A surprise foreign coin.

JimR_TN

Elite Member
Another late day hunt, still brutally hot here in Tennessee! Only one cool coin and it is an interesting one. A 1916 George V Penny! Unusual find, but I’ve found several other coins from the 1910s and 1920s at this site so I suspect it was brought home by a soldier in Europe for WWI. Another first for me, I've never dug a coin and when I brushed away the dirt seen Britannia!

Attachments

• 1916KGVPennyF.jpg
    1916KGVPennyF.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 1916KGVPennyB.jpg
    1916KGVPennyB.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 257
....so I suspect it was brought home by a soldier in Europe for WWI....

Exactly right musings ! And I would add that it could equally be souvenirs brought back by returning WWII soldiers as well. Because coins from the teens, would/could have been in circulation during the 1940s as well.

We have WWII military bases here in CA (where returning soldiers assembled for decommission times). And it is not uncommon to find coins like that from various European countries. With dates back to the teens like yours, even though they were WWII bases. It's obvious that they were brought back as curiosity souvenirs.

A nice surprise, congrats !

Thanks!

Nice find for sure, congrats!

Thanks!

Nice work. I love finding the old British Pennie’s.

Thanks! My first and it is pretty cool.

Wow, that front looks really sharp! Congratulations!

Thanks! Yes in great shape and has a nice patina.

Exactly right musings ! And I would add that it could equally be souvenirs brought back by returning WWII soldiers as well. Because coins from the teens, would/could have been in circulation during the 1940s as well.

We have WWII military bases here in CA (where returning soldiers assembled for decommission times). And it is not uncommon to find coins like that from various European countries. With dates back to the teens like yours, even though they were WWII bases. It's obvious that they were brought back as curiosity souvenirs.

Sure, could have gotten there any number of ways and wondering how that actually happened is one of the fun parts of finding things like this

I found one of those that was holed. Do Ya think they were brought back from WWI by our soldiers?

It is just a guess, but I think a good one. Someone clearly brought it back as a souvenir and there were a lot of young men sent to Europe for WWI when the coin would have been fresh in circulation A couple of summers ago I found a 1916 Netherlands 2 1/2 cent coin in a yard in Middle TN and I suspect the same origin. Of course it could have been any old tourist or as Tom mentioned a WWII or even later soldier.

Back
Top Bottom