hunting a moonshine still site

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Found a moonshine site from the 1920-30s. It is out in the country along side a creek and our plan is to dig everything. The first search found six rusted barrel hoops, 1/2 of a large pair of tin snips and a top of a rectangle steel tank of some sort. Lots of smaller pieces of the grain storage bins. After we dig out everything we will then wait for a good soaking rain and go back with our larger coils and look for other deep finds. Also found several broken mason jars with rusted tops. Have not found any coins yet since digging and removing all the iron trash is time consuming. Still it seems like a good site to spend some serious search time.

Any other ideas on our plan will be appreciated.

update on finds

Found a moonshine site from the 1920-30s. It is out in the country along side a creek and our plan is to dig everything. The first search found six rusted barrel hoops, 1/2 of a large pair of tin snips and a top of a rectangle steel tank of some sort. Lots of smaller pieces of the grain storage bins. After we dig out everything we will then wait for a good soaking rain and go back with our larger coils and look for other deep finds. Also found several broken mason jars with rusted tops. Have not found any coins yet since digging and removing all the iron trash is time consuming. Still it seems like a good site to spend some serious search time.

Well we searched it twice on different days. It as fun, but no coins just some historical pieces of metal. 1) 1/2 of old huge tin snips must have been 12-15" in length. Lots of metal pieces. One square metal top about 20 x 20" with a strange item bolted to it that looked like a bell. About 8 old rusted metal barrel hoops, 3 1/2 - 3/4" short corroded pieces of pipe. Searched out away from the still and found nothing, and in the creek and also found nothing. Probably not going back except maybe a day after a long soaking rain to see if I can get more depth out of my AT pro.

Good luck, it does sound like a blast. The relics would be super cool and definitely worth it. I would defiantly keep an ear open for silver, but since this was a "job" to someone, there might not be too much change dropped. People didn't have the convenience stores and McDonald's to hit to and from their way to work. Also just my guess but the "Still" generation would only be one generation away from the "get your going to town coin" generation and may not simply carry much money when they go from the home to the still.

Good plan you have, good luck! If people spent time there, there will likely be some coins.

Sounds really fun. Good luck.

I guess we'll know if you find any shine or not.

Based on your spelling and wording when you post. Lol

Good luck in your quest.

That's really cool, Too bad there's not Shine there.. I think it's a cool place to search not sure if there will be many coins there. If you think about it there will only be one or two people working the still and they are working for the cash for the year..
But it is worth a shot! I would be there till it was searched over and over! lol
Great find!
JoshBiz

Back
Top Bottom