Have you ever came across a Virgin Non hunted site? (Non private prop)

Darktower007

Forum Supporter
So this one may be hard. But I’m sure some one has came across a part of a park/school/old long gone park in the woods, church etc.. that had silver and relics galore!??? I dream of these sites may never find one but I’m still looking!
So??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a old school site in the middle of a old neighborhood that produced lots of silver coins and silver rings. I found over 50 war nickels alone there

I have a spot locally that was supposed to be hunted out. This year I have found 18 silvers including a Walking Liberty Coin Ring and 7 other Sterling rings at. The place is huge, but I have hit two areas repeatedly that are no more than 1500 sqft total that produced all the silvers and 2 Buffs/V Nickel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahhh noo

Attachments

• nsh.jpg
    nsh.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 184
Ha! I new they existed. Lucky for you guys I always find the most pounded parks in America and clean out all the can slaw. :( lol

Yep, a long gone Church that had sat next to a (fenced) Cemetery. Two of us probably pulled 50 coins and tokens from the (then) cornfield. Barbers, Mercs, Wheats, Large Cents, I even found a Centavo.

Funny thing was, there was also an old School that sat across the road, never found the 1st thing there.

Both buildings were shown on an 1870's plat map. Was the best site I'd ever located and hunted......would sure like to find another one like it :yes:

ETA: I didn't catch the "non-private" part

Last edited:
So this one may be hard. But I’m sure some one has came across a part of a park/school/old long gone park in the woods, church etc.. that had silver and relics galore!???

Most definitely! My little dying town (down to less than 35 people) was like most rural agricultural based railroad towns around the turn of the century, a bustling little haven of activity, now full of meth shacks and completely untouched property.

This is my hometown and the only place I’ve ever lived, and my gigantic yard is made up of what once was many little yards, all had houses or churches. In fact I just bought three more lots that have a house marked on the 1890 map. (Land is cheap here.)

It’s all completely unhunted. Or was! My first coin with my ATPro was a mercury dime, I was hooked. I’ve been so blessed to have had the opportunity to have all this at my disposal. It really has spoiled me. What I don’t own my father does, or my brother does, or my uncle, OR it’s neighbors who have known me all my life. I’ve been fortunate to have found Barber halves, Barber quarters, Barber dimes, quite a few Indians and lots of mercury dimes and Rosies all within 100 yards of my front door, most being in my very own “yard”.

Those virgin sites do exist! Good luck.

Pulled over 100 IHPs, dozens of V and shield nickels, a couple of trimes, 2 2 centers, a Barber quarter, 4 mercs, 2 war nickels, 2 silver GW and 21 seated silvers. Id call that site a virgin. EDIT: this was private property but I have found lots of silver on public property. My best colonial site was public property

Last edited:
I found a small grass area in the city one day and stopped to ask a guy walking his dog who owned the property. He told me it was a city park I thought no way it looked like a small lot for a house at one time. Ended up with a 1921 SLQ on the second hunt 4 inches down. Also found watch fobs, tokens, buttons, sterling and coins from the early 1900's that was over a year ago and I'm still finding items. Did have a club member ask me where I was finding all this and he was very surprised when I invited him to hunt the area with me. He did find some very nice coins also. I met a lot of very nice people in the neighborhood since then and they allowed me to hunt there yards. It's been a good year.

After talking to some old timers, telling me of a place in a heavily forested area that was once a turn of the century baseball field.
You would never know it,even by earth google,
After making a study, while hunting, of the century old oak trees,
I can tell where perhaps where the sidelines
or the foul ball area may have been ?

I've dug Indians heads, early wheats, V nickels, buffalos nickels,
barber dimes, one barber quarter , a few clad coins,
& have taken two rings out, and a few silver plated spoons.

This is my go to spot,
sometimes I've hunted it with "ZERO" success,
or to come out of the woods with just one coin,
last weekend I hunted for 2 1/2 hrs,
finding a 1904 barber dime, and one 1965 Lincoln.

the only silver coins found have been of the barber series,
no mercs, no rosies, no SLQ's , no GW's
it leads me to believe that people quit
playing ball there around the 1920's
There are some thick areas of brush, prickly bushes
and fallen trees that are near impossible to get into........

I don't believe any one else knows this history or has ever detected it
Just me & hunting buddies... my dogs

Last edited:
So this one may be hard. But I’m sure some one has came across a part of a park/school/old long gone park in the woods, church etc.. that had silver and relics galore!??? I dream of these sites may never find one but I’m still looking!
So?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was possible back in the late '70s. At a ball park in W MN my dad and I got $5 face value in silver in a few hours and most of them were an inch or two deep. They're may have been more halves and quarters combined, compared to dimes. They dropped the coins when buying popcorn, evidence being so many popcorn boxes on the ball diamond.

I still think such areas exist, like in ghost or semi-ghost towns in states with low population density. Even some parks in towns with a few hundred people in areas not densely settled may have many silver coins at 6" or less.

