Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Clubs, Hunts, and Events

Old 07-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation Oct 20, 2019 ~ MTHA Open Hunt (Massachusetts) UPDATED Announcement

The Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association (MTHA) is hosting its annual OPEN HUNT at Houghton's Pond in the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Massachusetts, near Boston [840 Hillside Road, Milton, Mass, Exit 3 off Route 128]

Date: October 20th, 2019. This is a Sunday event. You may sign up for the morning hunt, afternoon hunt or for both hunts. Go to this MTHA link for Hunt Details and Registration options.

New for 2019:

~ Name change for 2019 is the "Fall Silver Search"

~ All Full-Day registrants (Morning AND Afternoon hunts) qualify for entry into a drawing for the DOOR PRIZE of one Minelab Equinox 600 detector, a $650 value.

~ For the first time, we will have ONLINE registration at our web site as an alternative to mailing in a registration form with your check or money order. Online payment is via PAYPAL or credit card. If you register online, you may also want to print the paper registration form which has directions and a map to the hunt site.

~ By request of former attendees, we are seeding with large amounts of silver. Paying for the entire day is a greater advantage.

~ We are limiting the number of full day hunters to 80. They will be eligible for a door prize (see above). If we do not have 80 hunters we will allow walk-ins on Oct 20th at a higher fee. The number of registered attendees will be available to see online.

RAIN or SHINE !

This is a "seeded" hunt on a fresh water beach and we have had participants from most New England states for several years. Last year, several Friendly Metal Detecting Forum members participated and from the feedback on this forum, had a great time and were looking forward to this year's event. See this link to last year's 2018 announcement and forum member feedback on our hunt: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=260969

Some equipment reminders:
~ No pinpointers or large, oversize searchcoils
~ No sand scoops* or belt-worn sieve baskets allowed; only digging trowel or knife
~ All entrants are required to use HEADPHONES.
* sand scoop, with handle allowed if you are disabled.

We'll be raking the beach before AND after the hunt (help appreciated). It is normally off limits to detecting, being DCR parkland, so we have a SPECIAL USE PERMIT for that day only.

So charge up those batteries or bring extra batteries and your lunch. NO Alcohol permitted on DCR Parklands.

Bring your Hunt Flyer for Schedule and directions: LOST on the DAY OF HUNT? CALL 781-424-seven four seven two (This is Sandi, our HuntMaster)

Also, check the MTHA Web Site from time to time for updates, as the prize list grows. I will also post these as I receive them from Sandi, our HuntMaster.

P.S. Please include your email on the form so that I may acknowledge your entry and payment. And if you do sign up, please PM me or reply to this thread so I can create a poster at the hunt site of FMDF member representation and can say hi that day. Thanks.

Good luck everyone !

Jim M. (jimther)
MTHA Librarian
Link to Registration page at MTHA web site: https://registration.masstreasure.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett Propointer II, Gray Ghost Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger
~ This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons ~

Last edited by jimther; 08-08-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Equipment reminder update

Old 07-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Supporter

Looking forward to it Jim! The last three hunts have been a lot of fun!
Besides, it's one of the few times each year I actually find silver.
I'm really hoping that Equinox has my name on it too!

Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Looking forward to it Jim! The last three hunts have been a lot of fun!
Besides, it's one of the few times each year I actually find silver.
I'm really hoping that Equinox has my name on it too!
You’ll be in good company then Ron if you win the door prize NOX-600. In previous MTHA Hunts, two of this forum’s members (diggin4clad & detectordiver) have won a detector. See you in October!
Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett Propointer II, Gray Ghost Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger

Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

Can't wait!

Old 08-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

Just heard from our Hunt Master Sandi yesterday. We have 20 folks registered already for this hunt (she will need to update the number at the web site which still shows only 12).

Remember, the club is limiting the total number of "full day" hunters to 80 this year.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

One Forum member has already signed up. In past years, I knew who everyone was as they registered because I pick up the club's mail at the Post Office. Starting this year, however, with online registrations now available, I might not know if an online registration is an FMDF Forum member. I like to get a group photo of forum members at the hunt, so if you decide to register online, please PM me so I can make a list of Forum members attending.
Good luck to all.

Jim

Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

Ill be signing up in the next couple of days. Looking forward to getting back out there again after missing last years. Always a fun day! See you all in October!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Ill be signing up in the next couple of days. Looking forward to getting back out there again after missing last years. Always a fun day! See you all in October!
Hi Jeff... thanks for checking in. I think we'll have at least 6 forum members at the MTHA hunt this year.

