• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab repair center was doing so well.....

stetam

Elite Member
They got back to me on the same day they received my drowned pod saying they would replace it under warranty. I waited a week and since we are both in PA I expected to have a new one in the mail by then, but nothing was received so I emailed them again. This was their reply.

"Unfortunately our system had a glitch with our inventory and we are currently out of replacement Equinox 600 control pods. However we do have an order placed to get some in. We don't know when they will arrive, but rest assured that you will receive updates when they arrive and also when yours is sent out. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Please contact us if you have any questions in regards to the repair of your equipment

Detector Center

I then sent another email stating they should send me an 800 pod rather than make me wait. No reply yet.

Steve

They should have followed up with a update about the glitch ASAP.

If I remember correct every thing coming in has to match what is going out for it is a company policy and the repair center has no control over that. (my opinion) If your out of a machine more than 30 days they should send something to compensate for your loss since the machine is said to be 100% submersible.

What I don't understand about Minelabs is, seems once they have a machine out than there is no effort by them to correct issues that is costing them money. Does retooling a new case cost that much?

Good Luck and keep us informed..

Your request for an 800 seems very reasonable. The delta cost to Minelab will be very little, if any.

So you think their glitch is worth $250? Hmmmm not sure I see it the same way. Would it have mattered if they told you they were out of stock from the get go? Or are you just upset that their explanation took a week? Either way, i dont think youre entitled to a free upgrade to an 800. Just my .02. I waited 6 days when i was told my 800 was being replaced under warranty before they got more pods in stock. Should they have told you about the pod shortage? Definitely. Should you be compensated in some way because of an inventory glitch ? I dont think so, but i have a feeling i may be in the minority in thinking this way.

I shouldn't have to but let me explain to you.

Retailer #1 - Sells item, guarantee's item, replaces item if defective but if they don't have replacements in stock, don't know when they will get more AND don't tell you just say "guess you gotta wait"

Retailer #2 - Sells item but more expensive than Retailer #1, guarantees item, replaces item if detective and if they don't have that item gives you an upgraded version.

Guess which one gets my business and gets recommended to my friends.

Also, the difference in Mfg cost between a 600 to an 800 is minimal, guaranteed.

Steve

So you think their glitch is worth $250?

The cost to Minelab would be about $0.

They might even make more money from Steve, if they give him a 800 pod. Reason being, if the pod dies after warranty, and Steve decides to replace it, he will be paying much more for the 800 pod.

More importantly, it would show good will.

Last edited:
I shouldn't have to but let me explain to you.

No need, its pretty obvious you feel entitled to get something for nothing. Your perceived inconvenience (mountain vs mole hill) amounts to very little, and certainly not a free upgrade to an 800. I had to wait about a week for my replacement pod to be shipped. Not a big deal in my eyes and I was more than happy they replaced my expensive toy. I'm sure others had to wait as well. The fact there was a "glitch" in their inventory system means nothing because you'd still have to wait for a replacement and you're just angry they didn't tell you about the delay. ML is not in business to hand out free upgrades. Also, your fantasy retail example wouldn't apply in this situation either because you are not dealing with a retailer.

Maybe it will get back in stock soon. Things like this happen. It’s frustrating, but try and take it in stride.

No need, its pretty obvious you feel entitled to get something for nothing.

Geez Louise. As I understand the story, the vendor failed ("inventory glitch"), and the customer is asking for compensation for that failure. Totally reasonable, at least IMHO. While I don't know the specific economics involved, I'm guessing an 800 upgrade is a no brainer, given the difference in perceived utility/cost/value between the manufacturer and the consumer. And that calculus does not even include goodwill and customer relations 101.

I had something similar happen. I hired a contractor to install a garbage disposal, among other improvements. The garbage disposal failed. The contractor said I do not have another unit to the failed unit on the truck, but I have a higher end unit. Is that ok? Of course, lets get it done. I guess by this poster's logic, I should send the better unit back, wait for him to get the original unit, and not expect compensation for vendor failures.

I don't think so. The OP is right, and I hope he gets his upgrade.

Geez Louise. As I understand the story, the vendor failed ("inventory glitch"), and the customer is asking for compensation for that failure. Totally reasonable, at least IMHO. While I don't know the specific economics involved, I'm guessing an 800 upgrade is a no brainer, given the difference in perceived utility/cost/value between the manufacturer and the consumer. And that calculus does not even include goodwill and customer relations 101.

I had something similar happen. I hired a contractor to install a garbage disposal, among other improvements. The garbage disposal failed. The contractor said I do not have another unit to the failed unit on the truck, but I have a higher end unit. Is that ok? Of course, lets get it done. I guess by this poster's logic, I should send the better unit back, wait for him to get the original unit, and not expect compensation for vendor failures.

I don't think so. The OP is right, and I hope he gets his upgrade.

Good story. Here's mine. Hired a window replacement company to change out all my old aluminum frame windows for dual pane vinyl clad. Shopped and got 5 bids , his was the cheapest (all comparable windows) by $3k. Installation is done and I notice flaws in the glass of the sliding glass door. So they send out the guys that actually make the doors in their shop , not the install crew. Well they couldn't do it ! So I personally had to board up my own slider for 4 days , until the real install crew came out. I was not happy. When I complained to the owner , without hesitation he comped the $2,400 slider for free. I was shocked to say the least......and only wished they had screwed up all the windows. Lol

It's now been 3 weeks since they diagnosed my problem and still no update on when I would get a new one. Guess I'm entitled to expect more.

Steve

It's now been 3 weeks since they diagnosed my problem and still no update on when I would get a new one. Guess I'm entitled to expect more.

Steve

Sheesh, three weeks in the summer detecting season is a long time. :roll:

They should have followed up with a update about the glitch ASAP.

If I remember correct every thing coming in has to match what is going out for it is a company policy and the repair center has no control over that. (my opinion) If your out of a machine more than 30 days they should send something to compensate for your loss since the machine is said to be 100% submersible.

What I don't understand about Minelabs is, seems once they have a machine out than there is no effort by them to correct issues that is costing them money. Does retooling a new case cost that much?

Good Luck and keep us informed..

I totally agree. If they don't want to fix the housing I wish they would make a "Sea Ghost" type of water proof case. They could say it is to increase the depth to 66 feet so they don't have to admit there is a problem with leaks and it could match the D2. I would be happy to pay them $300-400 bucks, cause I haven't used mine once since the warranty expired over a year ago.

Steve

It's Minelab. When it comes to customer service, you're not entitled to anything. I mean, if this were Garrett, you'd be entitled to a lot.

I'm saying the above, tongue-in-cheek. I feel your frustration and this is just another example of why Minelab's customer service is, at best, hit or miss.

Keep us updated...and good luck!

It's Minelab. When it comes to customer service, you're not entitled to anything. I mean, if this were Garrett, you'd be entitled to a lot.

I'm saying the above, tongue-in-cheek. I feel your frustration and this is just another example of why Minelab's customer service is, at best, hit or miss.

Keep us updated...and good luck!

I am missing the old Whites CS.

I gave up on the equinox after drowning 2 of them quickly. They never should have marketed it as waterproof. I guess most people who buy them never go more than ankle deep and for the 1% of us who do go shoulder deep with them and end up replacing under warranty that's a good deal for minelab, 99% satisfied clients...

I may have missed it, but did they respond to your request to replace with an 800?

Back
Top Bottom