• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Problem curb strip hunting

I recently was hunting a curb strip and the owner came out of his house fussing at me. First of all I don’t disturb any where there is decent landscaping and this one definitely did not qualify. I explained what the laws were but rather than be a jerk about it, I would move on. That calmed him down and we started talking. I explained why I do this hobby and my interest in local history and how proper holes are dug. As I was packing up, he suddenly had a change of heart and actually insisted I proceed. Didn’t find anything but it was nice it ended well for both of us.

PPLINKER - Did you find anything?

No, didn't find anything that day, couldn't concentrate. The day before at another curb I found a few clad coins and a cigarette lighter. The lighter could probably be useable with a little work but made in Japan so it goes in the scrap bin.

Thanks for asking! Have a great day!

iu

Lmao ,,,now that’s funny,looks like mrs roper

Row

It's not necessarily defined by the sidewalk. Each roadway has a defined ROW, right of way, most communities are 60' the homeowner owns from property pin to property pin that could be 40' in from the road curb. It's a bum deal because they are responsible for maintaining it but have no true ownership of it, but in some cases the roadway has outgrown its original ROW and the lot may very well begin at the curb. It can really be trickier than just "between the curb and sidewalk is public" and that's why it's best to just move on when asked to.

My job moved to Michigan from 2011-2016. During that time I bought a small ranch home in a new development, We had no sidewalks but the ROW extended from the curb 15 feet into my lawn. And as stated, I was responsible to maintain it. The builder obviously knew this as they only seeded the new lawn to where the ROW began, so I had nice grass meeting a 15' strip of crabgrass. It took much of those 5 years to get the lawn to overcome the crabgrass and weeds!

Legal Opinions

Venting allowed here pplinker :laughing:

Your story just goes to show that we're in a hobby that has ... uh ... connotations. And you're NOT going to please every last person. You're not always going to have red-carpets rolled out. And you have to have a thick-skin at times, and know how to "give lip service". And that not every scram or busy-body gripe constitutes something that must be fought or clarified. Sometimes it means to just avoid that singular person, and .... choose more opportune times .

BTW : The visit to the police, in your story, could have gone another way, as has been seen on other posts on this topic: You could equally have gotten a police desk person whose image is geeks-with-shovels, to likewise (incorrectly) say : "you can't do that" (or some silly answer like "you have to have pub. work's dept. permission" etc....). In other words, the answer from ANY city desk, could be arbitrary and whimsical. Glad it worked out ok in your case. But no matter the answer: As long as you are leaving no trace, and as long as the public has easement there, then .... It's like nose-picking: It might offend some squeemish people, so ... choose more discreet times.

This is a very good point, as police and municipal clerks are not lawyers and not the right people to ask to interpret the law.

good job

I had just started hunting a curb strip and a young woman with her little daughter pulled up in front of the house and said she had seen me in another part of town and asked if I was searching for something. I told her just old coins. She said she didn't want me digging any big holes. I told her I wouldn't. But she'd start moving on then think of something else to say to sling back over her shoulder. Said it was her yard. I said it is the curb strip and belongs to the city but if it upsets you i'll move along. She said she'd check on what kind of approval was needed, whatever she meant by that. I was very nice and not at all insisting on my right to MD there. But it kind of ruined things so I soon left.

Went to the city police office where two nice young officers said it was perfectly fine to hunt the curb strips but probably better to move on like I did.

I have seen on her you don't have to ask permission to curb hunt, and I know it's been discussed before. Just venting I guess.
sorry about the bad day but you did right for the rest of us, thank you.

The property between the sidewalk and the road is borough right away,,no one owned it..I've heard someone say it's on they're deed,i find that hard to believe..I own a tree service,and if a homeowner wants something done to a tree better sidewalk and the road I need to get approved from the borough
Doe this depend on what sate
you live in?

Doe this depend on what sate
you live in?

I highly doubt it.ive worked in new jersey,new York, Virginia and Maryland,and live in Pennsylvania now..same rules applied to those states..The city or the borough, whichever you have in your neck of the woods does not want to get permission from a homeowner to rip up pipes or drains,,which most lay between the sidewalk and the road in that strip of grass..imminant domain.lol

curb strips

I’m just gonna throw this out there.A home owner cannot give you permission to hunt a curb strip,they don’t own it.And this is just me,I’m not a people pleaser,I’m more of a live and let live.That being said ,I could care less what a home owner thinks,just like people in the parks have they’re opinions about me digging there.But the bottom line is they have no authority,just a opinion ,,and as long as I’m not doing anything wrong I’m not gonna let someone’s opinion stop me from having fun.

All true but think about the larger, PR, ramifications. They might (or might not) even give you permission to hunt their yard if you make a good impression. On the other hand they might bad mouth you and all detectorists to their friends and neighbors if you tick them off. Just sayin..

Yes. If it's in CA , you must send me 30% of all your finds. Any other Questions ? :D

Hey Tom , I was going to send you the 30% of my finds but I hadn't realized til' I wrapped and mailed the package that I forgot to put the contents in . By the time I came home , my house had been broken into and believe it or not , those were the only items stolen :( . Oh well , maybe next year. Merry Christmas .

You have use a little commonsense when detecting curb strips. If they are well manicured by a homeowner it's best to pass them up or get permission first. Usually the older rundown parts of town that I detect people don't usually mind me detecting the curb strips.

I've done my fair share of detecting curb strips for years and I've only had a few people who have said anything to me. Most were just curious and after they found out what I was doing, I manage in most cases to get permission to detect their yards as well.

During all that time, I only ran across a 2 or 3 people who were real jerks about it. I just politely stated my case and told them that I was sorry that I upset them and move on. I'm sure not going to waste my time with them and let them mess up my day. Life is too short!

beephead

Go back, if she harasses you again tell her to mind her own business.

Some old Lady up here in my little town was found dead out in her backyard this past week, out in the snow...All the neighbors and cops said she was a real screaming swearing troublemaker..always looking out the window and running out to bust everybodys balz, calling the cops on her neighbors for some sort of infraction, leaf blowing, grass cutting, kids making too much noise, dogs barking, you name it......you know the kind, Neighborhood WatchWitch...theres one on every block...pretty common, hates everybody and completely insane...

Anyway, her neighbor, some old Man who had no criminal record other than a speeding ticket, Looks like Santa Clause or Grandpa Walton..even...gentle old guy,...evidently didnt know how to plow his driveway right or something, snow was pushing over onto hers or some damn thing......So out she comes to give him hell once again for about the umpteenth time, screaming right up in his face like she got away with for so many years before....He just couldnt take it anymore I guess, caught him on a bad day, up in his face all swearing, and stabbing at his nose with her finger...Peaceful old guy snapped...So he impulsively killed her dead and left her body out in the snow bank, probably punched her teeth right through the back of her head......as far as I know, he's not a detectorist....

This should be a warning to all the old crazies out there, peeping out their windows looking for somebody to bust on...not that they will take heed and settle down a bit..but damn! chill! That old curbstripping b'tard aint hurting anything! ...Old men can only be pushed so far....I dont know what leads people to this advanced stage of insanity to bumrush an Old Man and dish out hell with no thought to their own safety?? ? Cats? :laughing:

Silver lining to this whole tragedy?? At least the neighborhood can shoot off fireworks on New Years Eve at Midnight, and the curbstrip in front of her house is fair game ...I hope I get called up for Jury Duty on this one! Not Guilty!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom