looking and for any possible info. :yes:

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG1450.jpg
    IMAG1450.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMAG1449.jpg
    IMAG1449.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 596
  • IMAG1446.jpg
    IMAG1446.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 582
  • IMAG1444.jpg
    IMAG1444.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 611
  • IMAG1442.jpg
    IMAG1442.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 584
It's a Big Boppa! Sometimes with older chains each link is marked by the assay office, also there should be a maker and other marks! Are there any markings on the chain? The style looks early 20th century?

That's a variant of Byzantine chain, normally there are two loops where yours have that one wide loop. Been around for ages so that's no real help in determining the age.

Voriax

Peruvian Wedding Chain.

Long enough to loop over the couple's heads as they take their vows..

Heavy and beautiful.

SageGrouse
Who has one.

I'm not questioning your integrity, but that chain looks fake to me. the color doesn't look right, but that could be the lighting. the links are pressed together not soldered,. I've never seen that before any real gold chain, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. and lastly, but w
PHP:
eight doesn't seem right to me, seems like it should be happier. but for you, I hope it's real gold.

Peruvian Wedding Chain.

Long enough to loop over the couple's heads as they take their vows..

Heavy and beautiful.

SageGrouse
Who has one.

thanks! it's only 19 inches long, so nope, won't easily wrap around 2 people, lol. :roll:

"Peruvian Wedding Chain".........Ahhh makes sense now. There should be a big heavy ball that goes with it as well.

hahaha!! :laughing::laughing:

I'm not questioning your integrity, but that chain looks fake to me. the color doesn't look right, but that could be the lighting. the links are pressed together not soldered,. I've never seen that before any real gold chain, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. and lastly, but w
PHP:
eight doesn't seem right to me, seems like it should be happier. but for you, I hope it's real gold.

this is an older chain, been in my family for upwards of a century, maybe even longer. the photos were taken under fluorescent light, so that could account for the off-color. it DID pass the 14K acid test 3 times, no tarnish or green on it anywhere. i even soaked one end of it in vinegar overnight and there was no indications of it being brass, no color changes, no green corrosion formed on it.
real or not, i still think it's a rather nice looking chain and fairly unique and if my neck doesn't turn green, i'll likely wear it. ;) i will be checking each and every link in it and tightening things up a bit. i wouldn't want it to turn into MD'er bait, ha! :lol:
as for the weight, i did a search on the "Byzantine chain" and a 20 inch/2.0mm 14K is listed at being only 11.56 grams. my 19 inch is over 23 grams! :shock:

thank you all for your input! :yes:

Pete

Did your chain turn out to be gold?

as far as i can tell, that would be a yes! :yes: as per my previous post, it did pass the 14K acid test, but failed the 18K acid.
i wear it quite often when i go out hunting (my good luck charm, lol) and have never had issues with my hide turning green from it. the color in the photos is a bit off from the lighting i was using at the time, it looks much better in natural daylight. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom