• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I was given a free detector!

bruinvikes

Elite Member
I’m a truck driver and I was picking up a load at the Ford plant in Woodhaven Michigan. When I walked in there was another driver sitting there going through a box of rolled half dollars in search of silver. I struck up a conversation with him and told him that I was a metal detectorist. A Ford supervisor overheard me telling him that and proceeded to tell me that he bought a detector at a thrift store/flea market for his grandson years ago but his grandson never showed interest so it has been sitting in his closet for all of these years. He wasn’t sure what make or model it was but told me that it had a blue box on it. He told me that I could have it if I wanted it. He saw me two days later and he had brought the machine in for me to take. The machine didn’t have a blue box on it, but instead it was black. It ended up being a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101. It’s definitely not one of my Fisher machines, but it was free nonetheless. Don’t take me wrong, I’m not at all bashing the Bounty Hunter line. In fact, there’s a bunch of people in the hobby that started out with these machines and some still use them and are happy with them.
There is a house a couple of miles away that once was a one room schoolhouse and the homeowner has a couple of sons. What I’m thinking about doing is trying to secure permission to hunt his yard and to help land permission I might offer for his boys to swing the Bounty Hunter and whatever they find is there’s to keep. What does everyone think of that tactic? I figure the kids might get excited and then their parents might not be able to say “no” once they see the excitement on their faces.

VERY nice freebie, congrats !!!!

.....and that's a neat idea to use it as an extra to let the kids try it out, you could get permissions, and the kids would have fun and might ask their parents to get them one ! :lol:

I’ve got a bounty hunter with a NEL Tornado coil that I’ll put up against most machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still swing my Bounty Hunters, even though I have the MineLab Xterra. In fact, I plan, this afternoon, on hitting that totlot with my sniper-coil BH (Calvin). Cal can get me closer to those metal stanchions and swing-set legs and is lighter to carry than either Hobbes (the regular BH) or Madame X (the ML).
SageGrouse

i always like to try different detectors but since I am now retired I can't afford any. If anyone wants to give away a free working detector I'd take it. I might even be able to help with the shipping.

Great idea! They keep what they find, BUT...when they find a chunky gold ring with the BH, you can offer to trade; giving them the machine for the ring. If I was a kid who just found a ring with a metal detector, I would want to keep the detector more than some jewelry.
Then cash in the ring, and buy lunch for the guy that gave the machine to you. Everybody happy!

Sweet idea to turn this into something special! They all find stuff, and I'm tired of everyone selling their best machine, so you own what I have....but, to be in position to volunteer your mentor abilities, as well as piece of equipment at no cost is a special chance to help some young, or old folks out, and give them a chance at something they might never experience otherwise....when you volunteer your time and knowledge to someone who appreciates it...it will come back to you ten fold for your efforts...kudos to you for spending it forward!

primetime

Free is Free!!!! Can't beat that!!!! Also, sounds like a really good idea. Kids love finding "treasure"...Guess I do too....:laughing:

A good back up machine is always handy .
It seems to me that no matter make, model or year manufactured , the things are all fun as heck.
Put that thing to the soil and give us a review .

Back
Top Bottom