Old coca cola bottle.

sonoman06

Elite Member
Beautiful Downtown Port Tobacco...................
I found this old coke bottle yesterday. I found it inside a cinder block, which was part of an old foundation. I know the bottle was placed inside the wall when it was built because the top portion of the wall fell over recently to expose the bottle. Does anyone know how to date these bottles, besides the age of the wall? The markings on it are
Bottom: La Plata MD ( the town I live in ) and an f

The building was built before 1932

Attachments

• 20120504_173640.jpg
    20120504_173640.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5,704
I found this old coke bottle yesterday. I found it inside a cinder block, which was part of an old foundation. I know the bottle was placed inside the wall when it was built because the top portion of the wall fell over recently to expose the bottle. Does anyone know how to date these bottles, besides the age of the wall? The markings on it are
Bottom: La Plata MD ( the town I live in ) and an f

The building was built before 1932

Hello Sonoman06. There should be four numbers on the side near the base, the first two are the year. We have one like yours and it says "56-17" so mine is 1956 vintage. Nice find.

coke bottle

i hava a small one that says , trademark registered dec 5 1923 on the front of the bottle , on the bottom it says San Francisco ca.

Coke Bottles

That is a nice bottle sonoman06! Interesting how a '53 bottle would be there. I have heard of stories of construction workers putting coke bottles in walls and other places during construction. I worked on some old railroad cars once and we found a bottle inside the walls of a baggage car with a letter inside it. It was from the guys at the assembly plant in the late 40s. We only found the bottle because the walls had rusted out and we were trying to knock loose the rust and the bottle fell out.

If that building was built before 1932, the only type of coke bottle that was in use at that time was the "Christmas" bottle. That is what coke collectors refer to the bottles with the "Pat Dec 25, 1923" date on them like davyo described. Those bottles were actually made/used between 1924-1937. The bottle you found is the next generation bottle after the Christmas bottle. That design was used until the mid/late 1950s.

hobbleskirt cokes are cool.

here's a great page about them (and other cokes):
http://www.antiquebottles.com/coke/

If the bottom of the bottle has a town name and lines between the words, it's a repro. If it's in large letters w/o lines, it's real.

some towns are more collectible than others (barring someone collecting stuff from that particular area). The smaller towns that didn't last long and are now long defunct usually bring more.

My coke bottle

This is one i got in about 1980, it says under the coca cola name , it says , min. contents 6 fl, ozs other side says trade mark registered dec 25 1923 on the bottom in big letters no lines it say san Francisco ca.

Attachments

• GEDC0860.JPG
    GEDC0860.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 3,300
  • GEDC0861.JPG
    GEDC0861.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 3,258
  • GEDC0862.JPG
    GEDC0862.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,195
  • GEDC0863.JPG
    GEDC0863.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,149
  • GEDC0864.JPG
    GEDC0864.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 3,122
This is one i got in about 1980, it says under the coca cola name , it says , min. contents 6 fl, ozs other side says trade mark registered dec 25 1923 on the bottom in big letters no lines it say san Francisco ca.[/QUOTE

Is it real or a repo

I found one kind of like yours is a cotton field. Mine is dated 1948. Couldn't believe it was intact after so many years of plowing.

Back
Top Bottom