There's maybe 5 metro areas within 100 miles of me, so those places that have more then a few obvious silver signals are likely even further away. Old schools, some closed, in small towns can be very profitable, but we must look up owners and get permission as someone might live/work there.

There's places that used to be a fairgrounds, permission/success possible.

So??

I'd say yes... with conditions.

I've hit a couple of sites that were probably "touched" by metal detectorists, but not really gridded and explored. For example, out of one small 1/2 acre park, I pulled 17 rings (4 gold, one of which had 3 carats of diamonds), and probably $40 in change. The park was built about 14 years ago. I think it had been "spot hit" by many detectorists, but never really cleaned out. (I did so, willingly!)

I've also hit a high school that probably hadn't been seriously detected in about 20 years. Between my son and I we pulled almost 50 rings out there, with 27 silvers, and 5 golds between us over only about 5 hunts. Well over $120 in change. only 4 fields (soccer, 2 softball, and one practice football field). Amazing experience.

That's the best I've had... Never had anything "old" though. The best part of park hunting, is that give them some time... and they fill back up! :)

Cheers,

Skippy

Yes, I actually find them quite commonly over here. I know of a park near the city which is loaded with coins (in three hunts I've found $100+), so I doubt anyone has bothered to hunt it. In another small park in a really old suburb I've found quite a few silvers and heaps of old 1c and 2c coins (if there are lots 1c and 2c coins around, then it probably hasn't been hunted because those sound exactly like silver coins). I've also found numerous playgrounds across the state yielding $50+, and in a well known volleyball court I found $52+ in 1.5hours, and the good thing is, it keeps getting replenished. :) I've also found a park where I have gotten two gold rings so far (but no silver) and about $120+ in change ($65 of which in one hunt!)

A few months ago I was hunting at a school, and after going through the playgrounds and finding absolutely nothing (obviously hunted), I decided to hit the lawns and a small section of the oval and found $40+.

Man what a dream it must have been in the 70’s to pick up a detector and pull so many silver half’s, barbers etc. i can find silver by door knocking but I’m digging deeper Into the subject of unhunted ground.I mean it’s like deer hunting to me.. get out of the truck and a huge buck walks up boom! Or you scout for days get wind right and he shows up.

Sometimes the work you did, scouting and planning makes it all that much better

I regularly hunt farm fields, some areas of the farm had military camps. Many people have hunted the areas where camps are shown on the maps. I tend to hunt the surrounding areas because I find good things. I recently found a spot about 300yds square that must have been a home site that was gone before 1875. I have found 22 big copper coins there. The oldest is a coin from before 1710 and the latest is 1827. So far I have also found 36 buttons, some pewter but most are flat buttons of all sizes. I have yet to find any silver in the date range of the other coins but in that time period of half cent coins, silver was big money.
I became obvious to me that very few, if any have detected that spot!

I don't believe there are virgin spots, however, I have many places where the old timers told me have been hard hit in the past, and I've dug dozens of silvers since.

My favorite spot was a ball field next to an old train depot. Large cent, seated, Barbers, Indians, etc, right outside the diamond and in the outfield. Dozens of oldies...all less than six inches deep. So many old coins that I later told buddies about it and they told me they've hit that spot in the past!

Yes, it's still public but very secluded. The 2nd thing is over half this lot has had ground work and excavation done, but the other half has produced 15-20 silvers and maybe close to 3 dozen IHP. And thank God no clad!

I'd say yes... with conditions.

I've hit a couple of sites that were probably "touched" by metal detectorists, but not really gridded and explored. For example, out of one small 1/2 acre park, I pulled 17 rings (4 gold, one of which had 3 carats of diamonds), and probably $40 in change. The park was built about 14 years ago. I think it had been "spot hit" by many detectorists, but never really cleaned out. (I did so, willingly!)

I've also hit a high school that probably hadn't been seriously detected in about 20 years. Between my son and I we pulled almost 50 rings out there, with 27 silvers, and 5 golds between us over only about 5 hunts. Well over $120 in change. only 4 fields (soccer, 2 softball, and one practice football field). Amazing experience.

That's the best I've had... Never had anything "old" though. The best part of park hunting, is that give them some time... and they fill back up! :)

Cheers,

Skippy

That’s amazing! Still looking for my first gold ring.

I remember finding a gold ring in Eastlake park. The old attendant told me a large guy was searching for a ring in an area but didn't know if he found it. The guy couldn't even remember how many years ago it was! I had a Compadre and found it in about 10 minutes. It was 8 grams and 14K. Big enough to slide up and down on my thumb! It paid for my next detector.

I learned to research areas, especially for CW activity. If there were clearly old trees then I would get excited since the spot wasn't landscaped. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

I was lucky to have a hunting partner, who lived just outside the city. He had hunted since the 70's, most of the area, and knew tons of people. Talk about a wealth of information and research! I come down once a year to visit him and hunt. We always find cool stuff.

In spots like Chatt' many spots have been hunted that aren't private property. Think outside the box and you'll find the darndest things in the darndest places! HH

Back
Top Bottom