Buried "treasure" in Southeastern Pennsylvania <HOAX>

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEPaMan

Hello, treasure hunters. A couple weeks ago I was paid by an elderly neighbor to mail the following letter to newspapers in Southeastern PA. I was also instructed to post the letter online in "appropriate venues" (let me know if this is one of them):

To Whom It May Concern,

Years ago my grandfather buried some kind of "treasure" at a secret location in Warrington Township. He left a series of clues that led to the treasure but passed away before he felt the need to retrieve it. Having lived through the Great Depression I don't think he was the type to trust in banks or government. I can remember that he hoarded precious metals of all kinds, as well as old and valuable coins, keeping them in linen trunks in the basement. Sort of an eccentric fellow.

My siblings and I hunted for the treasure all throughout our youth, but our enthusiasm waned as we matured. Even after many years of searching no one in my family has ever been able to find the hoarde. I think this is because none of us ever found the location of the first clue. Both my father and uncle assured me that they witnessed my grandfather in the area of the Bradford Reservoir with pick and shovel on more than one occasion. This was our one hint, but no matter how much we searched the forest we never found anything. He knew it too well, and we too little. Or perhaps the clues were lost to time, rusted and overgrown.

I don't have it in me to hunt for treasure anymore. I was the last member of my family to give it up. In a month I'll be moving in with the rest of my relatives out west - permanently - and I don't want this little legend to die with us. Somebody should enjoy the hoarde. None of us want to let it rot in the ground forever, even if we can't have it. I've talked it over with my siblings and we agree that it's time to turn the treasure hunt over to people smarter than us. I would like to make this information public. I would respectfully request that you publish the story and the clues that my grandfather left behind.

Please respect my desire to remain anonymous in these matters. I do not wish to attract any undue attention to my family. As a metal detector hobbyist for many years I have heard my fair share of stories about the kinds of harassment families and property owners can face when rumours arise regarding "buried treasure" in the vicinity.

Undoubtedly with your resources you can spread news of this throughout the county and roundabout. I will be mailing this information to as many publications and individuals as possible, in the hopes that those with the means to do so will disseminate it freely. Any interested treasure hunters are encouraged to make for the hoarde. We relinquish all claims and consider the hoarde fair game.

I will be reading the papers and following this story with enthusiasm! I look forward to eventually congratulating the finder, if any.

Sincerely,

Sonny Amou

PS -- Family tradition has it that my grandfather buried numerous hoardes throughout the township, however we have only one set of clues. Whenever I searched for the hoarde I usually swept the area with a metal detector in case any other treasures happened to be near. My father, who I believe was in the know, said that the location of the hoarde was a clue to finding other buried caches - one of them in a barrow containing my grandfather! These were the sorts of colourful family legends told about the man; that he was secretly buried according to Anglo-Saxon custom, that his ghost floats through the forest bearing a lantern and a shovel, that the "hidden fortunes" of our family are scattered across Warrington in underground vaults. But none of us ever found anything. As I wrote earlier, the very first clue eluded all of us. I may have been a treasure hunter all my life but I know when to admit defeat and pass the torch.

The Clues:

Within 70 paces of the Lion's Tree there is iron in the earth.
99 paces at 72 degrees the Sun shines underground.
At 9 o' clock the Sun's rays reach out 86 paces.
A book there rests which guides the way, it reads:

52-3-21
10-7-17
80-5-23
44-5-25
16-8-32
84-4-28
52-9-15
34-6-12
90-7-19
28-4-22
66-2-12
78-5-15
72-5-23
58-4-26
24-8-18
60-4-54
48-7-21
30-1-23
16-5-19
24-1-11
50-5-43
70-1-19
44-4-26
24-7-17
12-3-29
38-2-10
84-3-27
18-5-13
96-6-30
30-3-21
52-9-21
78-6-38
14-1-19
22-4-28
88-3-34
68-7-33
60-6-34
10-8-12
40-4-22
56-4-14
38-3-13
26-1-11
50-2-16
74-3-19
86-9-17
12-2-24
66-1-37
30-7-21
42-2-12
98-4-32
92-9-25
44-4-22

I can reveal the following: Warrington Township is in Bucks County, PA and "Sonny Amou" comes from a wealthy family. This letter went out to local newspapers -- the Intelligencer, the Courier Times, Calkins Media (owner of the Intelligencer and the Courier Times), the Reporter, the Herald, the County Historical Society, and two employees of Calkins Media who Mr. Amou thought might be interested in the story (one a columnist for the Courier Times and one an archivist for the Intelligencer). As of this date no newspapers have run the material. Please help raise awareness of the subject, otherwise I won't earn the second half of my commission.