Jim

Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Default Prize list update

At our web site's Hunt information page, there is a tabbed section at the bottom, that Sandi will be keeping a growing list of prizes as we receive dealer & manufacturer donations and club purchases. See: https://registration.masstreasure.com/

Here's a list I've copy/pasted today (August 7th) and is in addition to all the SILVER that will be seeded on the beach and the DOOR Prize of the Minelab Equinox 600:

Hunt Committee is busy obtaining prizes as the hunt approaches. These will be prizes for tokens planted by the club in the sand. Equal amount of prizes and value for morning and afternoon.
•Sampson Shovel
•AT Pro Detector [AM Hunt] (A $552 value)
•Predator Tool
•Lesche Tools and Pouches
•Manufacturer Donated Bling (t’s, pouches, totes…)

MORE Prizes Planned:
•Donated Silver Coins by Club Members
•“Instant” Cash in the Ground
•Garrett Pro-pointer (“carrot”)
•First Aid Kits

SPECIAL 2:00 PM [GOLD Coin]
As we did last year we will be planting a limited number of special tokens in the second hunt field. If you find one you may use it to enter in the 2PM hunt with one prize, a gold coin. (If you find more than one special token you can give it to another hunter who did not find one.)

Good luck everyone !

Jim

Last edited by jimther; 08-10-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Add detector value

Old 08-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Default Clarification on Hunt Equipment Reminder

Thanks to sharp-eyed reader "Noreaster", I have just made an edit in my original post of this year's MTHA Hunt announcement.

The 2-part Nail Apron that was listed as the only Finds pouch allowed is actually NOT mentioned on the 2019 Hunt Registration form. I must have copy/pasted from a prior years hunt flyer. I have deleted the nail apron mention in the original post.

Still dis-allowed however are sand scoops (unless the hunter has a handicap) and belt-worn sieve baskets.

Jim

Last edited by jimther; 08-07-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: correction

Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

It sounds like fun. Too far for me. I was curious about the pin-pointer prohibition. Is it to slow people down or because of the noise?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Scooterjim View post
It sounds like fun. Too far for me. I was curious about the pin-pointer prohibition. Is it to slow people down or because of the noise?
Ya know, Jim... I'm not really sure. I just texted our Huntmaster, Sandi for an answer. Her reply just arrived.

The club's president feels it gives hunters an advantage over someone without one and Sandi agreed. I'd never thought about it before. So, dem's da rules.

Jim

Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Hello all!
I have never been involved in a seeded hunt like this. Seems really fun and i will be signing up. In addition, my 11yo nephew is really interested, but i have some training to do. He just had is first hunt last night using the AT Pro i gave him. In past events, are there younger kids at these or is it all more experienced folks?

Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Noreaster View post
Hello all!
I have never been involved in a seeded hunt like this. Seems really fun and i will be signing up. In addition, my 11yo nephew is really interested, but i have some training to do. He just had is first hunt last night using the AT Pro i gave him. In past events, are there younger kids at these or is it all more experienced folks?
Hi Noreaster... We usually have 1-3 kids actively taking part at our hunts. Most are older than ten. I think you'll both have fun.
Jim

Old 08-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Elite Member

In addition to an earlier prize list update I posted a few days ago, our web site now shows two more detectors have been added to the list. That makes three detector prizes PLUS the door prize of the Equinox 600 detector.

These are the latest detector additions:

• White’s Treasure Pro Detector ($449 value)
• Minelab X-Terra 305 Detector [PM Hunt] ($259 value)

Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jimther View post
Ya know, Jim... I'm not really sure. I just texted our Huntmaster, Sandi for an answer. Her reply just arrived.

The club's president feels it gives hunters an advantage over someone without one and Sandi agreed. I'd never thought about it before. So, dem's da rules.

Jim
I saw a few people using pinpointers at last year's hunt.....but I didn't think it was a big deal either way.

Last edited by diggin4clad; 08-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
I saw a few people using pinpointers at last year's hunt.....but I didn't think it was a big deal either way.
Hi Ed... Thanks for that observation. I've passed it along to our Hunt Master and to our club president, so they will be vigilant during the hunt.

Jim

Old 08-13-2019, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Default Forum members signing up

So far, we have 4 members of this forum or their girlfriends/relatives registered for the October 20th open hunt.

In addition, earlier replies to this thread tell me that at least three more are planning to register.

26 registrations of the 80-hunter limit so far and 57% have registered online at our web site https://registration.masstreasure.com/ which is pretty good as this is our first year offering sign-up online.

Breakdown, by state of the first 26 registrations:

~ Connecticut: 3 (Plainfield, Colchester)
~ New Hampshire: 2 (Barrington, Londonderry)
~ Massachusetts: 21 (from Cape Cod out to Shirley & Orange)
~ Maine: expecting 2-3

Old 08-16-2019, 06:20 AM
Elite Member

I just signed up via the new online registration, and might add, it was convenient and fast! I also had a little forgotten cash in my PayPal so that helped too. Thanks Jim, and see you all in October!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1722 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 AM
Supporter

Just signed up online as well, My daughter Jackie will be joining me again this year too. This hunt has been a blast the past few years and I'm looking forward to seeing you all again in October. Thanks Jim!