Can't wait to see some
Replies to this. Sounds interesting and book worthy if not already. Time to pack
Up.

Dan I apologize, I am not familiar with the etiquette of online forums. I just want to ensure as many people as possible view the post. But thank you for your interest. Please spread this information to your colleagues.

Thank you for your interest. Please spread this story to your colleagues.

That's a really cool story and can't wait to hear or see if anyone picks up the hunt!!!
HH, and good luck!!!
Justin

very cool story, unfortunately i'm not familiar with bucks county

"Within 70 paces of the Lion's Tree there is iron in the earth."

'Shishigashira' is unlike any other Japanese maple in the world
The name 'Shishigashira' means "Lion's Head" or "Lion's Mane."

Great info Hotel71, glad the topic is raising some interest. Please tell your colleagues.

Thanks ruthlessPawn, if you have any colleagues in the area please let them know.

Ok so this is right up my alley! I live in Warrington.

I know that there is a tree farm that borders Bradford resevoir. Actually I was just there yesterday before I knew anything about this.

I also know there was a farm where the resevoir sits. I belive it was still a farm into th 70's before the dam was built

SEpaman, do you know the approximate year these hoardes were buried?

All the numbers look like a cipher. You would need to have a key word in order to figure all the numbers out. The story sounds a little out there? But is interesting.

All the numbers look like a cipher. You would need to have a key word in order to figure all the numbers out. The story sounds a little out there? But is interesting.

Maybe you don't need a keyword, maybe you need the "book" that was mentioned. Possibly the sequence of the 3 numbers in each line could be book Page, followed by the sentence or line on the page, and the last number could be for example the 51st letter or word following the first letter in the line or sentence.

Maybe the Lions Tree is located in front of a library or something similar? Maybe the "sun shines under ground" indicates something under a grate, or manhole cover?

I think that "At 9 o'clock the Sun's rays reach out 86 paces" is actually referring to a shadow being cast. But i think you would aslo need to know the day of the year, since the position of the sun in the sky differs with the seasons.

And I wonder why "Sun's" was capitalized. Another clue?

Newport74 - The orchard was cut down years ago to make way for an age-restricted community. And to answer your other questions, my neighbor lived in the area of Bradford Avenue. He seemed pretty sure that the treasure, or at least one of the clues, was buried near the Bradford Reservoir. If you know the place then you know there is a lot of protected forest there. But I have no idea when it was buried, if anything was even buried at all. I guess if it was buried near the river before it was dammed then it could be under the Reservoir.

Maybe you don't need a keyword, maybe you need the "book" that was mentioned. Possibly the sequence of the 3 numbers in each line could be book Page, followed by the sentence or line on the page, and the last number could be for example the 51st letter or word following the first letter in the line or sentence.

Maybe the Lions Tree is located in front of a library or something similar? Maybe the "sun shines under ground" indicates something under a grate, or manhole cover?

I think that "At 9 o'clock the Sun's rays reach out 86 paces" is actually referring to a shadow being cast. But i think you would aslo need to know the day of the year, since the position of the sun in the sky differs with the seasons.

And I wonder why "Sun's" was capitalized. Another clue?

Where's Ben Gates when you need him??

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

emfederin - No, but someone on another forum said that the name he signed the letter with, Sonny Amou, was actually the word "anonymous" with the letters rearranged. I wondered why he had chosen such a strange name!

dogpound - Sorry, no. My neighbor said his grandfather had been a hoarder since the Great Depression, so I guess anytime between then and the 80's when he died. Again I apologize, that's a pretty big window and I'm sure it doesn't help.

joncharles29 - How does a key word work with a cypher? I don't mean to pick your brain and waste your time but this stuff is pretty interesting!

Bill Ace 350 - Thanks for your input. My neighbor would be excited to know his story was generating interest.

Within 70 paces of the Lion's Tree there is iron in the earth.
99 paces at 72 degrees the Sun shines underground.
At 9 o' clock the Sun's rays reach out 86 paces.
A book there rests which guides the way, it reads:

At- pro vdi numbers...... Your Grandfather was obviously swinging one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom